Author Topic: COVID-19 - UK on Lockdown - Boris Johnson Tests Positive  (Read 110216 times)

Varadi, Weezertron, MattS and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online kingkerouac

• General Member
  • Camden Town, London, UK
Re: COVID-19 - UK on Lockdown
« Reply #7325 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:19:55 PM »
On the subject of Johnson and his disastrous handling of this, what do people think should happen after this is over?
We can't go on the same way. Johnson and his ilk will be proved to have been a danger to all lives and well-being.
The magic appearance of the money they told us wasn't there. To our faces. On national TV.
And for a government so 'Strong & Stable', they're really are shitting themselves now...

I think disastrous is being harsh imo. The magic appearance of money is exactly why we as a country have been able to offer to pay for so many people out of work. We could have spent billions upgrading our rail network, communication network, but in times like this what help would that be now?

I have no issue with the country hoarding money because as we've seen, sooner or later we would need it for something unexpected.

Also after the 2008 banking crisis in which brown decided to give all our money to the banks, we have every reason to tighten out purse 😂
Any PM at any time would've done the same as Brown though, and every country in the world dealt with banking crisis by bailing the banks out, are you suggesting there was another way?
A lot of other western countries used economic stimulus, Our government chose to attack its own people through austerity - no excuses.
It was incompetence or cruelty -  one or the other.

On Johnson, do you think any other PM would've got away with making a national broadcast without brushing his hair or cleaning the lint off their jacket?
Do you think any other PM would've gotten away with NOT publishing the Russian Election Interference report, especially given that the Tories get over half their money from Russia?
Do you think any other PM would've gotten away with his chaotic switching the tactics on the response to Covid-19 like he did?

You've got to admit, he is a liability and an embarrassment to the nation.

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #7326 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:28:16 PM »
Lets hope when we come out of this its a massive learning curve for everyone

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it won't be.

At least the general public know how serious a pandemic is now and wont take it lightly ever again

Wait, what? You including the BBQ gangs?

Love to know what the anti-vaxxers will make of this though.

Was hoping this would be the end of anti-vaxxers and libertarians but then I remembered that they are anti-vaxxers and libertarians.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7327 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:32:01 PM »
You don’t hear much from the Taxpayers Alliance and their mates from other merry groups of arseholes currently. They’ll be back the second it’s safe though.

The only change will be NHS staff will be less despised for a bit until the hit pieces about their failings come out. Austerity will be demanded and voters will be keen to see the Blues get back to work and make England great again.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7328 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:33:07 PM »
You always cheer me up Disco.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7329 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:37:45 PM »
You always cheer me up Disco.

It’s not in anyone’s interests for it not to go back to normal.

I find it hard to believe that loads of Tory MPs that have worked their life to trying to make England in their own image to benefit their own demographics are suddenly change their mind across the board. And that’s before their business interests, donors interests, big business lobbies etc.

Conversely it’s probably for the best from a public order/safety POV it’s a blue government as people would’ve been demanding a coup and civil unrest had Labour been in charge and started spending money like this. In addition to actively doing the opposite of whatever they were being asked of.
« Last Edit: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:51:37 PM by Disco »

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #7330 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:38:04 PM »
Lets hope when we come out of this its a massive learning curve for everyone

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it won't be.

At least the general public know how serious a pandemic is now and wont take it lightly ever again

The weather is above 10°C. It's shirts off, charvers out drinking on their doorstep on my street.

They've grown up not listening to their parents. They've grown up not listening to teachers. They've gone onto not listen to the police. So good look getting them to listen to Boris when their political views on Facebook is down as 'cudnt giv a f***!!11!!!!'

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Leeds Leeds Leeds
« Reply #7331 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:05:03 PM »
Just got off a call with everyone in my company and we're all being asked to take a 75% reduction in both pay and hours for the next 3 months. Mint.
Ahh man, you need to ensure they've taken legal advice about the government schemes available etc.
:lol: Sorry, that was meant to say 25% reduction. Down to 75%.
No where near as bad. But still s*** :lol:

:lol: FFS
It is s***, like. Can you not be furloughed and get the 80% ?

We still have work coming in, just obviously not as much. Some clients we'll see an increase in work from, other's we'll definitely see less. They're planning for a worst case scenario over the next 3 months of a drop off of around 35% in gross profit.

