Author Topic: Matty Shortstaff  (Read 17046 times)

Offline TRon

• General Member
Re: Matty Shortstaff
« Reply #250 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 10:47:13 PM »
Looked like he was playing deep while Sean was pushed up, which seemed a bit odd.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #251 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 10:48:25 PM »
Bruce just rolling dice at this point.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Cronky

• General Member
« Reply #252 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 10:53:49 PM »
I thought the opposite with Matty. Second cup game I’ve seen him play where he completely goes missing in the second half and his closing down/tackles is nowhere near the player. He’s got a long way to go if he’s going to make it at a top level.

I disagree. I thought he had a great game. Every other player, apart from Bentaleb, looked liable to f*** up whenever they were in possession.

Matty isn't a great tackler for sure, but his work-rate makes up for that, to a great extent.
People generalise too much.

Offline St1pe

• General Member
« Reply #253 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 11:01:44 PM »
I thought the opposite with Matty. Second cup game I’ve seen him play where he completely goes missing in the second half and his closing down/tackles is nowhere near the player. He’s got a long way to go if he’s going to make it at a top level.

I disagree. I thought he had a great game. Every other player, apart from Bentaleb, looked liable to f*** up whenever they were in possession.

Matty isn't a great tackler for sure, but his work-rate makes up for that, to a great extent.

I hope I’m wrong. Just seems like he runs around a lot and is bypassed very easily.

Offline Cronky

• General Member
« Reply #254 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 11:25:30 PM »

I hope I’m wrong. Just seems like he runs around a lot and is bypassed very easily.

For sure, his defending is weak. But his touch on the ball, his vision, and his passing is top class. Can you imagine how well he'd do in a better team where he gets more time and space, and more options for his passing? I hope that'll be us, in time, but sadly I doubt it.
People generalise too much.

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #255 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 08:06:50 AM »
I thought he was the best player on the park in the first half but he faded badly towards the end. Really enjoy watching him knock it about the midfield with ease at times, it's a shame we won't see it too often in the PL.

Offline Newcastle Fan

• General Member
  • NUFC forever
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 08:32:11 AM »
Even during the last 10 minutes of extra time he was making full burst runs getting forward.

Offline Rebellious

• General Member
« Reply #257 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 08:34:50 AM »
Anyone notice when dickhead brought Hayden on he kept Matty as the deep midfielder and put Hayden out wide left ?  I would have had Matty there and Hayden in Matty`s place.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #258 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 10:49:20 AM »
Anyone notice when dickhead brought Hayden on he kept Matty as the deep midfielder and put Hayden out wide left ?  I would have had Matty there and Hayden in Matty`s place.

To me it just looked like they were all running about trying to close down in a haphazard way.

A couple of seconds after introducing our fourth CM, all of them were ahead of the ball when we gave it away.

Offline Paully

• General Member
« Reply #259 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 11:02:15 AM »
It's insane that we haven't sorted his contract out - Bruce said last summer that he was our best player in pre-season so it should have been done and dusted then!

Randomly, I've heard he's going to Watford which seems bizarre?!

Offline The Little Waster

• General Member
« Reply #260 on: Sunday 9 February 2020, 08:14:10 PM »
Surely him and his brother are more realistic in their long term view of Nufc than the fans ? If they have any brain cells they are gone if they stay they must be thick and would deserve the mediocre careers that would ensue
" We are on the brink of a new era , if only ... "

Offline Coffee_Johnny

« Reply #261 on: Tuesday 11 February 2020, 10:48:20 AM »
There’s nothing mediocre about a career in the premier league. I would imagine that clinging onto that for as long as is possible is the (realistic) main goal of most young professionals.
🎵 He’s not from Argentina... 🎵

Offline TRon

• General Member
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday 11 February 2020, 11:01:09 AM »

I think his lack of ability to cover ground will end up preventing him making it to the top sadly. He's very good on the ball, but in the premier, ability to close down seems to be a premium attribute these days, and I'm not convinced his attacking qualities will be enough to make up for what he lacks defensively. Unless he plays as a withdrawn striker rather than a midfielder.

Offline St1pe

• General Member
« Reply #263 on: Tuesday 11 February 2020, 12:27:55 PM »

I think his lack of ability to cover ground will end up preventing him making it to the top sadly. He's very good on the ball, but in the premier, ability to close down seems to be a premium attribute these days, and I'm not convinced his attacking qualities will be enough to make up for what he lacks defensively. Unless he plays as a withdrawn striker rather than a midfielder.

It made it even more baffling to me that Bruce played Sean in the 10 role rather that him as he seems more natural in the holding type role whereas as Matty is more of a goal threat. I guess it paid off for him in the short term.

Offline Strawberry

• General Member
« Reply #264 on: Tuesday 11 February 2020, 01:42:30 PM »
Shame they dont agree a deal with Matty. Any club in the land will tie him up for long term.

Offline toontownman

• General Member
« Reply #265 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 02:12:43 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it wasn't a big PR play.

Give it a month and in comes hero Bruce and ties them both down to long term contracts. Lots of quotes about how great the gaffer is and how he played such a pivotal role in them signing. The importance of keeping local lads and Ashleys long term vision of the club etc..
Chris Hughton, simply the best manager we had from 2009-2010.

Offline John P

• General Member
« Reply #266 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 10:09:24 AM »
I know for a fact that some players at the club agree and sign new contracts months before they are actually announced. I'm guessing the club do this so they can announce them at an opportune time. However, I don't think that's the case with Longstaff, I reckon they're probably just offering him f*** all and he understandably doesn't want to sign a s*** contract.

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #267 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 05:08:41 PM »
I know for a fact that some players at the club agree and sign new contracts months before they are actually announced. I'm guessing the club do this so they can announce them at an opportune time. However, I don't think that's the case with Longstaff, I reckon they're probably just offering him f*** all and he understandably doesn't want to sign a s*** contract.

How do you know that for a fact?

I’m not having a go just curious
Follow me on twitter @tgarve

Offline John P

• General Member
« Reply #268 on: Friday 14 February 2020, 11:59:45 AM »

A very close friend of mine is friends with a first team player and told me about a new contract that was signed months before it was announced.

Online Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #269 on: Friday 14 February 2020, 03:30:50 PM »
i'm actually starting to think this deal won't get done and he'll go for free.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #270 on: Friday 14 February 2020, 03:40:02 PM »
Think it's already done and they'll announce it at the same time Bruce is given his 8 year contract.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #271 on: Friday 14 February 2020, 05:33:25 PM »

A very close friend of mine is friends with a first team player and told me about a new contract that was signed months before it was announced.

Very close friend? Not close enough to introduce you to his other mates though?

Offline John P

• General Member
« Reply #272 on: Saturday 15 February 2020, 12:02:30 AM »

Yes, a very good friend I used to work with who still lives in Newcastle. I don't live in Newcastle any more so only see my mate a few times a year at weekends when, funnily enough, the first team player is a bit busy.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #273 on: Saturday 15 February 2020, 12:14:12 AM »
A contract similar to Carroll’s would be reasonable surely? Probably not as high as £75k for every start but something like £15-20k basic and £40-50k when he’s picked is fair.
?s=21

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #274 on: Saturday 15 February 2020, 02:35:44 AM »

Yes, a very good friend I used to work with who still lives in Newcastle. I don't live in Newcastle any more so only see my mate a few times a year at weekends when, funnily enough, the first team player is a bit busy.

Hmmm. That's acceptable.