Author Topic: The Apple Thread  (Read 98897 times)

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
Re: The Apple Thread
« Reply #6250 on: Monday 22 June 2020, 09:07:16 PM »
ARM chips to be used inside MACs from next year, this is going to cause some massive upheaval.
Well they have said they are keeping support for Intel Mac’s for years to come, and even have unreleased Mac’s.
The problem is software and games (I know Mac’s aren’t used by hardcore gamers, but some casual ones will be worried) display their requirements for chips, and Apple are usually secretive in how their CPU’s compare to others.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #6251 on: Monday 22 June 2020, 09:09:41 PM »
ARM chips to be used inside MACs from next year, this is going to cause some massive upheaval.
Well they have said they are keeping support for Intel Mac’s for years to come, and even have unreleased Mac’s.
The problem is software and games (I know Mac’s aren’t used by hardcore gamers, but some casual ones will be worried) display their requirements for chips, and Apple are usually secretive in how their CPU’s compare to others.

Yeah, but I know this by having 2 different sets of architecture for the CPU is going to make developers job a bit of a nightmare on larger apps.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #6252 on: Monday 22 June 2020, 09:53:36 PM »

Yeah, but I know this by having 2 different sets of architecture for the CPU is going to make developers job a bit of a nightmare on larger apps.
Yeah. However Apple do have a development kit for them, they even offer an Apple chip ran computer to run it on.
I don’t think I’d fancy getting the first wave ARM chipped Mac’s.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #6253 on: Monday 22 June 2020, 10:33:07 PM »
I’m guessing we’ll be getting a lot of ipad apps that become more fully featured. Going to be laughs with future Mac purchasers buying incompatible software, unless there’s some inbuilt backward compatibility virtualization jive for a few years.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #6254 on: Monday 22 June 2020, 11:51:52 PM »
I’m guessing we’ll be getting a lot of ipad apps that become more fully featured. Going to be laughs with future Mac purchasers buying incompatible software, unless there’s some inbuilt backward compatibility virtualization jive for a few years.
It’s promising that they have already partnered with big software developers. The big problem is going to niche software providers. Is the likes of Quickbooks etc going to make sure their software works for ARM ran Mac’s? Is FM going to make sure it runs on Mac’s?
The biggest problem is that with Apple’s A series chips, they don’t release exact spec’s where as Intel do, so it’s easier to cater towards them. Apple are going to have to be willing to release more detailed spec’s so developers know what they have to work with.
If Apple pull this off then it could work fantastically for them, however they have to get the process right, and they will have to be more upfront about spec’s and collaborative with developers.