Author Topic: COVID-19 - UK on Lockdown - Boris Johnson Tests Positive  (Read 110308 times)

jdm0301, neesy111, samptime29, Gorilla, Paully, chopey (+ 3 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Bizza

• General Member
  • Darlington FC, Newcastle United
Re: COVID-19 - UK on Lockdown
« Reply #7300 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:03:20 PM »
Just been out for the first time since Friday and it feels like a different world out there now. So f***ing quiet.

Local Sainsburys near me seems to be getting back to normal, still no bog roll mind and very little beer. We really are a nation of alcoholics :lol:

Online LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #7301 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:06:24 PM »
The official word on face masks
Since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, the official advice from the World Health Organization has been clear. Only two types of people should wear masks: those who are sick and show symptoms, and those who are caring for people who are suspected to have the coronavirus.

Nobody else needs to wear a mask

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52015486

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • Camden Town, London, UK
« Reply #7302 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:09:58 PM »
On the subject of Johnson and his disastrous handling of this, what do people think should happen after this is over?
We can't go on the same way. Johnson and his ilk will be proved to have been a danger to all lives and well-being.
The magic appearance of the money they told us wasn't there. To our faces. On national TV.
And for a government so 'Strong & Stable', they're really are shitting themselves now...

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #7303 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:11:45 PM »
Listening to tunes whilst working is mint like.
Can you not do that anyway?
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #7304 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:14:25 PM »
Since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, the official advice from the World Health Organization has been clear. Only two types of people should wear masks: those who are sick and show symptoms, and those who are caring for people who are suspected to have the coronavirus.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Surely the ideal scenario would be 100% of people wearing masks if supply wasn't an issue?  As that would cover asymptomatic people too.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7305 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:14:36 PM »
On the subject of Johnson and his disastrous handling of this, what do people think should happen after this is over?
We can't go on the same way. Johnson and his ilk will be proved to have been a danger to all lives and well-being.
The magic appearance of the money they told us wasn't there. To our faces. On national TV.
And for a government so 'Strong & Stable', they're really are shitting themselves now...

There's truth to that, but there's also the 'he got us through the crisis' effect unfortunately.

Online LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #7306 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:16:50 PM »

Surely the ideal scenario would be 100% of people wearing masks if supply wasn't an issue?  As that would cover asymptomatic people too.

The article goes on to say not all agree with W.H.O and mentions your point about asymptomatic people spreading it.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
  • The Dirty Pitchers
« Reply #7307 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:18:23 PM »

The article goes on to say not all agree with W.H.O and mentions your point about asymptomatic people spreading it.

I'm getting a bane mask. Gonna wear it 24-7

Offline loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #7308 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:19:31 PM »

You're not in that scenario though.  You're in the scenario where there's a shortage of masks and people buying them to misuse for their private needs is taking them away from healthcare workers who actually need them.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #7309 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:19:54 PM »

:thup: Fair enough, I guess supply is an issue therefore the WHO don't want to encourage panic buying amongst the general public.

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #7310 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:20:55 PM »
Re: masks, I've been watching those videos about sticking a thong over your face. Might just go for it.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #7311 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:21:01 PM »

Is there a consensus that the handling of it has been a disaster? I can't stand the man but I'm waiting to see how it plays out. He'll probably be judged in comparison with other countries.

The money that is magically there is from massive borrowing to deal with a temporary crisis, I don't think people are going to look at it and say "why couldn't this have been spent BEFORE corona sent the world into a massive global recession?".

The underfunding of the NHS over the past 10 years is the most legitimate stick to beat the conservatives with at the moment, but no one can say it wouldn't be overwhelmed if it was funded to the levels of say France.

Offline 11Tino11

• General Member
« Reply #7312 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:22:36 PM »
We'll definitely be getting Austerity 2.0. Hopefully we at least demand the rich pay for it this time although I've got a feeling the majority are just going to meekly accept that we're the ones who are going to have to foot the bill again.

