Author Topic: NCJ/The Athletic/General Press Coverage  (Read 21688 times)

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
Re: NCJ/The Athletic/General Press Coverage
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday 15 January 2020, 12:04:52 PM »
A link to that post should be aimed at them all.
?s=21

Offline Disco

• Newcastle
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday 15 January 2020, 12:12:15 PM »
Wonder how much ad revenue the parent company gets from Mike Ashley affiliated companies.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #252 on: Wednesday 15 January 2020, 12:19:09 PM »
Chronicle readers -Marry, f***, kill.

Steve Bruce, Charlotte Crosby, The Sayers

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #253 on: Wednesday 15 January 2020, 10:30:28 PM »
Been on to this before here, but it's beyond me that there isn't even more criticism directed towards the local media coverage of NUFC. It's failing everyone and everything. Maybe it's an outside perspective as I'm familiar with other sorts of football journalism in Sweden, more critically orientated and performed in a more open, available media climate, but jesus f***ing christ.

They're not doing journalism. The Chronicle is a content bureau, masquerading as a newspaper. They haven't had one single news story of their own in years now, yet Lee Ryder's job description seems to be detailed towards hunting news. They're not capable of producing one percentage of anything resembling investigative journalism, yet they've had one of the most corrupt and shameful football clubs in Europe in front of their nose for more than twelve years now. Their opinion pieces are apologetic at best, there's no criticism of the actual problem at hand. This mentality serves one purpose, and that is to preserve access and keep good relationships with the people they're covering. But what are they getting back? Nothing. No exclusives, no stories, nothing. Nobody is saying anything interesting to them, nothing is worth reading. So why not switch to actual journalism? Go for them. Get banned, but be honest and do your job.

I mean, they all know what's going on. They know they're not reporting on a real football club, they know it's going nowhere, they know progressing into the 4th round of the FA cup by beating Rochdale isn't a sign of anything, they know all the season tickets were given away because people are walking away from the club, and that it's a sign of desperation. It should be portrayed as such, not as a "nice gesture". f***ing hell. They know Joelinton and most of our other senior players aren't performing because Bruce is grossly incompetent, yet they pretend it's about him and confidence, they pretend the "mood" has been lifted because we managed to overturn a League One club. They're just pretending, and that's not journalism.

I know you're a journalist yourself - and you've nailed it. Having worked in local newspapers myself, before a bit of a career change, I 100% agree with you. Given he's chief Newcastle United reporter, Lee Ryder is an embarrassment. He appears incapable of writing anything that isn't just a summary of a match he's watched or involves simply typing up quotes fed to him - without question.

I've worked at a paper, where the reporter covering the local club continually tried to press those at the top about dubious comments/promises they'd made to the fans. He knew he was pissing the club off, but it most definitely didn't stop him and they didn't ban him out of spite, like Ashley has done.

The issue is, they're a small part of a much wider media group. Reach PLC also own the MEN, Liverpool Echo, Birmingham Mail and many others. I'd be interested to see whether clubs in those cities are put under any level of scrutiny too.

It feels like the only scrutiny there'll ever really be - of any club - is from the national press. David Conn is one example.

Given clubs now operate their own media teams and are capable of producing their own written content, social media coverage and videos, they're not as reliant on local press. The local press need the club - to generate clicks and still shift a few hard copies - more than the clubs need them.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #254 on: Wednesday 15 January 2020, 10:34:43 PM »
Been on to this before here, but it's beyond me that there isn't even more criticism directed towards the local media coverage of NUFC. It's failing everyone and everything. Maybe it's an outside perspective as I'm familiar with other sorts of football journalism in Sweden, more critically orientated and performed in a more open, available media climate, but jesus f***ing christ.

They're not doing journalism. The Chronicle is a content bureau, masquerading as a newspaper. They haven't had one single news story of their own in years now, yet Lee Ryder's job description seems to be detailed towards hunting news. They're not capable of producing one percentage of anything resembling investigative journalism, yet they've had one of the most corrupt and shameful football clubs in Europe in front of their nose for more than twelve years now. Their opinion pieces are apologetic at best, there's no criticism of the actual problem at hand. This mentality serves one purpose, and that is to preserve access and keep good relationships with the people they're covering. But what are they getting back? Nothing. No exclusives, no stories, nothing. Nobody is saying anything interesting to them, nothing is worth reading. So why not switch to actual journalism? Go for them. Get banned, but be honest and do your job.

