Author Topic: UK Politics - Generation Tory  (Read 222807 times)

Offline Decky

• General Member
Re: UK Politics - Generation Tory
« Reply #6350 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 09:03:36 PM »
Honestly, he's easily the worst of the pack for me and given how many c***s there are in Government that's saying something. His constant smug grin when he is challenged on anything is sickening. And that picture of him and his mate who he made rich out of the pandemic, are there two more punchable faces on this planet?

Remember when he pretended to cry on the same show?  :lol: :lol:

Spoiler
[close]

:lol: I hate him so much.
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Online gbandit

• General Member
  • Brighton
« Reply #6351 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 10:15:19 PM »
That one-eye open grin is absolutely hideous. The face of a man who knows no matter what he does he’s never getting the sack

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6352 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:17:12 PM »
Busquets esque

Offline astraguy

• General Member
« Reply #6353 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:41:11 PM »
Can't see this country recovering soon i know boris won't put himself up for  re-election but the support he and others are getting is just insane, America woke up but we wont

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #6354 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:45:30 PM »
Can't see this country recovering soon i know boris won't put himself up for  re-election but the support he and others are getting is just insane, America woke up but we wont
Starter doesn't have the charisma to turn it around, the ideas to inspire. He just has cold measured pragmatism. That's not going to be enough unless it gets really, really bad before the next election. But with one of the worst death tolls, mass fraud with public contracts and the Brexit shambles I dread to think what that looks like.
Bearings Straight!

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #6355 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 12:22:09 AM »
Starter doesn't have the charisma to turn it around, the ideas to inspire. He just has cold measured pragmatism. That's not going to be enough unless it gets really, really bad before the next election. But with one of the worst death tolls, mass fraud with public contracts and the Brexit shambles I dread to think what that looks like.
It's not just down to Starmer, it's the Labour party. When Blair got in it was because of his party with many big names, even if they lacked ministerial experience they made hits. Even Corbyn had McDonnell and Long-Bailey but I'm struggling to see which other Labour front bencher is going to step up. I'm hoping its a pragmatic thing, let's get the pandemic over, closer to the election and start battering them.
It could be interesting if any by-elections came up in the Greater Manchester area if Andy Burnham would be tempted ?

Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6356 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 12:34:36 AM »
He’d be mad. Got it cushy.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #6357 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 01:19:21 AM »

Huge boost for the blues, and the seething masses, that it’s mainly younger people losing their jobs currently.
f***ing boomers got more jobs [emoji38] [emoji38]

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #6358 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 09:58:04 AM »
It's not just down to Starmer, it's the Labour party. When Blair got in it was because of his party with many big names, even if they lacked ministerial experience they made hits. Even Corbyn had McDonnell and Long-Bailey but I'm struggling to see which other Labour front bencher is going to step up. I'm hoping its a pragmatic thing, let's get the pandemic over, closer to the election and start battering them.
It could be interesting if any by-elections came up in the Greater Manchester area if Andy Burnham would be tempted ?

Doesn't matter who's in charge tbh. It's the mentality of half the labour voters that's the issue. They're more than willing to flush Starmer down the bog and start fresh with the next ritual sacrifice the second he announces a policy or anything they're not all in 100% agreement with. Not saying it's wrong to debate these things but the speed at which people will decide he's done for is mental.

All the while the Tories are sitting there safe in the knowledge that if they were to announce a policy that not all of their voters agreed with they'll still be fine because the voters will simply change their opinion to match the government and then claim that's what they wanted all along.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #6359 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 09:58:35 AM »
Lately I feel a little conflicted as to where I sit politically.

I’ve always identified as a centre left, usually Labour, occasionally Lib Dem or Green voter.

I would never vote Tory.

I firmly believe that the state should support the economy and public services and that the rich should be taxed more to pay for it. I believe the Tories have brought about the decline of this country.

But equally at the same time I feel like on some topics I have veered right or was perhaps never as lefty as I thought.

I believe for example that law and order should be tougher. Now part of this is just a case of better police funding but I also believe the criminal justice system in this soft. Whilst undecided on this issue, I think it’s worth having a discussion on the death penalty.

Another area is immigration. I do believe immigrants have a role to contribute to the country and the economy but I don’t believe in open doors, and we’ve been too soft - not just in terms of who we have allowed in, but that once people are in we don’t hold them to any minimum standards or expectations.

As an example, some new arrivals from Pakistan are dumping their excess rubbish outside my house for six months. I have spoken to them, arranged for Urdu speakers to speak to them etc but they are still dumping. On the WhatsApp group neighbours are demanding I install CCTV to identify whoever, or that I rummage through the litter to identify the perpetrator.

Eventually I do go through the rubbish and identify that it is the newly arrived family. But tJen the same people on the WhatsApp group turn right around having discovered that it is this family and insist that I don’t report them and show compassion towards their newly immigrated status. I feel all that compassion has been used up.

Am I actually a non-liberal asshole?

(Realise I’m an asshole generally btw before someone says)
A few quick thoughts....law and order being tougher, its a bit pointless if there is little to no effort at rehabilitation.

Immigration. ..there has never been an open door policy and I live close to an estate that is solidly salt of the earth eorking class types and the mess of the place through a minority is ridiculous.

A large part of the problem is people being lazy and believing others biases and not checking sources.
When I lived in Newcastle, ALL the crime and anti-social behaviour was committed by ill-educated white people.
I was burgled - several times - by white people. I was assaulted by white people. I saw white people stealing cars and burgling student flats.
Whomever are the poorest and most deprived people in any area, they'll be responsible for most of the crime.
Ethnic origin or skin colour has NOTHING to do with it.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #6360 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 10:01:13 AM »

Huge boost for the blues, and the seething masses, that it’s mainly younger people losing their jobs currently.

I'm in my 50s, and I've applied for over 220 jobs since May last year, and I have had zero responses, so this data surprises me.
All of the anecdotal evidence I've read says that the over 50s will struggle to get back into meaningful employment, so this is odd.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #6361 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 11:56:45 AM »

I'm in my 50s, and I've applied for over 220 jobs since May last year, and I have had zero responses, so this data surprises me.
All of the anecdotal evidence I've read says that the over 50s will struggle to get back into meaningful employment, so this is odd.

I've been working at Amazon since November to pay a few bills, plenty of over 50s took on there. Point being they're probably taking s***, menial jobs like that.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #6362 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 12:07:40 PM »

I've been working at Amazon since November to pay a few bills, plenty of over 50s took on there. Point being they're probably taking s***, menial jobs like that.

You're right. I've been trying for jobs in my usual industry - design and artwork - so I suppose there'll be a lot of supermarket. driving and warehouse jobs for the 50+.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #6363 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 12:11:31 PM »

You're right. I've been trying for jobs in my usual industry - design and artwork - so I suppose there'll be a lot of supermarket. driving and warehouse jobs for the 50+.

There's a lot said about the impact on the young, and rightly so, but when the fallout of this really hits there's gonna be a lot of people 40+ that are utterly f***ed. Myself included I think.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #6364 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 12:13:03 PM »

There's a lot said about the impact on the young, and rightly so, but when the fallout of this really hits there's gonna be a lot of people 40+ that are utterly f***ed. Myself included I think.

This is the problem with the pandemic, it's accelerated the shift's that were already happening but we hadn't done enough even before.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
« Reply #6365 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 12:42:25 PM »
Thought Starmer got absolutely battered in PMQ today. Obviously it’s partly because there’s no requirement to actually answer the questions, but even so.

Also, an unusual amount of those questions where an MP goes ‘there have been cuts’ and Johnson says ‘there has been no such cut’. I don’t get how those ones are allowed, surely there has to be some fact checking.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #6366 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 01:31:30 PM »
Thought Starmer got absolutely battered in PMQ today. Obviously it’s partly because there’s no requirement to actually answer the questions, but even so.

Also, an unusual amount of those questions where an MP goes ‘there have been cuts’ and Johnson says ‘there has been no such cut’. I don’t get how those ones are allowed, surely there has to be some fact checking.
Didnt see it but if so, Starmer has to start hammering and taking the p*ss out of the non answers, point out the difference between an answer and a reply, ie "Let Hansard show yet another reply when an answer was called for".
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #6367 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 01:36:38 PM »
He honestly looked like someone that had lost his confidence. It was a bizarre performance as he's usually at least a good standard.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline Smal

• General Member
  • Leeds/York
« Reply #6368 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 01:48:39 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We are finished.

Offline Smal

• General Member
  • Leeds/York
« Reply #6369 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 01:49:37 PM »
Like, honestly, who are they trying to appeal to with that bollocks?

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #6370 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 01:50:56 PM »
Like, honestly, who are they trying to appeal to with that bollocks?

Potential donors?

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #6371 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 02:02:48 PM »
:pow: :lol:

EDIT: As far as I've heard, it's not actually the wrong stance, but unsure how they're allowing themselves to fall into this trap.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Kill Your Masters
« Reply #6372 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 02:07:03 PM »
Higher corporation tax at a time where so many businesses are struggling, is surely a bad idea across the board, right? Obviously there are those that aren't struggling, but how do you create a tax policy that granular?
We sit here stranded, though we're all doing our best to deny it

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #6373 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 02:12:13 PM »
Just tax tech companies man.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #6374 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 02:12:54 PM »
Higher corporation tax at a time where so many businesses are struggling, is surely a bad idea across the board, right? Obviously there are those that aren't struggling, but how do you create a tax policy that granular?

Struggling is a relative term. If you've been able to operate at profit then I don't think you can say you've been struggling. Struggling to make the same profit yes, but not struggling to remain operational. I know in ordinary times it would be wholly unfair, but these are far from ordinary times.