Offline Scotty66

• General Member
« Reply #7313 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:24:21 PM »

I think disastrous is being harsh imo. The magic appearance of money is exactly why we as a country have been able to offer to pay for so many people out of work. We could have spent billions upgrading our rail network, communication network, but in times like this what help would that be now?

I have no issue with the country hoarding money because as we've seen, sooner or later we would need it for something unexpected.

Also after the 2008 banking crisis in which brown decided to give all our money to the banks, we have every reason to tighten out purse 😂

Offline loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #7314 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:26:17 PM »

I think disastrous is being harsh imo. The magic appearance of money is exactly why we as a country have been able to offer to pay for so many people out of work. We could have spent billions upgrading our rail network, communication network, but in times like this what help would that be now?

I have no issue with the country hoarding money because as we've seen, sooner or later we would need it for something unexpected.

Also after the 2008 banking crisis in which brown decided to give all our money to the banks, we have every reason to tighten out purse 😂

Running the biggest deficits in British history is 'hoarding money'?
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7315 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:28:09 PM »
We could have spent lots of money on fixing the country before this as it would had made our GDP much larger as growth has been shambolic in recent years and still borrowed this money.

People are clueless to think it was either that or this.

Online Shadow Puppets

• General Member
« Reply #7316 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:39:39 PM »

I'm a leftie, but I wouldn't say the government have handled this that badly. it's an unprecedented situation, and I feel our plan, although a bit slow to get going does seem to be backed up by science and have a lot of thought put into it. You will always get media outlets from opposite political viewpoints trying to find stories / reasons to portray it as a disaster, but the truth is we've done just as much if not more than other countries have.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7317 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:44:29 PM »
It's the decade before this that's the problem, but I can see how getting through a crisis will make people feel more positive towards the government. Isn't that how wars tend to work?

Offline Pixelphish

• General Member
« Reply #7318 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:48:45 PM »
I absolutely love that website, man. It's like fan fiction but the fact the people writing it believe what they're saying gives it that edge.

Enough about RTG.

:lol:
Aye. Just felt I did it at the same time as you and you came out tops every time. Just in a bad mood now after Pixelhax.

Have to get this out now:

Pixel you're either hacking with the demo, or you're too f***ing good to constantly hammer us to the ground with it every time we play. Starts to take the p*ss a bit. I mean, I don't want you to not enjoy the game, but at the same time I'd quite like to enjoy playing it too.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #7319 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 02:57:37 PM »
The government have done some good stuff and I've been fairly impressed with Sunak/Hancock.

That said, IMO big mistakes have been made that need to be looked at retrospectively once this over.  We did not take heed of the situation in Asia and only woke up when it was happening closer to home.  Also, scientific advice or not, the original idea to try to ride out the virus which was apparently abandoned when the model showed 250k potential deaths was a massive f***-up and thank God it was spotted fairly early.  There has also been mixed messaging on the "guidance" for sure, and worrying talk of lags in producing equipment.  And no checks at borders as of a few weeks ago when the likes of India/Taiwan were checking/quarantining all visitors.

A lot of this stuff has led to the loss of valuable time and resource, and led to us being more reactive than pro-active.

Like anything it's not black and white, like "government good" or "government bad" - it has been a bit of a mixed bag tbh and should be reviewed later on for sure.

Online chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #7320 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:00:40 PM »
Lets hope when we come out of this its a massive learning curve for everyone
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
  • The Dirty Pitchers
« Reply #7321 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:07:33 PM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it won't be.

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
  • The Dirty Pitchers
« Reply #7322 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:07:59 PM »
Re: masks, I've been watching those videos about sticking a thong over your face. Might just go for it.

Clean ones won't work.

Online chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #7323 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:10:35 PM »

At least the general public know how serious a pandemic is now and wont take it lightly ever again
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
  • The Dirty Pitchers
« Reply #7324 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 03:14:58 PM »

At least the general public know how serious a pandemic is now and wont take it lightly ever again

Wait, what? You including the BBQ gangs?

Love to know what the anti-vaxxers will make of this though.