39 (41.9%)
no - I prefer traditional 'men only'
22 (23.7%)
No opinion
11 (11.8%)
Big Geordie is an out of touch dinosaur
21 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Female commentators - yay or nay?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Disco

Re: Female commentators - yay or nay?
« Reply #100 on: Monday 13 January 2020, 08:39:52 PM »
If they're good, aye. If they're s****, no.

A rare accurate post.

Offline Collage

• General Member
« Reply #101 on: Monday 13 January 2020, 09:49:18 PM »

A rare accurate post.

Yeah, only male commentators should be allowed to be s****.

Offline Mattoon

• General Member
« Reply #102 on: Monday 13 January 2020, 10:16:57 PM »
This thread needs to be burned with fire, the only thing that matters is if they're knowledgeable, which tbf negates most of the men in commentary at the moment.
[What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.

Offline xLiaaamx

• General Member
« Reply #103 on: Monday 13 January 2020, 10:24:50 PM »
Rank, this whole thread is rank.

The correct answer is yes, with no secondary qualifying statement to appease sexists. Just yes.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #104 on: Monday 13 January 2020, 10:38:59 PM »

A rare accurate post.

Yeah, only male commentators should be allowed to be s****.

Exactly, loads of men are allowed to be s*** commentators. Like with Sian Massey, people saying it's OK for women to run the line as long as they've expertly studied the game, the same people who scream at male linesmen every game for being f***ing clueless.  A male referee gave a free kick against us for encroachment on a penalty :lol: 

Offline Mattoon

• General Member
« Reply #105 on: Monday 13 January 2020, 10:43:03 PM »
Rank, this whole thread is rank.

The correct answer is yes, with no secondary qualifying statement to appease sexists. Just yes.

Fwiw I wasn't trying to appease any sexists with my comment, I don't want to listen to men who aren't knowledgeable either, I'll quite happily watch a game on mute if someone like Owen is commentating :thup:
[What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.

Offline geordiesteve710

• General Member
« Reply #106 on: Monday 13 January 2020, 11:07:52 PM »
Alex Scott often does the job (as a pundit, not sure if I've heard her commentate) better than many men.

Alex Scott is refreshing as a pundit because she has a genuine knowledge and enthusiasm for the game that shines through when she talks about it. She isn't just talking because she loves the sound of her own voice.

She hasn't got a f***ing clue what should or shouldn't be given as a foul mind but that's not because she's a lass, it's because she spent her career at Arsenal.

Never heard Doris Burke commentate but her name sounds like she should be a character in the Viz.
Log on to the N-O forum.
Check the transfer thread in the vague hope we might be going to spend some money, get p*ssed off.
Move to the Mike Ashley thread because I'm p*ssed off, get more p*ssed off.
Come to this thread to cheer myself up a bit.
Leave.
Repeat.

Online LV

• General Member
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday 14 January 2020, 08:20:55 AM »
Alex Scott often does the job (as a pundit, not sure if I've heard her commentate) better than many men.

Alex Scott is refreshing as a pundit because she has a genuine knowledge and enthusiasm for the game that shines through when she talks about it. She isn't just talking because she loves the sound of her own voice.

She hasn't got a f***ing clue what should or shouldn't be given as a foul mind but that's not because she's a lass, it's because she spent her career at Arsenal.

Never heard Doris Burke commentate but her name sounds like she should be a character in the Viz.

Doris Burke, Parish Clerk.

Online newsted

• General Member
  • Everything Louder Than Everything Else. RIP Lemmy.
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 14 January 2020, 09:06:57 PM »
:lol: The f*** is this thread? When I heard Jacqui Oatley got the Sunday Supplement gig I thought "Good. She'll have to have been twice as good as any f***er else to get there." Hope she knocks it out the park.

Sadly not surprised at who said what in here. :(   :booboo:
:) As you were.