Poll

Does it matter where the money comes from?

Yes
22 (35.5%)
No
40 (64.5%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Success at what cost?  (Read 5151 times)

Offline TRon

• General Member
Re: Success at what cost?
« Reply #225 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 07:45:06 PM »
Maybe the wrong thread to announce it but I’ll fight anyone who hasn’t seen Carlito’s Way :lol:

I'm alright then...seen it three times...just for Benny Blanco! :lol:

Offline Strawberry

• General Member
« Reply #226 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 08:33:36 PM »
SUCCESS AT ANY COST.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 09:10:11 PM »
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • pizzas ordered during social distancing: 36
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 09:27:22 PM »
SUCCESS AT ANY COST.
Your kids ?
A trophy gathering dust in a cabinet somewhere would still amount to more in life than any offspring that takes half its DNA from me, so I’m in, at least. :lol:

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #229 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 09:36:35 PM »
SUCCESS AT ANY COST.
Your kids ?
A trophy gathering dust in a cabinet somewhere would still amount to more in life than any offspring that takes half its DNA from me, so I’m in, at least. :lol:

WWBD?

Offline thomas

• General Member
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 09:51:11 PM »
SUCCESS AT ANY COST.
Your kids ?

WWBD?
hes a Mets fan so f*** ‘im.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 09:53:54 PM »
SUCCESS AT ANY COST.
Your kids ?

WWBD?
hes a Mets fan so f*** ‘im.

Bernie?

Offline thomas

• General Member
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 10:03:48 PM »
Yes. Don’t for a second believe the Red Sox results from your search.

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Long Island, NY
« Reply #233 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 10:29:32 PM »
...Mets? f***ing hell that changes things.

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #234 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 10:45:53 PM »
Or you could look at it as a way to distract from him chopping up journalists and beheading Shias.

Does this really work? ‘Shush man, Newcastle are 2nd in the league’.
not alone but as part of a broader sportswashing strategy with other sporting events they've been hosting over there like boxing, golf and the Spanish Super Cup

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #235 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 11:59:32 PM »
I gave up on the club years ago because of Ashley.  A new owner could convince me to return, but not this one.  He's only interested in the club to improve his profile in the west, and judging by this thread, it'll work.

You’re well within you’re right to make that decision. Hopefully you’ll be able to find a non-league team to support so you can enjoy football again? Can imagine it being quite hard to continue posting on here amongst all the positive threads about Mbappe scoring the winning champions league final goal?

I'll just support Valladolid instead.

Offline Consortium of one

• General Member
  • Connecticut, USA
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday 29 January 2020, 02:38:12 PM »
My love of sports has slowly been beaten out of me.  Its almost not worth it to follow my teams anymore.  Its not just their individual mismanagement and mediocre results as much as it is the total disregard of the fan.  It's disheartening and is more than just my slide into old age and cynicism.  Its never about sport anymore; just money and the fastest way to get it.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday 29 January 2020, 02:43:46 PM »
My love of sports has slowly been beaten out of me.  Its almost not worth it to follow my teams anymore.  Its not just their individual mismanagement and mediocre results as much as it is the total disregard of the fan.  It's disheartening and is more than just my slide into old age and cynicism.  Its never about sport anymore; just money and the fastest way to get it.

Indeed. It's why I look forward to the international tournaments more than anything in the calendar now, there remains a purity to them that, even taking into account the gross way FIFA go about staging them, once they begin those events are ultimately about the sporting glory most of all.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday 29 January 2020, 02:59:34 PM »

Indeed. It's why I look forward to the international tournaments more than anything in the calendar now, there remains a purity to them that, even taking into account the gross way FIFA go about staging them, once they begin those events are ultimately about the sporting glory most of all.

This, broadly. I really enjoy the NFL though because there is still a level of parity, although that's underpinned by a significant amount of exploitation of labour. It's also helped because I'm part of an NFL community here and it was always important to me that sporting teams are rooted in their community.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Pilko

• General Member
  • Bunsen burner
« Reply #239 on: Wednesday 29 January 2020, 06:58:19 PM »
In the words of Bart Simpson "To get to Duff Gardens, I'd ride with Satan himself."
"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception." - David Brent

Offline Thorpinho

• General Member
« Reply #240 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 10:47:58 PM »
May have been mentioned but saudi money controls sheff utd doesn't it?

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #241 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 10:53:57 PM »
private individual compared to the literal saudi state as reports on this indicate

Offline Nobody

• That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #242 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 12:44:34 AM »
Lets aim to compete with the likes of AC Milan, Dortmond, Ajax, Athletico Madrid and most of all bring the fans back together under the banner of UNITED rather than have the p*ss taking out of us every year by Ashley and his yes men. 
While this isn't really the point of this thread (I would welcome our new space muslim overlords), I agree with this in general. Want our club to be successful, but would like it to be done in a professional, methodical manner, where we're not buying success for ridiculous money. Obviously huge money is going to be needed after the years of underinvestment, but wouldn't feel right signing Mbappe in the summer for £200m for example.

Offline TRon

• General Member
« Reply #243 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 12:45:33 AM »
private individual compared to the literal saudi state as reports on this indicate

So do we know it is the literal Saudi state as opposed to private companies or individiuals on this one?

Offline Nobody

• That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #244 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 12:48:01 AM »

So do we know it is the literal Saudi state as opposed to private companies or individiuals on this one?

Well aye, it's reported it's the crown prince and his sovereign wealth fund behind this.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #245 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 07:40:52 AM »

That's pretty well known it is, it's the saudi regimes sovereign wealth fund.

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #246 on: Sunday 2 February 2020, 09:28:09 PM »

I'm still not 100% convinced on this personally. Sure they're not gonna just write Ashley a blank cheque but if they've decided they want the club, unlike pretty much every other buyer, they'd just get it f***ing done.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #247 on: Sunday 2 February 2020, 09:31:06 PM »

I'm still not 100% convinced on this personally. Sure they're not gonna just write Ashley a blank cheque but if they've decided they want the club, unlike pretty much every other buyer, they'd just get it f***ing done.

Why?  Do you think because they've got billions then another £50m is a drop in the ocean for them?  Then you're wrong, this is an investment which means they will only pay what they think it's worth.  Rich people are tight c***s as well.

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #248 on: Sunday 2 February 2020, 09:53:41 PM »

Why?  Do you think because they've got billions then another £50m is a drop in the ocean for them?  Then you're wrong, this is an investment which means they will only pay what they think it's worth.  Rich people are tight c***s as well.

They've got hundreds of billions in that fund. If they decided nufc was their sportswashing vehicle I think it'd just get done yeah.

Also I'm of the opinion money is likely not the issue, it'll be advertising and such.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire