Author Topic: Living Anywhere in the World.......  (Read 1752 times)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
Re: Living Anywhere in the World.......
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:04:48 pm »
Good question. One I’ve often thought of. Do you live rambunctiously somewhere in the developing world blitzing your savings / trying to make it go further through investment or just live somewhere passable and pleasant getting by slightly better than you are already?

That's partly the reason for posting the question. You could barely last a year in the Cayman Islands living the dream but probably more than ten years in Thailand just plodding through 'normal' life.

Thought some of the responses would be interesting........

Aye you I’d almost need an answer for both alternatives. Push came to shove I think I’d probably move somewhere cheaper but still developed enough to not lose comfort and amenity.

Andalucia, Valencia or Portugal would be canny. Better weather, food, outdoor lifestyle with access to cities, countryside and beach. Still easy enough to get back to UK, if needed, but connected well to travel elsewhere as I enjoy doing already. Hefty deposit for a gaff with a pool would be the main use of cash. Chance to learn a foreign language would be a big pull too.

Couldn’t deal with the weather in Asia as much as it appeals on the cheap/picturesque/noncing scale. Saying all that I’d also be tempted to stay put and f*** the £100k straight up the wall until it ran out travelling the world. Probably die though.

Yeah, south spain is probably most ideal place.

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:05:46 pm »
Am I actually working for this median salary?  In my current profession?

You are working in similar field to that of your current country. So you can't go from being a binman in the Uk to a Surgeon in the US, for example.

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:06:42 pm »
Am I actually working for this median salary?  In my current profession?

You are working in similar field to that of your current country. So you can't go from being a binman in the Uk to a Surgeon in the US, for example.

If it's a median salary in my current field of work then LA every time :lol:
That's what I do, I drink and I know things.

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:07:06 pm »
If I’m working on the Thai median salary I’m not doing much.

No. But on the bright side, you'd be mortgage free, have cash in the bank still (probably) and only work as little as needed to pay for low living costs. That's kind of the purpose of the question really.

Do you push onwards/upwards or take the lifestyle choice?

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:07:12 pm »
Bali.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:08:25 pm »
Thought about this loads too. I'd either stay here & move to somewhere quieter out of town, or do the equivalent but on the outskirts of Saint Petersburg. My needs/interests can be met/afforded pretty simply. Coastal or country paths to walk, clean air to breathe, a city nearby to be inspired by (in both its light & dark sides), a sense of history and story in my surroundings (can't stand pristine plastic cities/parts of cities) a shelf full of great books & some software to design & create artwork. The reason it'd be Russia if not England is because for me, their history, literature & arts are superb; for me only England & France are comparable in the regard but fall short. The feeling of being there, looks for signs of the life of said history, looking for marks of what may have inspired said arts & literature would fill me with fascination and joy for as long as I could live.

That'd be me. What about you, Minhosa?

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:08:30 pm »
Yeah, right now I’d probably go for the slow pace by the beach.

I’d love New York or something as well, but the money would go on a deposit for a shoebox and the salary wouldn’t cover the mortgage.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:09:28 pm »
Thought about this loads too. I'd either stay here & move to somewhere quieter out of town, or do the equivalent but on the outskirts of Saint Petersburg. My needs/interests can be met/afforded pretty simply. Coastal or country paths to walk, clean air to breathe, a city nearby to be inspired by (in both is light & dark sides), a sense of history and story in my surroundings (can't stand pristine plastic cities/parts of cities) a shelf full of great books & some software to design & create artwork. The reason it'd be Russia if not England is because for me, their history, literature & arts are superb; for me only England & France are comparable in the regard but fall short. The feeling of being there, looks for signs of the life of said history, looking for marks of what may have inspired said arts & literature would fill me with fascination and joy for as long as I could live.

That'd be me.

Very interesting, sounds similar to Istanbul/Turkey.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:10:02 pm »
The following places in Europe so far - Portugal, Slovenia, Croatia (I think for kids it’s probably amazing living there. There’s so much outdoor life) parts of Spain too. Outside of Europe I’ve enjoyed Japan but probably couldn’t live there forever. I don’t have any experience of North America but Canada always sounds nice.

