Author Topic: Day in Newcastle  (Read 680 times)

Offline Aphrodite

• General Member
Day in Newcastle
« on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:00:37 PM »
Planning a day in Newcastle with someone who's never been before and want to give them a flavour of the city - do you think this would make for an achievable day? And is there anything that you think I might have missed? Some questions in brackets - thanks in advance!

Quayside/Millenium Bridge/Baltic modern art

Bridge tilt: 12 noon

Sage

Lunch: Grainger Market

Chinatown

Central Arcade/Grey’s Monument

Northumberland Street/Fenwick’s

The Biscuit Factory /Laing Art Gallery/Discovery Museum [which would you recommend here?]

Dinner: Blackfriars Restaurant

[Where's good to wander around after dark? Maybe not for clubbing but just to see atmopshere]
Interviewer: Which pantomine contains the character 'Widow Twanky'?
Sean Thornton: Romeo and Juliet

Offline TRC

• WASRKOOK
  • General Member
Re: Day in Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:05:38 PM »
Walk down Grey Street?

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:16:42 PM »
I've never been inside the Biscuit Factory but it sounds like you're staying quite centrally so Discovery Museum or Laing Art would be best as Biscuit Facotry is a bit of a walk away from the centre.  Not miles away but still

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:17:32 PM »
If the weather is nice have walk though the uni and into exhibition park via the end of Queen Victoria road. Stop for a pint in Wylam if it’s open and then back out the park under the bypass and into town via Brandling Park.

Discovery museum is about Newcastle and it’s history so if it’s about learning and seeing as much as possible I’d go for that. Side gallery is decent and worth a visit too, if you’re a bit arty, free n all. If you do the above the Hatton and the Hancock are both free also.

Also, a walk round the outside of the stadium?

Offline Aphrodite

• General Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:24:31 PM »
Getting train up so will be arriving into Central station - thanks for tip on Discovery Museum - would you rate it as a place to visit?
Interviewer: Which pantomine contains the character 'Widow Twanky'?
Sean Thornton: Romeo and Juliet

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:25:24 PM »
4:00pm: Photobomb OpenC's street photo on Pudding Chare.

4:30pm: Quick spice break round the back of Haymarket.

Quintessential Newcastle.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:25:54 PM »
Grey Street is a must but probably at it's best at Dawn. I'd drop  Chinatown if not eating and getting from Quayside to Grainger Market has to be via the Side/Keep/Black gate.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:27:09 PM »
Getting train up so will be arriving into Central station - thanks for tip on Discovery Museum - would you rate it as a place to visit?

I’ve not been for years but again I think it’s free so easily f***ed off if it’s not.

Open_C

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:28:32 PM »

One day I'll get that place with a silhouetted figure and no cars :sweetjesus:

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:32:33 PM »

I’ve not been for years but again I think it’s free so easily f***ed off if it’s not.

Yeah it's still free.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:34:15 PM »
Could go and see dippy the dinosaur at the hancock museum.

https://greatnorthmuseum.org.uk/whats-on/dippy-on-tour

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:42:24 PM »

[Where's good to wander around after dark? Maybe not for clubbing but just to see atmopshere]

Head down Grey Street, follow it down onto the Quayside and head over the Swing Bridge to By The River Brew Co. Good place to grab a drink and see the Tyne and Quayside lit up.

Oh and I wouldn't bother with Fenwicks. It's only special at Christmas because of the window display. It's just another department store the rest of the year.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:47:06 PM »
If the weather's nice, I'd 100% say try and grab a drink down at ByTheRiverBrewCo (under the Tyne Bridge on the Gateshead side). Shows the area around the river off absolutely beautifully.

EDIT: TBG's trumped me, and agree with him it's just as nice on a night. If you're coming on a weekend, I'd recommend it for lunch ahead of the Grainger Market tbh: https://www.bytheriverbrew.co/hawkers-market/

Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:48:11 PM »

One day I'll get that place with a silhouetted figure and no cars :sweetjesus:

:lol:

You will, and what a picture of patience & persistence it will be.

Open_C

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:55:50 PM »

I wish they would turn the sign back around, the one that says "supervised private car park".  Really added to it :lol:

Offline TRC

• WASRKOOK
  • General Member
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 09:29:18 PM »
If the weather's nice, I'd 100% say try and grab a drink down at ByTheRiverBrewCo (under the Tyne Bridge on the Gateshead side). Shows the area around the river off absolutely beautifully.

EDIT: TBG's trumped me, and agree with him it's just as nice on a night. If you're coming on a weekend, I'd recommend it for lunch ahead of the Grainger Market tbh: https://www.bytheriverbrew.co/hawkers-market/

Class, I'll be bringing the wife back to Newcastle this summer so I'll be taking her here.

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 09:37:26 PM »
Grey Street is a must but probably at it's best at Dawn. I'd drop  Chinatown if not eating and getting from Quayside to Grainger Market has to be via the Side/Keep/Black gate.
Found it mad that there was a Chinatown when I was over a few years ago :lol:
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 09:42:25 PM »
Found it mad that there was a Chinatown when I was over a few years ago [emoji38]

Well, it's only a street.  Why is it mad?  :lol:  Most cities have quarters related to a ethnicity.

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 09:46:36 PM »
Found it mad that there was a Chinatown when I was over a few years ago [emoji38]

Well, it's only a street.  Why is it mad?  :lol:  Most cities have quarters related to a ethnicity.
Well tbf I was mostly surprised by how central it was, also didn't think "Chinatown" was really a thing in the UK and Ireland
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 09:49:14 PM »

Well tbf I was mostly surprised by how central it was, also didn't think "Chinatown" was really a thing in the UK and Ireland

Birmingham, Liverpool, London and Manchester all have one.

Offline ponsaelius

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 11:48:58 PM »
Chinatown is quite surprisingly prominent and established considering the scale of the Chinese population in Newcastle to be fair. Like you say, only 5 cities have them in England, and they all have more significant Chinese populations especially historically due to migrational patterns. With the number of Chinese students present in the city these days it doesn't seem so weird and it adds a cosmopolitan feel to the city centre.
Before that why didn't the Wigan fans just walk the the Stewart's, the Stewart's only went up to the touchline, their was a big gap between the end of the Stewart's and the stand they could have walked through.
God man replacement's don't have to 100% of best to 100% of a replacement.
The are both white, both intellects, both middle class, both the typical 'people who would have thought could never do such a thing ', all traits of a Psychopath.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 May 2019, 12:26:46 AM »
Go down Shields Road too if you want to give them a real flavour of the city.

Offline Doctor Zaius

• General Member
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 May 2019, 02:25:39 PM »
If you have more than a day and its decent weather get out to the coast as well. Tynemouth way.

Online NEEJ

• General Member
  • Kent
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 May 2019, 02:30:10 PM »
Go down Shields Road too if you want to give them a real flavour of the city.
Although this is quite clearly said in jest, a wander up Shields Road takes to you Chucho's. There aren't too many better places to end up.