They're planning to remain open but reduce capacity. Then hopefully when demand starts to increase again return to 100%. By furloughing people we cut off our ability to bring money in during this period. By trying to match the furlough contribution and provide work and to maintain as much as a fully functioning business as possible, the worst case might not happen and we might be able to get back to 100% wages sooner. Or at least limit the damage to 3 months and ensure we can be back to full capacity when everything kicks off again.

Just to add to this because other people might find themselves in a similar position soon. Our place has moved quite fast in looking to take steps to mitigate this. We were on lockdown a week before anyone else, lots of talks with clients and workers etc and looking to bring in this wage reduction scheme for these 3 months whilst in lockdown where, theoretically, most people's costs should be lower, and not have to reduce wages or make redundancies after 3 months where it may be harder for people especially the way the job market is going to be...

This scheme is voluntary, obviously. They cant make you take a 25% cut as youre contracted, you have to agree, but it's an all or nothing agreement. if 1 person doesn't consent, then the company don't go ahead with it at all, and we look at other options. I only know this due to discussions with my line manager. 99% of the rest of the company are not aware. Ive already had a fair few members of staff be in touch with me due to my position, furious about it, saying people that earn more should be paying a higher percentage etc, and that they are going to refuse. Which I personally feel is an AWFUL idea. The younger people in our company, usually the lower paid people just because time, are furious. We havent done well in explaining it all to everyone. Everyone should be aware that if they say no to it, we arent doing it full stop. Which could really put a lot of people's jobs at risk.
If we furlough people for 3 months, we would be in no way able to guarantee that we wouldn't be having to make redundancies afterwards. Mainly because we still expect at least 70% of our cash flow to remain, but our ability to meet the demand would reduce. We already run very f***ing lean.
The most terrifying thing at this time imo is the prospect of someone being unemployed in the next 12 months, because that will be f***ing horrific. It's in everyone's best interests imo, to agree to this and hopefully we're able to return to a bit more normal in 3 months. It might be a little longer, it might be less. Our company will help people who will legitimately struggle to take this cut. But again theyve not really said this to anyone. Maybe in fear of the demand for help if they did. But if someone gets in touch with management and says 'I cant consent because I couldn't cope' then we'll look to help them. Whether that be a smaller decrease, talking to landlords or whatever about rent and payments etc... This needs communicating better so people can make informed decisons.
I do feel a bit of life support for us as a business is a good idea for as short a term as possible. We need everyone to agree but we need to help people that will struggle. Because at the end of the day the objective here is to ensure that they still have a job. That everyone still has a job. A lot of people already not really seeing that. Protecting 75% of your income now for 3 months to be assured of returning to 100% after and continually is the absolutely best plan of action. People need all the info and assurances about how any nuances may be managed, though. Otherwise they could ruin the whole thing for everyone.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #7332 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:06:33 PM »
Why do you have to take a 25% paycut when the government are paying 80% of salary?  Are they pocketing the other 5%?

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7333 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:08:45 PM »
Why do you have to take a 25% paycut when the government are paying 80% of salary?  Are they pocketing the other 5%?

The governments scheme doesn't work like that.

Offline newsted

• General Member
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, EU
« Reply #7334 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:13:47 PM »
Our place is going to send letters to all staff saying they'll be made redundant "just so they can get the government help". Aye, right.
:) As you were.

Offline Skeletor

• General Member
  • I joined Newcastle before they were mainstream
« Reply #7335 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:21:40 PM »
Asda had loads of toilet paper today. And I went at 14:30. Was surreal.
'Rock over London, Rock on Chicago! Wheaties: breakfast of champions.'

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Leeds Leeds Leeds
« Reply #7336 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:25:19 PM »

They'll only pay the 80% of anyone who is essentially made redundant and who isn't working. So for me to get that 80%, id have to not work for however long. If enough people do that, we as a company have reduced capacity to deliver on existing agreements and new work - which we'll get. We can survive, but we'll be hamstrung for a bit. Which is why we want to retain all employees because if we cant deliver on commitments now we may not be able to offer employment after.

I'd much rather work and get 75% than not and get 80% but also potentially lose my job somewhere further down the line. Or I keep mine and others lose theirs. Anyone that has to look for work int he next 12 months is going to be having a f***ing horrific experience. No ta.
« Last Edit: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:36:11 PM by Super Duper Branko Strupar »
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7337 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:32:28 PM »
Recycling collection has stopped where I live, just refuse now. I know it's not critical really, but my building is going to be absolutely overflowing with plastic packaging.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #7338 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:37:21 PM »
I’m not sure I’m going to be a 12 weeker after all.
I haven’t received a letter yet, which my work will want from me.
I rang my GP office and they said they aren’t sending letters out, it’s up to the government, despite then yesterday saying I qualified.
I rang my cardiologists office though to see what they say. They are going to get back to me.
I’m not sure I’m going to be in this category though.