• General Member
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:17:12 pm »
Thought about this loads too. I'd either stay here & move to somewhere quieter out of town, or do the equivalent but on the outskirts of Saint Petersburg. My needs/interests can be met/afforded pretty simply. Coastal or country paths to walk, clean air to breathe, a city nearby to be inspired by (in both is light & dark sides), a sense of history and story in my surroundings (can't stand pristine plastic cities/parts of cities) a shelf full of great books & some software to design & create artwork. The reason it'd be Russia if not England is because for me, their history, literature & arts are superb; for me only England & France are comparable in the regard but fall short. The feeling of being there, looks for signs of the life of said history, looking for marks of what may have inspired said arts & literature would fill me with fascination and joy for as long as I could live.

That'd be me.

Very interesting, sounds similar to Istanbul/Turkey.

It does. I guess they're a few scenic/architectural similarities between Saint Petersburg and Istanbul. Certainly looks beautiful, does Istanbul, although for me Saint Petersburg has the edge due my love for related literature & arts.

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:28:04 pm »
Cape Town, even if the water is freezing cold.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:32:12 pm »
Fishing for nonces in this thread, well played Minhosa you narc

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:42:31 pm »
Places in central and South America probably a good option, affordable and good climate and coastline.

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:45:55 pm »
Places in central and South America probably a good option, affordable and good climate and coastline.

Been to most places in South/Central America and I absolutely loved most of them. Not sure I'd like to live there permanently though. Medellin on a Saturday night aint too shabby though  :naughty: (like many other places)

Online SEMTEX

• General Member
  • i am so great
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:46:28 pm »
This median salary thing needs fleshing out. Median US salary is 56k. Life would be s***.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:47:40 pm »
This median salary thing needs fleshing out. Median US salary is 56k. Life would be s***.

56k seems high, you sure that isn't household?

Online SEMTEX

• General Member
  • i am so great
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:48:30 pm »
Yes, sorry Neesy.

As I say, s***.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:49:40 pm »
Lived in Canada, would live there again. Newfoundland maybe. Or British Columbia.

Somewhere in Patagonia or southern Chile.

Never been to Scotland but think I’d probably like living in some small town in the Highlands. Or northern England.

I loathe humidity and enjoy rainy/cloudy/depressing weather.

But ultimately, America is my home and I imagine I’ll end up here long-term.

Online SEMTEX

• General Member
  • i am so great
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:50:11 pm »
"Living wage" in NYC is $78,903 :lol: You'd be homeless on 28k. Thanks a bunch Minhosa.

Actual numbers: The median individual income in New York City is $50,825. The median household income in New York City is $57,782.

jesus

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:55:54 pm »
Easy to discount loads of obvious places.

America - people would get on your tits, even moreso at work and your cash wouldn’t go that far anywhere too decent
Australia - as above plus isolated from proper countries
NZ - too far away from anywhere else even if it is a beaut
Japan - expensive and working would be a drag
Canada - I’m sure it’s nice but nah. Too outdoorsy and not enough edge
SE Asia - too hot and seasonal plus Thailand/Nam/Cambodia you’d catch the bad aids eventually somehow
Central / South America - a lot of places would be very decent for a bit but living/working full time would become tiresome I’d imagine as infrastructure ain’t reliable. Amazing culture though. Mexico would appeal.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 09:00:14 pm »

America - people would get on your tits, even moreso at work and your cash wouldn’t go that far anywhere too decent
SE Asia - too hot and seasonal plus Thailand/Nam/Cambodia you’d catch the bad aids eventually somehow
Central / South America - most places would be decent for a bit but living/working full time would become tiresome I’d imagine as infrastructure ain’t reliable.

Guessing it's europe or africa then.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 09:02:11 pm »

SE Asia - too hot and seasonal plus Thailand/Nam/Cambodia you’d catch the bad aids eventually somehow. Great bait though.
Central / South America - most places would be decent for a bit but living/working full time would become tiresome I’d imagine as infrastructure ain’t reliable.

Guessing it's europe or africa then.

Didn’t think Africa needed actively discounting but aye, discount that n all.

• General Member
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 09:02:25 pm »

America - people would get on your tits, even moreso at work and your cash wouldn’t go far anywhere decent
SE Asia - too hot and you’d catch the bad aids eventually

:lol:

I don't disagree with any of the above mind.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 09:04:12 pm »
Anywhere along the Adriatic sea would be my ideal place in europe.

Online SEMTEX

• General Member
  • i am so great
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 09:06:09 pm »
i f***ing dare you to move to albania mate