Author Topic: COVID-19 - 'Milestone' vaccine offers 90% protection  (Read 596916 times)

Bizza, maybe_next_year and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline David Edgar

• General Member
  • But it is what it is. We are where we are.
Re: COVID-19 - 'Milestone' vaccine offers 90% protection
« Reply #24025 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 11:12:04 AM »
?s=19

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #24026 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 10:41:14 PM »
Boris Johnson is poised to announce up to a week of freedom from COVID-19 restrictions at Christmas - but tough rules will remain in force in England after the national lockdown ends on 2 December

Absolute madness imo :idiot2:

How many more people will die because the government didn't have the balls to make a tough decision?

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #24027 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 11:59:50 PM »
Boris Johnson is poised to announce up to a week of freedom from COVID-19 restrictions at Christmas - but tough rules will remain in force in England after the national lockdown ends on 2 December

How many more people will die because the government didn't have the balls to make a tough decision?

Even if they did, it wouldn't be followed and would be impossible to police.

Offline St. Maximin

« Reply #24028 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:16:40 AM »

I kind of felt this way but there’s plenty of logic behind it tbh. They’re firstly aware many are going to break the rules anyway. Secondly it might be callous of me, but we ultimately can’t just judge covid policies by how many deaths occur over a short period. Mental health and well-being, considering it seems like such a popular topic these days in many ways, seems to be often be ignored when it comes to covid because it’s not an obvious immediate threat to the extent covid is.

Ultimately it’s been a s*** year and loneliness, especially of the elderly, has been a serious issue way before the pandemic. A Christmas alone is going to be a horrible thought for so many and the harms on restrictions to civil liberties must always be taken into account, rather than just simply looking at death figures.

And while we can blame the government for their policies, it’s still up to the vulnerable and those close to the vulnerable to be especially responsible and know the risks. They should really know by now and as bad as the government are, they will continue to make the risks clear. Also on a personal note, I follow lockdown rules, I do my bit to act responsibly in public and don’t plan to mix with vulnerable family members, so rightly or wrongly I’d be pretty p*ssed off if after this year I can’t go see my family and have to stay alone in London on Christmas Day.

Offline Ketsbaia

• General Member
« Reply #24029 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:19:24 AM »
Don't need a week for it.

Just the 25th, maybe 24th or 26th at a push.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #24030 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:22:25 AM »
It just makes no sense at all for anyone who can die from covid to see their family indoors, sad to say. They'll be all boomer casual about it and go 'oh, I'll take my chances' but then families are going to have to live with the fact their Mum or Gran died because they wanted to share a turkey. I hate lockdown but that's absolutely crazy.

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #24031 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:28:15 AM »
It just makes no sense at all for anyone who can die from covid to see their family in doors, sad to say. They'll be all boomer casual about it and go 'oh, I'll take my chances' but then families are going to have to live with the fact their Mum or Gran died because they wanted to share a Turkey. I hate lockdown but that's absolutely crazy.

:thup:

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #24032 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:28:25 AM »
Thought a woman on LBC put it quite well the other day when she said think of your annual family photo round the Christmas table, now think how you'll feel when you look at this year's in February and some of the people on it are dead because of that day. Is that worth it?
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Decky

• General Member
« Reply #24033 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:30:19 AM »
Thought a woman on LBC put it quite well the other day when she said think of your annual family photo round the Christmas table, now think how you'll feel when you look at this year's in February and some of the people on it are dead because of that day. Is that worth it?

Or how it'll look next year with empty seats.
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Offline St. Maximin

« Reply #24034 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:30:56 AM »
It just makes no sense at all for anyone who can die from covid to see their family in doors, sad to say. They'll be all boomer casual about it and go 'oh, I'll take my chances' but then families are going to have to live with the fact their Mum or Gran died because they wanted to share a Turkey. I hate lockdown but that's absolutely crazy.
I’m not denying the clear risks, but there’s still logic behind wanting to see family after a terrible year and it being indoors given the typical British winter weather. There are stupid and selfish people in this country for sure, but I don’t think the majority are going to act like that irresponsibly especially if it involves vulnerable family members.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #24035 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:32:48 AM »
There's logic behind wanting to see people all the time, it's just not safe.

