Author Topic: Jetro Willems out for the season  (Read 18044 times)

Offline STM

• General Member
Re: Jetro Willems out for the season
« Reply #325 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 08:10:45 AM »
Presumably we will wait until he is over his injury before deciding to sign him permanently. Obviously hes incapable of passing a medical for 6 months or whatever.

Everything else should be in place. They would be mad not to sign him. They wont get better value for a left back.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Offline Sho'Time

• General Member
« Reply #326 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 08:15:30 AM »
Don't sign him now, we'd have to pay him more money that could be better served gaining interest in Mike Ashley's back pocket.

Offline James

• Book Wanker Wannabe
  • General Member
« Reply #327 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 08:43:32 AM »
I’d extend his loan until the end of next season with his optional transfer clause being made compulsory after 20-30 more league games. That sounds win win win to me.
I looked into the eye of the Island and what I saw was beautiful.

Offline SteV

• General Member
« Reply #328 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 10:05:54 AM »
I’d extend his loan until the end of next season with his optional transfer clause being made compulsory after 20-30 more league games. That sounds win win win to me.

Not sure that's a win win for Frankfurt mind...

Offline St1pe

• General Member
« Reply #329 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 11:08:23 AM »
Despite everything going on with the owner and questions over the manger it’s really nice to see a player that actually visibly wants to play for us and thrive doing so. It’d be a real disappointment if we didn’t sign him permanently.

Offline Wilson

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • The Mike, The.
« Reply #330 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 11:37:28 AM »
The club don't deserve that much commitment from any players imo.  I like willems, the injuries a massive shame, but he's better off away from here, like every other player.  Hopefully he fully recovers and has a great career elsewhere.

Offline James

• Book Wanker Wannabe
  • General Member
« Reply #331 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 12:32:36 PM »

It guarantees them £7.5m if he returns at a similar level and stays fit. If he doesn’t we are paying his wage for a year.

The alternative is that he goes back to Frankfurt and his value will depreciate as it will be hard to take a risk on him with that injury.
I looked into the eye of the Island and what I saw was beautiful.

Offline SteV

• General Member
« Reply #332 on: Tuesday 21 January 2020, 01:24:17 PM »

It guarantees them £7.5m if he returns at a similar level and stays fit. If he doesn’t we are paying his wage for a year.

The alternative is that he goes back to Frankfurt and his value will depreciate as it will be hard to take a risk on him with that injury.

If he doesn't come back the same player (and fingers crossed he does) though, and he doesn't meet the required number of games, they are then left with a player who's value has dropped significantly.

If i'm Frankfurt, i'm pushing for the deal to carried through on the price agreed, now or in the summer. Try and get us to take the risk on his fitness.

Online KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
  • This is not a "dog chasing a balloon".
« Reply #333 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 01:12:49 PM »
Asked if the club would move for Willems in the summer, head coach Bruce said: “Jetro, we have to make sure he has had the op, and the rehabilitation is good. He impressed us all. He found it difficult to start with, but turned into a really good player for us. We’ll have a look at it.”

On 29-year-old Rose, Bruce said: “If he does well, we’ll have an opportunity to make it permanent.”
I'll be watching the games, and I'll be talking about the teams. If it's a disaster it will be quite humorous and exactly what Mike Ashley deserves and to be honest I'll quite enjoy it. I am totally indifferent to results and the team success going forward.

Now, in certain games should the team do well, I will be happy more for the players, because I feel bad for them mostly, and I still want to see some of them do well. I will still feel comfortable giving the team credit when they do well. I just don't care about any outcome at this point and none of my money goes into anything to do with Mike Ashley's operations.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #334 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 02:19:46 PM »
Did Willems struggle early on?

Other than Bruce not telling him what position he was playing in his first appearance

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
  • The Dirty Pitchers
« Reply #335 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 02:22:35 PM »
Did Willems struggle early on?

