Author Topic: UK Politics - Generation Tory  (Read 64184 times)

Interpolic, TBG, Robster, samptime29, wormy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
Re: UK Politics - Generation Tory
« Reply #550 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 04:01:33 PM »
Thornberry doing a great job of showing why Labour lost Scotland. Thankfully she's not a chance in winning.

Whilst Starmer gets better and better. Federalism, radical redistribution of wealth and power, McDonnell has clearly had an effect on him and will be great to see this agenda pushed in a more professional manner. :)

?s=20
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #551 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 04:09:27 PM »
it's 100% going to be long-bailey though aye?
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #552 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 04:16:14 PM »
Nah man, rumour is she doesn't even want it which is why she's apparently not giving it full throttle. Would need to be 2016 levels of purging to get her to win, and going in the opposite direction this time, from what I can see at least. Everyone coalesced around Corbyn because he was, really, the only remotely left wing voice involved. This time the majority of them are bordering left, with the exception of perhaps Thornberry and incoherent Jess.

She'll not win, but wouldn't be surprised if Nandy stole it as Starmer and RLB fans try and cancel each other out by not ranking either on the ballot.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #553 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 04:18:08 PM »
hope she doesn't win it like, seems like nandy wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to me but i'm intentionally not paying any attention anymore so maybe she's a tory or whatever

has to be starmer for me like

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #554 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 04:22:47 PM »
Won't win many friends having a pop at Branson. He's pretty popular as he absolutely f***ing despises Labour and hates paying tax as it might fall into the hands of a do-gooder.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #555 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 04:23:41 PM »
Nandy's no Tory, but she does have that 'heartlands syndrome' whereby we should basically be the party we were a 100 years ago because our older voters don't like the modern world. Which isn't really progressivism. We have to build for the future, it's going to continue to change and one day we'll be the old farts struggling to vote Labour, there's only so much of the past we can hold onto and even less if we're to remain a f***ing left-wing progressive party.

In saying that, by trying to play this card so much she does venture onto Tory land. I don't mind it in the party, broad church an all that, but not convinced they should lead it though.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #556 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
it's 100% going to be long-bailey though aye?

4/1 with the bookies.

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #557 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 04:35:00 PM »
yeah i get that vibe from nandy as well, we have to listen to all these people that are living in the past (suppose she was right wrt the GE mind :lol: )

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #558 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 05:42:27 PM »
Won't win many friends having a pop at Branson. He's pretty popular as he absolutely f***ing despises Labour and hates paying tax as it might fall into the hands of a do-gooder.

I like how I always know when it’s a disco post.

Offline 11Tino11

• General Member
« Reply #559 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 07:03:05 PM »

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #560 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 07:14:26 PM »
I wish people would realise the genuine skullduggery of the Labour right during that period. Mind after GE17, they'd locked them all out the HQ on the assumption of a loss? :lol: Seems there's a constant stream of "Corbynite aide did X', even now, whilst the hands are washed of the people that were basically in control of the party for the first 2 years (you know, those years that many of the 'unresolved' AS cases date from). Christ, I saw an article on Karie Murphy that was having a go because was she was on holiday before the GE or some s***, in Vienna too, the cheek. Nothing gets mentioned anywhere about the s*** that lot got up to, but we're at the point of pulling people for going on holiday and s***.

Also, I really like RLB, just not in favour of the faction and actually not really into this desperate attempt to be as common as f***. Despite the assumptions of much of the last 4 years, the majority of Labour members aren't actually Momentumers or die-hard Corbynites. As, hopefully (:lol:), the result of this contest will prove... :whistle:

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #561 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 08:53:03 PM »
John Harris making a similar point in the Guardian today - one of the few politics writers who seems to get it

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/27/labour-party-leadership-keir-starmer-rebecca-long-bailey

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #562 on: Monday 27 January 2020, 09:14:52 PM »
I can't disagree with much of that, other than the existential crisis assumption. Not saying Labour are in a good place after their largest defeat of the century, but these things always come in cycles. Not to dismiss the danger or anything, could easily make the mistakes that make it inevitable. He even mentions Orwell, we've been saying the exact same things after election losses for our whole existence, with knee-jerk reactions to right the ship in a complete different direction, instantly alienating many of the people we were meant to represent. That goes for the Corbyn project, we needed to go another way, but it didn't need to be so arrogant and delusional about the leader. Despite not believing it was a cult, there was a cult like presentation of Corbyn, although in fairness I'm not actually convinced followers of every other person in similar positions don't do the same. Boris fans are hardly any better, nor Trump, Sanders, even Macron.

