Author Topic: UK Politics - Generation Tory  (Read 120904 times)

Super Duper Branko Strupar (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
Re: UK Politics - Generation Tory
« Reply #3925 on: Saturday 12 September 2020, 03:46:18 PM »
Putting a camera in the HoC increases the scrutiny by say 10%.

Removing any scrutiny form the traditional methods reduces it by at least 50%, I'd say.

therefore a simple maths calculation will tell you that they are under less scrutiny.

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
  • Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #3926 on: Saturday 12 September 2020, 03:50:31 PM »

Removing any scrutiny form the traditional methods reduces it by at least 50%, I'd say.

therefore a simple maths calculation will tell you that they are under less scrutiny.

Outstanding :lol:
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #3927 on: Saturday 12 September 2020, 03:57:05 PM »

I'll qualify that by stating, the average aptitude for scrutiny is low, outside of those traditionally considered qualified to do so. You might increase the exposure by 1000% but the level of scrutiny will still be poor.

Add to this the fact that those traditionally considered qualified to scrutinise, are dedicating their efforts to scrutinising the scrutiny, you have a perfect narrative manufacturing factory.

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
  • Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #3928 on: Saturday 12 September 2020, 04:09:51 PM »

I'll qualify that by stating, the average aptitude for scrutiny is low, outside of those traditionally considered qualified to do so. You might increase the exposure by 1000% but the level of scrutiny will still be poor.

Add to this the fact that those traditionally considered qualified to scrutinise, are dedicating their efforts to scrutinising the scrutiny, you have a perfect narrative manufacturing factory.

:lol:
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #3929 on: Monday 14 September 2020, 12:12:26 PM »
Jaron Lanier, in 'The Social Dilemma'

"We've created a world in which online connection has become primary, Especially for younger generations. And yet, in that world, any time two people connect, the only way it's financed is through a sneaky third person who's paying to manipulate those two people.

So, we've created an entire global generation of people who are raised within a context where the very meaning of communication, the very meaning of culture, is manipulation.

We've put deceit and sneakiness at the absolute centre of everything we do"

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #3930 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 08:40:53 AM »
Angela Rayner on PMQs today - hope she gives the buffoon another kicking.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #3931 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 08:44:10 AM »
Esther Rantzen saying no BBC presenter deserves to be paid more than the Prime Minister. On current showing, Hacker T Dog deserves paying more than the Prime Minister.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #3932 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 12:09:42 PM »
What a random comparison :lol:

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #3933 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 12:16:44 PM »
The BBC should give the £400,000 saving to homeless veterans.

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #3934 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 04:26:43 PM »
BBC are overpaying their “stars”. Absolutely no need. Main thing is to pay and hire the people who make the programs a good standard. Those who watch MOTD would still watch it regardless if they had a presenter or not. My mates sister went to school with Lauren Laverne. Penny for her thoughts that’s she on £390,000 a year :lol: Absolutely bonkers. You could’ve paid her £40-50k and I bet she’d of still taken it or found someone equally as talented who would.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #3935 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 04:30:56 PM »
I’m not a Gary Lineker hater but I never understood why MOTD needed a highly paid big name presenter.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #3936 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 04:51:48 PM »
Why would someone capable of hosting a national radio show that pulls in that many listeners do it for £40-50k when they could just go to a commercial station and get paid market rate (i.e. £390k)?
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Online Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Leeds Leeds Leeds
« Reply #3937 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 04:55:05 PM »
Why would someone capable of hosting a national radio show that pulls in that many listeners do it for £40-50k when they could just go to a commercial station and get paid market rate (i.e. £390k)?

:lol: I dont get people's outrage at people being paid the right amount of money for their roles because it's the BBC.

Is it because we're happy to shaft nurses and teachers etc that we should shaft others too? f*** em all, eh? We have s*** schools and hospitals, why dont we have s*** radio and tv.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #3938 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 04:57:51 PM »

:lol: I dont get people's outrage at people being paid the right amount of money for their roles because it's the BBC.

Is it because we're happy to shaft nurses and teachers etc that we should shaft others too? f*** em all, eh? We have s*** schools and hospitals, why dont we have s*** radio and tv.

40K a year to play records isn't shafting people, like.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #3939 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 04:59:59 PM »
I too was shocked to discover that showbusiness pays well. Who knew? Be telling me that Leo Messi gets more than minimum wage next.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #3940 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 05:03:43 PM »
I too was shocked to discover that showbusiness pays well. Who knew? Be telling me that Leo Messi gets more than minimum wage next.

:lol:

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #3941 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 05:04:04 PM »

The people that pay the people that pay Messi, do so out of choice, not threat of imprisonment.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #3942 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 05:18:11 PM »

Why would we want to 'do down' The BBC?
Why aren't these same people complaining about Sir Philip Green or some other 'businessmen' who treats their own employees worse than a Victorian mill owner...cough...Mike Ashley.
It's all a bit Daily Mail. I bet Geordie Greig gets more than Lauren Laverne, yet not a peep from the 'readers'.
Anyway, I'd rather have more working-class voices like Lineker's and Laverne's on our national stations, seeing as the vast majority of us are working-class.

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #3943 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 05:20:16 PM »

Let them I say. Plenty of young and old talent would love the opportunity of playing records for £40k. I certainly do it no problem :lol:

BBC’s role isn’t to compete with commercial stations.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #3944 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 05:28:43 PM »
So what is its role? To be filled with hospital DJs and people who are objectively so s*** at the job that nobody will pay them more than a middle manager to do a job worth 10 times that?

What becomes of BBC drama if they'll only pay for amateur dramatics and members of the public like LFEE who fancy getting on the telly? :lol:

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #3945 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 05:32:50 PM »
To provide a broad range of musical tastes for the listener when it comes to musical stations. It’s not rocket science :lol: Absolutely no need for Zoe Ball to be get paid £1.3m a year whatever it is :lol:

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #3946 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 05:38:14 PM »
Some of the public only complain about Linekers wage, because he has left leaning political views and the Brexit army see it as a victory that he is getting a pay cut.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #3947 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 06:16:57 PM »
Interesting snippet  on radio 4s pm prog about 10 past 5. After PMQs there was another cross party question session for Johnson. During which he was asked by Hilary Benn about why, given the Northern Ireland Secretary had to the Northern Ireland select Committee that he thought the EU was negotiating in good faith ,he didn't. He answered that he'd heard things, could be wrong but had suspicions and could be proved wrong. No evidence.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #3948 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 06:22:48 PM »
Some of the public only complain about Linekers wage, because he has left leaning political views and the Brexit army see it as a victory that he is getting a pay cut.

Now hang on. The BBC is a publicly funded institution which gives Lineker a platform that keeps profile high enough that he can command lucrative commercial deals. He should be paying them.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3949 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 10:01:31 PM »