I mean, they all know what's going on. They know they're not reporting on a real football club, they know it's going nowhere, they know progressing into the 4th round of the FA cup by beating Rochdale isn't a sign of anything, they know all the season tickets were given away because people are walking away from the club, and that it's a sign of desperation. It should be portrayed as such, not as a "nice gesture". f***ing hell. They know Joelinton and most of our other senior players aren't performing because Bruce is grossly incompetent, yet they pretend it's about him and confidence, they pretend the "mood" has been lifted because we managed to overturn a League One club. They're just pretending, and that's not journalism.

I know you're a journalist yourself - and you've nailed it. Having worked in local newspapers myself, before a bit of a career change, I 100% agree with you. Given he's chief Newcastle United reporter, Lee Ryder is an embarrassment. He appears incapable of writing anything that isn't just a summary of a match he's watched or involves simply typing up quotes fed to him - without question.

I've worked at a paper, where the reporter covering the local club continually tried to press those at the top about dubious comments/promises they'd made to the fans. He knew he was pissing the club off, but it most definitely didn't stop him and they didn't ban him out of spite, like Ashley has done.

The issue is, they're a small part of a much wider media group. Reach PLC also own the MEN, Liverpool Echo, Birmingham Mail and many others. I'd be interested to see whether clubs in those cities are put under any level of scrutiny too.

It feels like the only scrutiny there'll ever really be - of any club - is from the national press. David Conn is one example.

Given clubs now operate their own media teams and are capable of producing their own written content, social media coverage and videos, they're not as reliant on local press. The local press need the club - to generate clicks and still shift a few hard copies - more than the clubs need them.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/voice-echo-liverpool-fc-owners-3423942
?s=21

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #255 on: Wednesday 15 January 2020, 10:40:09 PM »

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/voice-echo-liverpool-fc-owners-3423942

Published just under seven years ago. I'm not so sure you'd see something like that now.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #256 on: Sunday 19 January 2020, 07:54:27 PM »
?s=20

Hate Edwards
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline TheGuv

• General Member
« Reply #257 on: Sunday 19 January 2020, 07:59:50 PM »
?s=20

Hate Edwards

Does he do it on purpose?

I’m quite looking forward to Douglas, Edwards et al refusing to admit they ever liked Bruce when we go on a 10 match run without a win next season.

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #258 on: Sunday 19 January 2020, 08:00:14 PM »
People replying are happy to pin Murphy, Muto et al on Benitez, when it's since been suggested they were picked by Nickson and put to him.

On that basis, we can blame fathead for signing Joelinton and Krafth then. :thup:

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #259 on: Sunday 19 January 2020, 08:19:34 PM »
?s=20

They're determined to gloss over the fact the squad is weaker and the football is absolutely rotten.

Offline chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #260 on: Sunday 19 January 2020, 08:32:10 PM »
Bruce has had some major good luck as well this season
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Rafalove

• General Member
  • Was summerof69
« Reply #261 on: Sunday 19 January 2020, 08:43:04 PM »
don’t disagree too much with what has been said tbh. That’s not really the point though is it? Bruce is a yes man. He’ll be happy to not have any real say on anything at the club, not being able to take the club forward with his vision. He also probably doesn’t really have much of a vision.

We need a vision, more than anything else. We need long term planning, infrastructural changes. A complete review and change of the club is required. There is literally no one else in the world I would want more to do that job than Rafa Benitez.

Offline Mattoon

• General Member
« Reply #262 on: Sunday 19 January 2020, 08:46:37 PM »
I tried to play devils advocate with Douglas earlier and when I got a reply got straight to the point about Ashley, surprisingly he got quiet. Not an ounce of backbone between them. I had the Ashley conversation with Edwards also, who admitted he was the real issue but again wouldn't elaborate on the issue. Journalism is dead in this country.
[What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #263 on: Sunday 19 January 2020, 09:04:13 PM »
I tried to play devils advocate with Douglas earlier and when I got a reply got straight to the point about Ashley, surprisingly he got quiet. Not an ounce of backbone between them. I had the Ashley conversation with Edwards also, who admitted he was the real issue but again wouldn't elaborate on the issue. Journalism is dead in this country.