Personally I would rather set the rules, then if people want to break them it's on their conscience if something happens to a member of their family. Better than somehow saying it's OK.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #24036 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:34:01 AM »
If we do get a week off for Christmas, it means we'll be locked down for January and February instead.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #24037 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:36:20 AM »
If we do get a week off for Christmas, it means we'll be locked down for January and February instead.

While that's bad, it would be a mistake to focus on that as the main negative. It's all very well having population-level views about the number of cases and the number of extra deaths it'll cause, but in this case it's very personal.

If you meet your family they're at risk, if you don't they aren't. No statistics are going to matter to people when individual members of their family are seriously ill.

Offline Hhtoon

• General Member
« Reply #24038 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:40:48 AM »

Personally I would rather set the rules, then if people want to break them it's on their conscience if something happens to a member of their family. Better than somehow saying it's OK.

It's still on their conscience - everyone knows the risks. Just because the govt says you can do something doesn't mean you have to.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #24039 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:41:01 AM »
It's a f***ing idiotic policy, if you give people an inch they'll go a mile.  Should just be strict restrictions and if people want to break them then fine, but also face the consequences of doing so.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #24040 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:41:56 AM »

It's still on their conscience - everyone knows the risks. Just because the govt says you can do something doesn't mean you have to.

Yeah, I just mean the rules should set the tone about what is and isn't the right thing to do. Saying people can meet because you think they'll meet anyway isn't the right way to go IMO.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #24041 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:46:05 AM »
You'd think people would learn after what we saw with eat out to help out that eating/drinking next to people is a brilliant way to spread the virus.

Offline Decky

• General Member
« Reply #24042 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:49:00 AM »
Its a joke tbh. Restrictions for about 6 weeks to 2 months, get Christmas free from restrictions but it'll likely cost businesses 2 months earnings in the new year. We should have locked down fully for a month earlier and eased off the same as the summer. The only silver lining is the lockdown in the new year will hopefully be the last one.
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Offline St. Maximin

« Reply #24043 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:52:11 AM »
It’s still giving people a choice to exercise their own judgement. Not the same as when the government were urging people very unnecessarily to get back into the office. I agree it only needs to be 24-26th, but rightly or wrongly I find it hard to argue for it to be completely illegal also when it still involves people making their own decisions. I appreciate I have changed my mind over things as the pandemic has gone on, but sadly any policy seems to have serious risks - just not always in the same way or for the same demographics.

Offline Hhtoon

• General Member
« Reply #24044 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 01:05:06 AM »

She sounds like a nutter.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #24045 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 11:02:27 AM »

Corby probs would've gave the home and money to immigrants though.

Offline duo

• General Member
« Reply #24046 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:06:44 PM »
It's a f***ing idiotic policy, if you give people an inch they'll go a mile.  Should just be strict restrictions and if people want to break them then fine, but also face the consequences of doing so.
Many don't care anymore - public opinion is changing and it is not helped by some elements of the press fanning the flames saying the government have exaggerated how bad things are.  The government haven't helped themselves either by changing the metrics as to what counts as a covid death.  And because of that you can't compare the figures with the first wave - it wont give a true like for like - wont look as bad. From a personal perspective though I know a lot more people who have caught it this time and others I speak to are finding the same. 

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #24047 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:09:19 PM »
Public opinion supports lockdown from every poll I’ve seen.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #24048 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:22:47 PM »
If they let us see family, I'll be seeing my young and fit family (sister/sister in law) and not seeing the older ones. They all WFH and will agree to self isolate afterwards, and I'll have a pretty clear conscience doing it.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #24049 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 12:23:59 PM »
Public opinion supports lockdown from every poll I’ve seen.

It might well but the anti side is growing is the point.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.