Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle United - 25/11/19 - post match from p18  (Read 4362 times)

Offline johnny36

Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle United - 25/11/19 - post match from p18
« Reply #525 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 12:25:10 AM »
Yedlin did something similar this time last year against Wolves. Getting sent off for and costing us.  Fouling at edge of box ..You th9nk he would learn his lesson

Offline Gallowgate End

• General Member
« Reply #526 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 02:02:11 AM »
Another away loss to a relegation rival. I miss Rafa.

We only lost to 1 side away of the teams outside the Big 6 last season.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #527 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 07:59:43 AM »
The lack of pressing as a team has been ridiculous this season.  Rafa had Diame/Longstaff/ Hayden all pressing together as a team. Joelinton tries to close down defenders looks around and there's no one else trying to press.

There was a 5 minute spell in the 2nd half where Shelvey started pressing higher and we forced mistakes but obviously Shelvey can only do that briefly before he's blowing out of his arse

Offline samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #528 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 08:00:12 AM »
Two mistakes, two goals. We actually got into some decent positions, but final ball was poor - no fluidity in our attack. Heaton made two class saves - but we deserved to lose. Bad result.

Offline St1pe

• General Member
« Reply #529 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 08:25:53 AM »
After watching the highlights those two set pieces from Hourihane were absolutely superb, particularly the delivery for the second.

Heaton should be ahead of Pickford in the England set-up too. Every time I see him he seems to be making game changing saves.

Offline Stottie

• General Member
  • Aal these sheep and you've got nae bacon!
« Reply #530 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 11:20:55 AM »
s*** game we lost because our defenders couldn't score two goals this week. To their credit, they came closer to getting one than our strikers.

If Lascelles plays, I don't think they get the second quite as easily. We'll just have to deal with it, but him getting injured off that sly push does leave a bad taste.

Given how bad our attacking play is, I think we are lucky to be where we are in the league.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #531 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 12:13:17 PM »
The lack of pressing as a team has been ridiculous this season.  Rafa had Diame/Longstaff/ Hayden all pressing together as a team. Joelinton tries to close down defenders looks around and there's no one else trying to press.

There was a 5 minute spell in the 2nd half where Shelvey started pressing higher and we forced mistakes but obviously Shelvey can only do that briefly before he's blowing out of his arse

Perez and Rondon were massive defensively as well. Perez in particular is like losing a striker and a midfielder.

Offline Disco

« Reply #532 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 12:31:31 PM »
Pressing well requires good coaching...

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #533 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 02:12:23 PM »
After watching the highlights those two set pieces from Hourihane were absolutely superb, particularly the delivery for the second.

Heaton should be ahead of Pickford in the England set-up too. Every time I see him he seems to be making game changing saves.

As s*** as we were, Heaton made 2 incredible saves that won the match for Villa - first half on Fede's header and the diving save in the 2nd on that strike from ASM
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Mr Logic

• Lord of the pikeys
  • General Member
« Reply #534 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 02:15:22 PM »
Pressing well requires good coaching...

You'd think they might remember how to do it from last season, but I don't recall Rafa had them pressing every opponent?
A life spent in fear is a life half lived.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #535 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 02:20:46 PM »
Heaton's save to Fernandez wasn't incredible but the one to ASM was a really excellent save

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #536 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 02:58:36 PM »
we have differing opinions on that save then. thought he did brilliant to get down on that quickly.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Offline samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #537 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 03:14:47 PM »
Both saves were excellent IMO.

Offline jackyboy

• General Member
« Reply #538 on: Tuesday 26 November 2019, 04:05:19 PM »
Dubs pulls off saves like that most games, it's what they are there for.  How many points has deGea been worth over the previous seasons
I went out with a girl once and she asked me to kiss her where it was wet and smelly...........So I took her to Middlesbrough

Offline huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #539 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 01:23:02 PM »

As s*** as we were, Heaton made 2 incredible saves that won the match for Villa - first half on Fede's header and the diving save in the 2nd on that strike from ASM

couple of great saves by Dubs cancels those out.
john gibson in the chronicle this afternoon;
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #540 on: Thursday 28 November 2019, 04:44:56 PM »
Watched the first half in a pub in Wolves, dreary me, they all look even worse than I imagined. Glad I’ve sacked them off and won’t be watching that s*** anytime soon. :lol:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had