Author Topic: Living Anywhere in the World.......  (Read 2268 times)

Offline geordie john

• General Member
  • My Pops holding 'it' in 1955!
Re: Living Anywhere in the World.......
« Reply #125 on: Sunday 12 May 2019, 10:08:46 am »
Minhosa, The timing must be 100% right for anyone to do it without regrets. I do wish I / we could have done it earlier but family stopped us doing it. In reality, many Britts out here have come with young family and most, although not all, settle in really well and the kids are bilingual. I'm 66 now and in good health, but so wished I could have done it 10 years ago. Getting work is difficult but not impossible if you have good skills and learn the language. The B&B side tops up my pension, but we have to be careful about spending and saving. We do live a good, healthy clean life, eat good food and drink our own wine. My days of working in London seem a very long time ago!
Cut me and I bleed black and white

Offline henke

• General Member
« Reply #126 on: Monday 13 May 2019, 08:21:10 am »
I lived in Sydney, the wife loves the place too and not for the first we're weighing up going. With savings and plenty of equity in our house we thought we'd be able to live somewhere decent. Not like the one bed s*** hole I used to live in. But the exchange rate will probably kill it, we'd be living 30 miles from a beach and spending 2 hours a day in traffic.

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #127 on: Monday 13 May 2019, 08:30:59 am »
I lived in Sydney, the wife loves the place too and not for the first we're weighing up going. With savings and plenty of equity in our house we thought we'd be able to live somewhere decent. Not like the one bed s*** hole I used to live in. But the exchange rate will probably kill it, we'd be living 30 miles from a beach and spending 2 hours a day in traffic.

What do you do for work Henke? And would you stay in the same career over there?

Offline henke

• General Member
« Reply #128 on: Monday 13 May 2019, 09:08:45 am »
I'm a spark, well instruments by trade. There's plenty of project engineer type jobs in the city I'm qualified for but like I said I'd be two hours a day in traffic.
We've considered fifo jobs but it seems insane that to give my kids a better life I'd be away from home 50% of the time.
And yeah I love my job, couldn't imagine doing anything else.

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
« Reply #129 on: Monday 13 May 2019, 09:29:09 am »
I liked LA to visit but it looked a living nightmare to live in :lol: suppose it’s a similar attitude towards central London - where I live

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #130 on: Monday 13 May 2019, 09:43:24 am »
LA is f***ing trash.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 02:13:53 am »
LA is f***ing trash.

It's absolutely awful.  There are some cool places to visit there, but then you leave them and remember you're still in LA.

Is there a worse place on Earth than Venice Beach?

Offline geordie john

• General Member
  • My Pops holding 'it' in 1955!
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 02:45:33 pm »
LA is f***ing trash.

It's absolutely awful.  There are some cool places to visit there, but then you leave them and remember you're still in LA.

Is there a worse place on Earth than Venice Beach?

Surely Las Vagas tops any bill? Hell on Earth......
Cut me and I bleed black and white

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 03:04:29 pm »
I guess it depends if you prefer walking to dinner/drinks/a show or sitting in endless traffic.