Poll

ManDoon transfer to the Pats?

Approved: Keep all the c***s in one place
Denied: f*** ManDoon.

Author Topic: NFL 2020/21 - THE PLAYOFFS  (Read 140705 times)

The Prophet and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Shak

• General Member
Re: NFL 2020/21 - THE PLAYOFFS
« Reply #9600 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:11:41 PM »
Go for someone to try and wring something out of Wentz and his massive contract?

Hopefully not Daboll.

NFL are quite punitive when it comes to trading big contracts - there'll be still be a massive cap hit of what's left of his guaranteed contract even though the Eagles won't be paying it.

Yeah apparently they’ll have the same cap number for Wentz ($33m) next season whether he’s on the roster or not. $33m would be easily the biggest dead cap a team has ever eaten so it seems unlikely.

That said, they’re so f***ed next season that they might be best served blowing it up next year and being rid of Wentz’s deal entirely in 2022. Assuming they don’t think he can be turned around, of course...

As it stands I believe they’re currently around 70m over the cap for next year and lots of dead cap attached to most of the big earners’ deals. I don’t really know much about how dead cap works tbh, I do know they made it easier a few years back to trade/release guys with lots of guaranteed money still left on their deal but it’s still tricky. There are ways to lower a cap number by pushing the guarantees into future years but that’s just pushing the problem down the road in many cases.

It’ll be interesting to see what they decide to do, they could be a prime candidate for a complete rebuild after the coaching change.

Wentz would be an interesting trade candidate for an acquiring team. He’d cost 25m next season which isn’t outrageous by QB standards if you think he can be salvaged. The good news is that the contract you’d be taking on has no guarantees, so it’s risk free in the long term.

Colts might make sense. Playoff roster, Rivers retiring it seems, Frank Reich has had success with Wentz before, Colts have loads of cap space. Could see that happening.

One thing I've found weird in terms of the cap drop next year is there has been no talk of the players taking an equivalent cut, or have I missed it?

Seems weird, cap being reduced 10% or something due to lost revenue from covid but they're gonna have to just bin players off and get under the new cap rather than adjust contracts or have I got that wrong.

Nah, contracts are contracts. The top earners taking pay cuts to help out those negatively impacted by the changing landscape? I can’t think of anything less American :lol:

I’m quite interested to see how it plays out. Logic would seem to suggest that there’ll be more good players getting cut due to their large contract numbers but ultimately the people running these things tend to be able to find a way to keep players that they really want to. There’ll probably be more cap casualties than most years, but nowt too mental.

Great year to have loads of cap space as I’d guess the FA market will be slightly less competitive with fewer teams flush with it.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #9601 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:15:41 PM »
Most stuff I've been listening to or watching tells me the Ravens are gonna waltz into Orchard and waltz back out again without breaking a sweat. Interesting, hopefully McDermott et al are paying attention to that.

Don’t think I’ve read anyone saying that :lol:

I do think it’s a game that could go either way and there’s a lot to be said for the experience of Harbaugh and his staff compared to this new ground the Bills are on. Ravens have generally peaked at the right time since he’s been there.

I’d bet on Buffalo if I had to but it’s a hard one to call.

Was coming on to post that :lol:. Not sure who you’ve been reading, Mojo, but the one guy I saw who was firmly in the Ravens camp was Stephen A Smith. Don’t know if you know him, but he’s paid to be spectacularly wrong and contrary.

Most coverage seems to think it’ll be close and a lot will depend upon whether it snows, because apparently Lamar hasn’t ever played a snow game.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #9602 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:25:48 PM »
Yeah, I think the Bills are slight betting favorites across the board.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #9603 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:30:54 PM »
Allen v. Jackson should make for an exciting matchup.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9604 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 01:47:10 PM »
Heaps of YT clips from US TV channels basically, all seem to think Lamar and the run unstoppable while barely mentioning what the Bills might do because their D is so good.

I might be overegging it slightly but definite heavy emphasis on how good the Ravens are atm imo, to the point I was surprised to see us slight favourites in the betting. Again on the stuff I've seen, which certainly can't be comprehensive.

So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9605 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 01:52:42 PM »
Allen v. Jackson should make for an exciting matchup.

Funny one, Bills will want to keep Jackson in the pocket and force him to throw while they'll want to force Allen out of the pocket to run or force a mistake throwing on the run.

For all the superlatives being thrown around about Jackson this week they only put up 20 on the Titans s**** defence so there's hope there imo. As stupid/obvious as it sounds guess a lot depends on how much they can disrupt Allen & Diggs because if we can't get the passing game going could be a hard game as we won't be running it well.

Sleep now in the fire

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #9606 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 01:53:19 PM »
:lol: yeah, it seemed weird when you said that because it wasn’t at all what the general feeling actually is. Most people I know think the Bills are second favorites for the whole thing.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9607 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 01:58:22 PM »
:lol: yeah, it seemed weird when you said that because it wasn’t at all what the general feeling actually is. Most people I know think the Bills are second favorites for the whole thing.