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #7339 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:52:15 PM »
COVID-19 may have come from Bats or maybe Pangolins (or neither). At the end of the day, the Far East needs to give up on bullshit "traditional medicine". Also, the sooner the world can grow all its meat in a lab the better.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52048195

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51496830
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Online Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #7340 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 05:30:27 PM »
Decent support announced for self employed just now - this whole thing is going to be costing an absolute f***ing fortune

Online Judge Holden

• General Member
« Reply #7341 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 05:34:57 PM »
Whys Boris not taking this one?

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #7342 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 05:36:49 PM »
Because it's mainly been about measures for the self employed which is more the Chancellor's remit. Boris hasn't been at every press conference.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Online Judge Holden

• General Member
« Reply #7343 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 05:37:37 PM »
Ta, only started watching a few mins ago

Offline TRon

• General Member
« Reply #7344 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 05:58:28 PM »
On the subject of Johnson and his disastrous handling of this, what do people think should happen after this is over?
We can't go on the same way. Johnson and his ilk will be proved to have been a danger to all lives and well-being.
The magic appearance of the money they told us wasn't there. To our faces. On national TV.
And for a government so 'Strong & Stable', they're really are shitting themselves now...

I think disastrous is being harsh imo. The magic appearance of money is exactly why we as a country have been able to offer to pay for so many people out of work. We could have spent billions upgrading our rail network, communication network, but in times like this what help would that be now?

I have no issue with the country hoarding money because as we've seen, sooner or later we would need it for something unexpected.

Also after the 2008 banking crisis in which brown decided to give all our money to the banks, we have every reason to tighten out purse <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_32.png);background-position:59.9882491186839% 61.98589894242068%;background-size:5418.75% 5418.75%" data-codepoints="1f602"></span></span>
Any PM at any time would've done the same as Brown though, and every country in the world dealt with banking crisis by bailing the banks out, are you suggesting there was another way?
A lot of other western countries used economic stimulus, Our government chose to attack its own people through austerity - no excuses.
It was incompetence or cruelty -  one or the other.

On Johnson, do you think any other PM would've got away with making a national broadcast without brushing his hair or cleaning the lint off their jacket?
Do you think any other PM would've gotten away with NOT publishing the Russian Election Interference report, especially given that the Tories get over half their money from Russia?
Do you think any other PM would've gotten away with his chaotic switching the tactics on the response to Covid-19 like he did?

You've got to admit, he is a liability and an embarrassment to the nation.

I wish I could believe that. He's an embarrassment to the nation in the same way Trump is an embarrassment to his nation. In other words, he's an embarrassment, but still wildly popular among the gun totin' hicks and deep south plantation owners.

I'm sure for every person who finds Boris an embarrassment there'll be two more who think he's a spiffing fella who is the second coming of Churchill.

Offline TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #7345 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 06:01:59 PM »
Seemed to be decent support package/options for self employed.

Only thing I wasn't sure about, was when he said they can claim the support but also keep trading.

Surely those looking for the support are those self employed that have lost income and been forced/will be forced to stop work or close because of the lockdown measures - i.e. hairdressers, and perhaps small builders if sites close down.

So how can claim the support and still work?
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Offline CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #7346 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 06:02:07 PM »
Christ, New York is looking scary. Turning the Javits Center into a hospital and temporary morgues on the east side :(

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #7347 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 06:03:54 PM »
Just got told my job is safe at least through early May, so I guess that's something positive

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #7348 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 06:05:33 PM »

I'm a leftie, but I wouldn't say the government have handled this that badly. it's an unprecedented situation, and I feel our plan, although a bit slow to get going does seem to be backed up by science and have a lot of thought put into it. You will always get media outlets from opposite political viewpoints trying to find stories / reasons to portray it as a disaster, but the truth is we've done just as much if not more than other countries have.

Apart from the beginning “herd immunity” plan. The “I’ve shaken hands with lots of coronavirus patients”. As far as I recall the herd immunity thing was a massive f*** up. Boris went on tv and said we should take it on the chin iirc
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #7349 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 06:06:12 PM »
Over half a million infected Globally now