It was only 15-20 years ago we were predicting the terminal end of the Tories after all. Their time will come again, you know, providing the world won't actually slide into worldwide authoritarianism...

The struggle nevers ends. :aww:

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #563 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 07:34:45 AM »
I can't disagree with much of that, other than the existential crisis assumption. Not saying Labour are in a good place after their largest defeat of the century, but these things always come in cycles. Not to dismiss the danger or anything, could easily make the mistakes that make it inevitable. He even mentions Orwell, we've been saying the exact same things after election losses for our whole existence, with knee-jerk reactions to right the ship in a complete different direction, instantly alienating many of the people we were meant to represent. That goes for the Corbyn project, we needed to go another way, but it didn't need to be so arrogant and delusional about the leader. Despite not believing it was a cult, there was a cult like presentation of Corbyn, although in fairness I'm not actually convinced followers of every other person in similar positions don't do the same. Boris fans are hardly any better, nor Trump, Sanders, even Macron.

It was only 15-20 years ago we were predicting the terminal end of the Tories after all. Their time will come again, you know, providing the world won't actually slide into worldwide authoritarianism...

The struggle nevers ends. :aww:

The far right in Italy - where it all started - have been beaten by a left-wing candidate in their recent election.
Maybe this is the start of the pushback?

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #564 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 09:24:15 AM »
tbf the pushback in Italy started a while ago - this time last year Salvini was still in power,  now he can't even win a regional election.

Turns out having to actually run a country is a bit trickier than just standing on the sidelines blaming immigrants for everything.

Offline Matt

• General Member
« Reply #565 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 12:00:46 PM »
?s=20

Politicians continue to be shocked that corporation tax is based on taxable profit and is barely fit for purpose. Maybe they could propose some alternative systems in an election manifesto or a put up a bill in a representative chamber in which they sit on a regular basis.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #566 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 03:20:40 PM »
?s=20

Politicians continue to be shocked that corporation tax is based on taxable profit and is barely fit for purpose. Maybe they could propose some alternative systems in an election manifesto or a put up a bill in a representative chamber in which they sit on a regular basis.
To be fair some have in as much as stopping profits going offshore before being taxed. Dont think many MPs dont understand that corporation tax is a tax on profits.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #567 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 09:21:34 PM »
Dont know if I'm surprised or not about the £1.5million for the Blyth and Tyne rail li k.

Surprised as they made so much out of getting Blyth it seemed a bit totemic and thought theyd go for it there.

Not surprised as it's just like the 40 new hospitals
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #569 on: Wednesday 29 January 2020, 10:36:30 AM »
I'm punching anyone I see wearing that badge.

Online loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #570 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 01:28:12 AM »
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Sajid Javid abandons pledge to end austerity with savage cuts plan

The Chancellor has ordered ministers to identify savage cuts to departmental budgets - despite promising before the election that "no department will be cut next year"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/sajid-javid-abandons-pledge-end-21389005

Early contender for 'Least surprising thing to happen this year'.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #571 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 09:26:30 AM »
So long as cuts are heavily focussed towards Labour council areas and cities it’ll be very well received.  Austerity was pretty popular as a whole anyway and most English voters will be keen to see a real government clamping down on wasteful and overpaid public services / workers as they’re pretty disliked in the main.

Online Rafalove

• General Member
  • Was summerof69
« Reply #572 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 12:05:14 PM »
Anyone else cringe extremely hard anytime the term “special relationship”, is used? Absolutely hate it

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #573 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 07:05:41 PM »
?s=20

North England.

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #574 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 09:09:43 PM »
North England, man.

f*** off.