If you listen to people talking about the matchup the heavy focus is on the Ravens imo, possibly to do with how much we struggled against Colts and they beat a team that seemed to have their number with Jackson making that crazy run.

Maybe I'm listening to the wrong stuff :lol:

Sleep now in the fire

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9608 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:07:05 PM »
First 3 minutes of this for example, bit more balanced than some I've seen but basically similar to others in that Ravens run game too strong, their D too good. Only playing the 2nd best offensive team in the entire league iirc :lol:

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
« Reply #9609 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:11:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure Ameritoon is joking re: Bevell (ex-Seahawks OC), but from what little I've seen of what he's been able to do in Detroit when Stafford/Golladay have been healthy - he's doing better away from PC too! Haven't seen many of their games this year though tbh, just highlights of their defence being carved up. Seems a shame they're moving on from Stafford - always thought he was great and has good football left in him.

There was a point a few weeks in when it became pretty clear even to Patricia we needed to change things or else he was getting fired soon. The defensive scheme never changed but offense opened a lot more, still way too much run-run-pass but it was generally more imaginative besides that

Once Bevell took over at HC the offense immediately opened up and looked really good even without Golladay. Much more creative and really left Stafford sling it. So yeah I'd have him back if a new HC kept him on.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Year of the Sleestak
« Reply #9610 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:14:25 PM »
Holy wing nuts!

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9611 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:15:22 PM »
:lol: may God give me the confidence of that guy going into a career in TV

Sleep now in the fire

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9612 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:19:57 PM »
Anyone fancy a sneaky Browns win btw?

Sleep now in the fire

Offline KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
  • This is not a "dog chasing a balloon".
« Reply #9613 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:40:57 PM »
Heaps of YT clips from US TV channels basically, all seem to think Lamar and the run unstoppable while barely mentioning what the Bills might do because their D is so good.

I might be overegging it slightly but definite heavy emphasis on how good the Ravens are atm imo, to the point I was surprised to see us slight favourites in the betting. Again on the stuff I've seen, which certainly can't be comprehensive.

That's perfect for the Bills I think. Much rather go into that as the underdog and with a bit more of an edge to their game because of it. Let them put all the pressure on the Ravens.
I'll be watching the games, and I'll be talking about the teams. If it's a disaster it will be quite humorous and exactly what Mike Ashley deserves and to be honest I'll quite enjoy it. I am totally indifferent to results and the team success going forward.

Now, in certain games should the team do well, I will be happy more for the players, because I feel bad for them mostly, and I still want to see some of them do well. I will still feel comfortable giving the team credit when they do well. I just don't care about any outcome at this point and none of my money goes into anything to do with Mike Ashley's operations.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #9614 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:41:16 PM »

:lol: Mahomes against our secondary is terrifying.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #9615 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:42:15 PM »

They just need to give up on the idea of playing defense.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #9616 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:45:34 PM »

Our chances are:

(a) we score a TD on 75% of our possessions and/or
(b) Myles Garrett goes completely berserk and gets 10 sacks and/or
(c) Mahomes gets injured

Would be happy if Mojo can find me some YT videos that say we’re going to win though :lol:.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #9617 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:48:21 PM »
It’s one game. Anything can happen. Hopefully we catch them cold after their break.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9618 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 03:28:33 PM »

Our chances are:

(c) Mahomes gets injured

Would be happy if Mojo can find me some YT videos that say we’re going to win though :lol:.

:lol: beyond the scope of my abilities sadly.

Like TD just said, forget defence and try to run all over them surely.

Sleep now in the fire

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9619 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 03:29:10 PM »

That's perfect for the Bills I think. Much rather go into that as the underdog and with a bit more of an edge to their game because of it. Let them put all the pressure on the Ravens.

Agreed, was kind of the original point really. Hopefully carries on.

Sleep now in the fire

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #9620 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 04:09:27 PM »

Our chances are:

(c) Mahomes gets injured

:lol: beyond the scope of my abilities sadly.

Like TD just said, forget defence and try to run all over them surely.

I’m trying to not care already :lol:. Sounds like Ward and Kevin Johnson might be back from COVID which would be great as long as they’re not too debilitated.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #9621 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 04:10:23 PM »

Yeah we know, but they’re not actually underdogs, which was our point :lol:.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Year of the Sleestak
« Reply #9622 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 04:31:50 PM »
I mean, I'm pulling for the Ravens on this one, so that's already like a 56 point advantage for the Bills.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #9623 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 05:52:19 PM »
Broncos have hired George Paton as GM.

Assistant GM in Minnesota for a long time. Good to see we’ve found someone who’ll come from an organisation with the same philosophy on QBs.

Any thoughts on him, @Pata ?

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #9624 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 05:57:59 PM »
Was hoping for Champ but that'll do.