Author Topic: UK Politics - Generation Tory  (Read 43403 times)

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
UK Politics - Generation Tory
« on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 12:06:26 AM »
« Last Edit: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 10:09:07 AM by BlufPurdi »
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
Re: UK Politics - The Johnson Years
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 12:09:11 AM »
“In 2010, we thought because they’d won the election, they’d won the argument about austerity – they hadn’t. We thought in 2015 because they’d won the election, they’d won the argument about welfare – they hadn’t. We mustn’t make that mistake again.”

Pretty much all I wanted to hear.

This is exactly what the likes of Kinnock are trying to do now with Brexit as well.

The same Kinnock’s who wanted a second referendum at every turn

Is that actually true, wasn't he one of the consistent soft Brexit people?
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 12:11:50 AM »
Let’s see if Scotland f***s off before the next thread

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 12:13:31 AM »
Nah.  Last thread covered two years, and there's no way they're getting another referendum under Boris.  Bet he's desperate for them to copy Catalonia so he can throw Sturgeon in jail.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 12:13:58 AM »
Truth. :lol:

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 12:28:40 AM »
Can we remove Johnson from the title?

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 12:32:25 AM »
How about "40 New Hospitals watch "
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 01:19:13 AM »
Aka the the latest edition of punishment toward Newcastle and the North East.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 01:30:27 AM »
Aka the the latest edition of punishment toward Newcastle and the North East.
Ooh I think it'll be more wide ranging than that.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Online Bizza

• General Member
  • Darlington FC, Newcastle United
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 01:37:16 AM »

Aye, just rename it The Tory Millennia and have done with it.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 07:05:40 AM »
No doubt some "Corbynistas" will burn down Westminster so they can do away with all that voting malarkey. Nice new brown shirts for the coolest, most hip Brexiteers will be next.
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler.

"I have heard lots of nonsense about tactics but the big thing is about showing pride and having a go." 29/09/19

Offline LiquidAK

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 07:13:15 AM »
Reading that Guardian article it has to be Starmer at the moment, early in the campaign though it is, I'm on board. Bit concerned about his charisma and being seen as too middle-class, despite what he says about his parents in the article, but in terms of bringing the party together he'd be great.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 07:30:02 AM »
Reading that Guardian article it has to be Starmer at the moment, early in the campaign though it is, I'm on board. Bit concerned about his charisma and being seen as too middle-class, despite what he says about his parents in the article, but in terms of bringing the party together he'd be great.

i'm checking out so not that bothered but if they appoint someone who can't appeal to the centrists they might as well turn the lights off tbh
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 07:31:17 AM »

what's the longest anyone has been in power?  tories looking good for 24 years minimum atm :lol:
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • Camden Town, London, UK
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 07:38:05 AM »

Trumpson went to Eton, so if the 'working-class' can elect him, Starmer will be fine.

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 09:30:43 AM »

I nominate sliiiide to the right.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 10:05:41 AM »

Could just subtitle it with the truth.

"Corbyn is a Loser"
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

• General Member
Re: UK Politics - Generation Tory
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 10:18:16 AM »
Of the likely runners and riders I think Starmer has a chance of winning an election. I don't think anyone else gains more than about 20-30 seats.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 10:20:06 AM »
Very surprised to see this:

?s=20

Thought they'd have his back at least. :lol:

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 10:20:25 AM »
Of the likely runners and riders I think Starmer has a chance of winning an election. I don't think anyone else gains more than about 20-30 seats.

But sadly, because he's not a one-armed black lesbian wheelchair user single parent, he's not what the Momentum/Corbynite faction want to see at the helm, so his path will be blocked.

I mean, he's a Knight of the Realm, Queen's Counsel and incredibly intelligent and he still manages to empathise enough with the arse end of society to have altruistic tendencies, but it won't be good enough for the home-knitted jumper rebellion.
It's just the same

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 10:21:18 AM »
Very surprised to see this:

?s=20

Thought they'd have his back at least. :lol:

He's actually not universally liked in the profession. Politics and principle often don't tend to go seamlessly together.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 10:25:05 AM »
Interesting. That tweet will be used a million times against him. :lol:

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 10:37:06 AM »

But sadly, because he's not a one-armed black lesbian wheelchair user single parent, he's not what the Momentum/Corbynite faction want to see at the helm, so his path will be blocked.

I mean, he's a Knight of the Realm, Queen's Counsel and incredibly intelligent and he still manages to empathise enough with the arse end of society to have altruistic tendencies, but it won't be good enough for the home-knitted jumper rebellion.

:lol: Fancying some attention today GM?
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 10:50:47 AM »

Hopefully that’s absolutely bollocks, which it sounds like it is.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 December 2019, 11:21:16 AM »

:lol: Fancying some attention today GM?

:lol: As if that's not the sole reason for the existence of this forum? Or are you here for altruistic purposes, Jimbo?

Many thanks for the lovely welcome back after all these months, though.
It's just the same