Other than Bruce not telling him what position he was playing in his first appearance

Yeah, struggled for the first 7 minutes. Then looked pretty decent.

Online Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #336 on: Friday 14 February 2020, 02:43:08 PM »
Jetro apparently back in Newcastle today...

?s=20
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Menace

• General Member
  • If only.
« Reply #337 on: Friday 14 February 2020, 03:44:39 PM »
Probably having a bin bath.
Quote from: Sunderland Fan
We are always second best to them, always.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #338 on: Friday 14 February 2020, 03:45:25 PM »
Told to man up and run his injury off.

Should last 80mins against Arsenal.

Offline toontownman

• General Member
« Reply #339 on: Friday 14 February 2020, 07:39:40 PM »
Medical ahead of proposed move?

"He failed, we tried."
Chris Hughton, simply the best manager we had from 2009-2010.

Offline danny

• General Member
« Reply #340 on: Friday 14 February 2020, 08:58:42 PM »
Oh come on guys, hes reaching out to us  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
It comming home.....

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #341 on: Monday 17 February 2020, 06:15:47 PM »
Jetro Willems has confirmed he wants to stay at Newcastle after his loan spell from Eintracht Frankfurt was cut short by injury.

In quotes carried by the Daily Star, the wing-back said: “Newcastle means a lot to me. I always had a feeling before I came that it was going to be a great year. Everything about Newcastle felt right – the club, the fans, the competition just suited me. I liked playing for Steve Bruce. I like him.

“He's more of a coach who speaks a lot with the players. He gives them a role in team and everyone knows what they need to be doing. He gave me a lot of freedom so it suits me how Steve manages. He was great for me.”

Offline David Edgar

• General Member
  • But it is what it is.
« Reply #342 on: Monday 17 February 2020, 06:43:28 PM »
And there it is again.  "He gave me lots of freedom."

The man simply doesn't do modern tactical football.  Players love it, but ultimately the team suffers.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #343 on: Monday 17 February 2020, 07:20:28 PM »
He’s been a big loss to the team like. Ritchie doesn’t have his athleticism, need Rose to step up.
?s=21

Online xLiaaamx

• General Member
« Reply #344 on: Monday 17 February 2020, 07:21:41 PM »
And there it is again.  "He gave me lots of freedom."

The man simply doesn't do modern tactical football.  Players love it, but ultimately the team suffers.

Works for someone like Willems individually, because he's a clever player and knows how to play his role.

Doesn't for Yedlin on the other side for example, who is anything but.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #345 on: Wednesday 19 February 2020, 02:18:35 AM »
Jetro Willems has confirmed he wants to stay at Newcastle after his loan spell from Eintracht Frankfurt was cut short by injury.

In quotes carried by the Daily Star, the wing-back said: “Newcastle means a lot to me. I always had a feeling before I came that it was going to be a great year. Everything about Newcastle felt right – the club, the fans, the competition just suited me. I liked playing for Steve Bruce. I like him.

“He's more of a coach who speaks a lot with the players. He gives them a role in team and everyone knows what they need to be doing. He gave me a lot of freedom so it suits me how Steve manages. He was great for me.”

Aye he gave him plenty of freedom when he came on as a sub in his first game. Didn't even tell him what position to play.

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• General Member
  • Absolute C***
« Reply #346 on: Wednesday 19 February 2020, 10:14:41 AM »
Bruce is the exact opposite of Rafa, which is why as much I was against Mitro ever playing he would be ideal in this side under this c***.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #347 on: Wednesday 19 February 2020, 02:54:52 PM »
Bruce is the exact opposite of Rafa, which is why as much I was against Mitro ever playing he would be ideal in this side under this c***.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #348 on: Wednesday 19 February 2020, 03:20:28 PM »
I don’t think Mitro would look that good either TBH.

Offline aussiemag

• General Member
« Reply #349 on: Wednesday 19 February 2020, 03:29:06 PM »
For all his deficiencies, at least Mitro attacked the box.