Yep. It really pisses me off. We're unlikely to go down so therefore there isn't an issue. None of them, maybe with the exception of Craig Hope and possibly Caulkin, are prepared to continue sticking the boot in where the hierarchy is concerned.

They also fail to see that we're continuing to bounce along from game to game with no real plan in place.

I can't get over the narrative of yesterday's game. We scored a late winner and some of them are going on like it was a well-deserved three points and all is well. If that hadn't gone in, the story should very much have been that while we were happy to get a point, we were absolutely vile offensively.

Offline ScottishMagpie

• General Member
« Reply #264 on: Monday 20 January 2020, 11:12:02 AM »

Yep. It really pisses me off. We're unlikely to go down so therefore there isn't an issue. None of them, maybe with the exception of Craig Hope and possibly Caulkin, are prepared to continue sticking the boot in where the hierarchy is concerned.

They also fail to see that we're continuing to bounce along from game to game with no real plan in place.

I can't get over the narrative of yesterday's game. We scored a late winner and some of them are going on like it was a well-deserved three points and all is well. If that hadn't gone in, the story should very much have been that while we were happy to get a point, we were absolutely vile offensively.

Spot on!!  Just finished listening to the TF podcast.  f*** me!   :huff:

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #265 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 02:17:35 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: This Q&A with Ryder, man.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-news-transfers-live-17609247

Absolute drivel. No insight whatsoever.

Q: What has happened to Sean Longstaff this season? His form has gone backwards.

LR: Sean sets high standards and will be striving to improve them. We should be patient with Sean though.

He’s a good player with lots of attributes.

Form is temporary, quality is permanent

Thanks Lee :thup:

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #266 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 02:18:19 PM »

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-news-transfers-live-17609247

Q: What has happened to Sean Longstaff this season? His form has gone backwards.

LR: Sean sets high standards and will be striving to improve them. We should be patient with Sean though.

:spit:

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
  • Orlando FL
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 03:12:27 PM »
what i love about the athletic (not on the content) is that you have a genuine dialogue with the writers. I have had a chance to interact with Waugh and Caulkin multiple times and do really enjoy that back & forth with them.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 03:14:54 PM »
I really enjoyed your messages to Caulkin the other day

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
  • Orlando FL
« Reply #269 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 03:25:32 PM »
I really enjoyed your messages to Caulkin the other day

Hahaha - i got misquoted for the girls aloud one. ffs, made me laugh my ass off. I commented on it, and Waugh apologized.

Offline Ketsbaia

• General Member
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 03:29:14 PM »

If anything, the quality was temporary. He's not played often enough for the 'class is permanent' spiel :lol:

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #271 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 03:45:37 PM »
what i love about the athletic (not on the content) is that you have a genuine dialogue with the writers. I have had a chance to interact with Waugh and Caulkin multiple times and do really enjoy that back & forth with them.

:thup:

I slagged Waugh off the other day and Caulkin out of nowhere leapt to his defence. Was like being told off by your favourite teacher.

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
  • Orlando FL
« Reply #272 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 06:24:46 PM »
I really respect Waugh's opinion and his commitment to interacting with the subscribers - we've genuinely had some really good dialogue and PMs on Twitter discussing all things Newcastle on and off the pitch (business side too) and he really tries to thoroughly answer everything. I'm hopeful he's enjoying this gig at Athletic because it's easily the best sports platform I've known in some time. Between the plethora of articles on different teams, tactics, historical events, etc. to the Q&A stuff.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #273 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 07:52:23 PM »
Meh. If you believe the only topic worth discussing is how to destroy Mike Ashley, you'd have less time for Waugh and Caulkin. Not talking about the day to day, praising Bruce and occasionally saying 'Ashley is s***.'

Sadly it's not realistic so you can't get angry at them for it. They're worlds away from the Chronicle obviously.

Offline Newintoon

• General Member