Author Topic: C Drive Space  (Read 273 times)

Offline Joe Dynamite

• General Member
C Drive Space
« on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 09:03:08 AM »
Hello. Not sure if anybody will be able to help. I bought a new Laptop a few months ago running windows 10. It’s been running fine until last week. It started doing an automatic update and from what I’ve been reading online has updated to 1809 which I am led to believe is the October update. Anyway I only have a small capacity SSD installed and I started noticing the free space decreasing for no reason.

I have been online and people have suggested cleaning up space by removing previous versions of windows and temporary files etc. I’ve done that and the problem continues. Others suggested it could be windows update and system restore as they can reserve space. I’ve tried disabling both. 

Turned my laptop on this morning and apparently had 63.3 GB free space, watched a TV show stored on an external HD and then removed the HD and left laptop sitting. Checked later and the free space is now down to 59.9 GB. Nothing has been used, installed or updated in that time (that I’m aware of).

Anybody got any ideas? If I reset back to factory will it just install the new update again?

Thanks in advance.

Offline BleedsBlackAndWhite

• General Member
Re: C Drive Space
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 May 2019, 03:39:19 AM »
As you say, you deleted all previous versions of Windows but I thought I'd mention the Windows.old folder just incase.

When you do an Operating System update Windows creates a folder on the C drive called Windows.old incase you don't like the new 1 or it's riddled with bugs etc. This folder stores lots of files from the previous version you had so you can revert to the previous version if you want to.

The Windows.old folder is automatically deleted after 30 days.

If you're happy with the new Operating System and want to stay on the new version you can delete the Windows.old folder easily. It usually contains about 15-20 GB, maybe that's where a lot of your SSD storage has gone.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-delete-windowsold-folder-3490793/

For the other problem about watching the movie, and this is just a guess, maybe the movie was added to some sort of cache on your laptop seeing as you used an external drive. Clearing your laptops cache might regain the storage you lost.
Sign up to Initiative Q using my code - https://initiativeq.com/invite/HMs-CvyJV

Offline Joe Dynamite

• General Member
Re: C Drive Space
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 May 2019, 10:50:44 PM »
Cheers for the reply and advice but I had a bit of a meltdown and reset back to factory settings and it seems to have sorted itself.  :)