Worst ever Newcastle midfielder?

Rob McDonald - signed from PSV (I think) after a scouting mission led by then chariman, Gordon McKeag in 1988. He was a bag of shite.

Worst one by a mile was Rob McDonald. We have had as many s*** strikers as great ones, with Josely in the s*** category although there is some worse.

Rob by a mile since my days of watching us.

How about Billy Whitehurst, Billy Askew, Ray Clarke or Tony Cunningham.

Clarke was before my time (just!)

Askew was a midfielder?

Whitehurst was a mentalist

Cunningham - not gifted by any means, but he always put in 100%

OK accept Askew not a forward.........what about Paul Cannell. Went to school with him. And he was shite then. Best thing about him was the ditty ushered in the Leazes every time he missed a sitter “Paul Can hell”

I think I've posted this before, but for me - discounting those who barely played for us like Rush and Guivarc'h, and even Luuk de Jong who was only on loan for a handful of games, as well as youngsters like Robinson and Dalglish who for various reasons barely played and probably shouldn't have been given the opportunity - it comes down to Jon Dahl Tomasson, Andreas Andersson, Riviere, and Joselu.

Of those four, my memories are that Andersson and Riviere at least ran about a bit, they were just absurdly incompetent in front of goal. Tomasson was played out of position owing to Shearer's injury and our lack of cover, and obviously he went on to have a stellar career, but what he did offer as a striker for us at that time was very much in the De Jong/Joselu mould: ineffective hold up play, ambling about to no particular purpose, and a shot that seemed wafted by the air it was so weak. I suppose given his age and experience and the number of games he's played for us, it's tempting to give Joselu the nod.

Rob McDonald - signed from PSV (I think) after a scouting mission led by then chariman, Gordon McKeag in 1988. He was a bag of shite.

By far the worst I have ever seen. Just awful.

Always liked Cunningham tbh. Gave 100% and was a handful to play against (relatively speaking.)

'Modern' times I would say Riviere. Masquerading as footballer that lad.

Guest firetotheworks

Putting my disdain for Michael Owen aside, Riviere's probably the worst I've seen for us that played regularly.

They need to have played more than a few games. Therefore it's Alan Smith and Luuk de Jong for me. Riviere was obviously terrible but at least he had a bit of pace and actually found the net as many as three (!) times.

Joselu's crap but he's comfortably above those three useless fuckers. He's scored seven times for us. Even Rush got a couple.

No way is it Joselu. Every now and then, he has done okay.

My nominee is Frank Pingel. He just looked out of his depth, not only physically but mentally. He was a desperation buy from the Danish league when we were fighting relegation, and he didn't look like he could cope with the pressure. He used to wander around the pitch with a dazed expression, hoping the ball wouldn't go anywhere near him.

They need to have played more than a few games. Therefore it's Alan Smith and Luuk de Jong for me. Riviere was obviously terrible but at least he had a bit of pace and actually found the net as many as three (!) times.

Joselu's crap but he's comfortably above those three useless fuckers. He's scored seven times for us. Even Rush got a couple.

Because he played in two positions, Alan Smith was probably our worst striker and midfielder.  Rather have had Steve Harper up front.

No way is it Joselu. Every now and then, he has done okay.

My nominee is Frank Pingel. He just looked out of his depth, not only physically but mentally. He was a desperation buy from the Danish league when we were fighting relegation, and he didn't look like he could cope with the pressure. He used to wander around the pitch with a dazed expression, hoping the ball wouldn't go anywhere near him.

Concur 100%. Seen most of the strikers we've had since about 83 and Pingel is about the worst. Scored once off his lug against Liverpool, knew nowt about it. Utterly terrible, not a single worthwhile attribute, no pace, presence, goal instinct, nowt. Others already mentioned, like Rob Mcdonald, Mavis Reilly at least had some physical attributes and in the case of Mcdonald, single-handedly won us a game at Sheff Wed by scoring and setting up a scuffed winner for Michael O'Neill.

We've had some tripe on loan too, Dave Mitchell, Tommy Gaynor spring to mind. Actually just remembered one worse...Paul Moran! He was on loan around 91, apparently got utterly shit-faced on the Friday before his home "debut" against Wolves the next day. Came on second half as a sub and sort of wandered around in a daze contributing absolutely nothing to a dire 0-0 draw and was never seen again.

Did we sign Perez in the same window as Riviere? That little purple patch with Ayoze kept us in the league.

I think that was the worst team we put out that season . Absolute bargain basement shit.

Just flicking through some of the fixtures from the tail end of that season (Carver in charge, eight defeats in a row, partial boycotts), where the general attitude towards the club was somewhere between fury, misery and apathy. The absolute worst of the worst, depending on how you compared it to a season earlier, when cheering the opposition's goals under Pardew. No pride, no joy, just gut-wrenching hopelessness.

Could be right around the corner once again. :thup: