Poll

ManDoon transfer to the Pats?

Approved: Keep all the c***s in one place
Denied: f*** ManDoon.

Author Topic: NFL 2020/21 - THE PLAYOFFS  (Read 140201 times)

rgk_lfc, Tomato Deuce (+ 2 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
Re: NFL 2020/21 - THE PLAYOFFS
« Reply #9575 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 03:18:13 PM »
It really appears like the whole damn thing is KC's to lose. Odds on them winning the Superbowl are 2/1 right now. Full garbage. Browns are 24/1...

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #9576 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 03:40:07 PM »
I honestly think if both teams play at their best the game with Buffalo is a toss-up.

Think the Chiefs offense is just a little bit behind where they were last year, though obviously still more than good enough to annihilate most defenses if thing click for them. Will be interesting to see if they can take it up a gear in the playoffs.

In other news...

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #9577 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 03:41:02 PM »
Showing three hours of Trubisky to small children may not have been the best way to introduce kids to the game, mind :lol:

Offline KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
  • This is not a "dog chasing a balloon".
« Reply #9578 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 03:46:30 PM »
Showing three hours of Trubisky to small children may not have been the best way to introduce kids to the game, mind :lol:

;D
I'll be watching the games, and I'll be talking about the teams. If it's a disaster it will be quite humorous and exactly what Mike Ashley deserves and to be honest I'll quite enjoy it. I am totally indifferent to results and the team success going forward.

Now, in certain games should the team do well, I will be happy more for the players, because I feel bad for them mostly, and I still want to see some of them do well. I will still feel comfortable giving the team credit when they do well. I just don't care about any outcome at this point and none of my money goes into anything to do with Mike Ashley's operations.

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
« Reply #9579 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 04:03:12 PM »
Imagine going to bed while your team is mid playoff game.

Work is bad enough at the moment without trying to do it on barely any sleep :lol:. Our game next weekend doesn't even kick off until nearly midnight, so doubt I'll watch any of it live...

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #9580 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 07:10:56 PM »

wew..

probably shouldn't have played nate sudfeld

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #9581 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 07:47:28 PM »
74m over the cap, murky QB situation, ageing roster.

Gonna be a hard job, that.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9582 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 07:49:02 PM »
Go for someone to try and wring something out of Wentz and his massive contract?

Hopefully not Daboll.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
« Reply #9583 on: Tuesday 12 January 2021, 02:23:23 AM »
CFB teams really hate playing defense

Offline Pandamninator

• General Member
« Reply #9584 on: Tuesday 12 January 2021, 06:09:38 AM »
Go for someone to try and wring something out of Wentz and his massive contract?

Hopefully not Daboll.

NFL are quite punitive when it comes to trading big contracts - there'll be still be a massive cap hit of what's left of his guaranteed contract even though the Eagles won't be paying it.
"But Italian football can defy the laws of physics; only here does a small pull backwards on the shirt send a grown man tumbling forwards"

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #9585 on: Tuesday 12 January 2021, 08:53:30 AM »
Alabama :lol:

They’ve also just recruited the highest ranked freshman class in the history of college recruiting for 2021.

Two of their WRs were drafted in the top 12 picks last year (Jeudy and Ruggs) and it looks like they’ll match that again with DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle. Smith and the LSU receiver Jamar Chase is gonna be interesting in the draft lead up. People saying as prospects they would have easily been 1 and 2 in last year’s historically wanked over class.

DeVonta Smith had a decent year for a WR.

Regular Season - 10 games - 82 receptions - 1,327 yards - 15 TDs

Then in their three postseason games, the SEC championship game and two playoff games...

34 catches - 529 yards - 8 TDs

:lol:

Really, that was only two and a half games as he got injured last night so didn’t play the second half.

12 catches for 215 and 3 TDs in the first half last night.

Offline Lush Vlad

• General Member
  • Vlad The Impaler (Nath)
« Reply #9586 on: Tuesday 12 January 2021, 11:06:22 AM »
Keep seeing Devonta Smith all over social media.  That poor white linebacker matched up on him for one of the TD's last night :lol:  Great scheming.

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #9587 on: Tuesday 12 January 2021, 01:28:09 PM »
Their dominance will eventually come to an end, but it’s hard to envision.

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #9588 on: Tuesday 12 January 2021, 02:44:56 PM »
It’s a bit mad though, the endless cycle of winning-recruiting the best-winning-recruiting. Not dissimilar to City, PSG, et. al hoovering up players because they have the deepest pocketbooks.

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
« Reply #9589 on: Tuesday 12 January 2021, 03:05:18 PM »
Definitely feels different than it has in the past. Alabama's classes are just so much better than anyone else's bar OSU and maybe Clemson, and their's are so much better than the next team down. Not sure how it ends this time without some regulation or Saban retiring.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #9590 on: Tuesday 12 January 2021, 04:22:13 PM »

Hopefully not Daboll.

NFL are quite punitive when it comes to trading big contracts - there'll be still be a massive cap hit of what's left of his guaranteed contract even though the Eagles won't be paying it.

Yeah apparently they’ll have the same cap number for Wentz ($33m) next season whether he’s on the roster or not. $33m would be easily the biggest dead cap a team has ever eaten so it seems unlikely.

That said, they’re so f***ed next season that they might be best served blowing it up next year and being rid of Wentz’s deal entirely in 2022. Assuming they don’t think he can be turned around, of course...

As it stands I believe they’re currently around 70m over the cap for next year and lots of dead cap attached to most of the big earners’ deals. I don’t really know much about how dead cap works tbh, I do know they made it easier a few years back to trade/release guys with lots of guaranteed money still left on their deal but it’s still tricky. There are ways to lower a cap number by pushing the guarantees into future years but that’s just pushing the problem down the road in many cases.

It’ll be interesting to see what they decide to do, they could be a prime candidate for a complete rebuild after the coaching change.

Wentz would be an interesting trade candidate for an acquiring team. He’d cost 25m next season which isn’t outrageous by QB standards if you think he can be salvaged. The good news is that the contract you’d be taking on has no guarantees, so it’s risk free in the long term.

Colts might make sense. Playoff roster, Rivers retiring it seems, Frank Reich has had success with Wentz before, Colts have loads of cap space. Could see that happening.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #9591 on: Tuesday 12 January 2021, 04:47:47 PM »
It’s a bit mad though, the endless cycle of winning-recruiting the best-winning-recruiting. Not dissimilar to City, PSG, et. al hoovering up players because they have the deepest pocketbooks.

Was going to come on and post something like that. I think one of the key attractions of the NFL for a "soccer" fan from the UK is that it's a league with at least some parity thanks to salary caps etc. The college game is fun when teams are closely matched but overall can be a bit tiresome.

Also worth a quick reminder for the Brits about the sums college coaches earn, as when I first came over here I could not believe it. As most big colleges are state schools, their employees are public and so are their contract terms. Nick Saban was paid $11.1M in 2018, and many other coaches were paid several million dollars a year. You have to go all the way down to #37 to find a public employee who wasn't a football or basketball coach - the Chancellor of UMass Medical School. By way of comparison, Anthony Fauci was the third-highest paid federal employee in 2018, with a salary of $384,625.

And of course, there's this (bit dated now, the NCAA relaxed stuff a bit last yeah. Mint.):

https://www.buzzfeed.com/epix/11-things-that-college-athletes-arent-allowed-to-do
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #9592 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:22:46 AM »

Do you expect an old school, conservative OC Beren? In light of your post about Carroll wanting such.

Seems mad you wouldn’t want a wide open modern offense with Wilson at QB.

They extended their GM though, saw that earlier.

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
« Reply #9593 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:59:45 AM »
Darrell Bevell might be out of a job soon, could be a good option.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9594 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 08:58:44 AM »
Most stuff I've been listening to or watching tells me the Ravens are gonna waltz into Orchard and waltz back out again without breaking a sweat. Interesting, hopefully McDermott et al are paying attention to that.

Sleep now in the fire

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9595 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 09:01:42 AM »

Hopefully not Daboll.

Yeah apparently they’ll have the same cap number for Wentz ($33m) next season whether he’s on the roster or not. $33m would be easily the biggest dead cap a team has ever eaten so it seems unlikely.

That said, they’re so f***ed next season that they might be best served blowing it up next year and being rid of Wentz’s deal entirely in 2022. Assuming they don’t think he can be turned around, of course...

As it stands I believe they’re currently around 70m over the cap for next year and lots of dead cap attached to most of the big earners’ deals. I don’t really know much about how dead cap works tbh, I do know they made it easier a few years back to trade/release guys with lots of guaranteed money still left on their deal but it’s still tricky. There are ways to lower a cap number by pushing the guarantees into future years but that’s just pushing the problem down the road in many cases.

It’ll be interesting to see what they decide to do, they could be a prime candidate for a complete rebuild after the coaching change.

Wentz would be an interesting trade candidate for an acquiring team. He’d cost 25m next season which isn’t outrageous by QB standards if you think he can be salvaged. The good news is that the contract you’d be taking on has no guarantees, so it’s risk free in the long term.

Colts might make sense. Playoff roster, Rivers retiring it seems, Frank Reich has had success with Wentz before, Colts have loads of cap space. Could see that happening.

One thing I've found weird in terms of the cap drop next year is there has been no talk of the players taking an equivalent cut, or have I missed it?

Seems weird, cap being reduced 10% or something due to lost revenue from covid but they're gonna have to just bin players off and get under the new cap rather than adjust contracts or have I got that wrong.

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #9596 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 09:02:03 AM »

Do you expect an old school, conservative OC Beren? In light of your post about Carroll wanting such.

Seems mad you wouldn’t want a wide open modern offense with Wilson at QB.

They extended their GM though, saw that earlier.

It sort of doesn't matter. Whoever comes in will bend to Carroll's whim or leave. Schottenheimer actually came in with a terribly conservative reputation, but actually did pretty well in opening things up first half of the year I thought, adopting more modern offensive concepts.

The whole situation can be boiled down to how the first half ended. Trailing by four in a 2 minute drill at the Seattle 42. Schottenheimer calls his best 4th and 1 play. Carroll overrules him because he's (in his own words) "fighting the call", there's confusion and a false start and Seattle punt - and Carroll sighs a breath of relief. Wouldn't be surprised if the "philosophical differences" cited above are Schottenheimer being p*ssed off about it all.

After the game, PC is as entrenched as ever - even knowing how the game unravelled! Joe Fann, a local beat writer is impressively candid:

He's already come out and said he wants to run the ball more next season, and that's how to unlock the two high safety defensive packages we've been facing since the Giants game (lost 12-17). In principle, a complementary running game is fantastic - but history shows he's not serious about this as a means to an end. It is his end, and you need a really hyperefficient running game and a shutdown defence to play the football he wants, because your margin for error is so low.

He just doesn't change or adapt. There was half a season to recognise what was wrong:

I'm pretty sure Ameritoon is joking re: Bevell (ex-Seahawks OC), but from what little I've seen of what he's been able to do in Detroit when Stafford/Golladay have been healthy - he's doing better away from PC too! Haven't seen many of their games this year though tbh, just highlights of their defence being carved up. Seems a shame they're moving on from Stafford - always thought he was great and has good football left in him.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #9597 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 09:26:03 AM »
I mean, with the way that game was going I wouldn’t have wanted to go for it there either. But I appreciate that one instance doesn’t validate Carroll’s overall philosophy.

Have they invested in the offensive line much? My impression has always been that it’s a bad O-Line but I’m not sure how much of it is Wilson trying to extend plays and how much is truly inept line play that gives him no chance.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #9598 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 09:51:30 AM »
Competent O-Line evaluation feels particularly difficult but they were probably better as a unit at run blocking than pass protection. Feels like an easy trope to the Seahawks have a bad OL, when it isn't necessarily always true. I'd say it's pretty middle of the road. Definitely an area for investment in the offseason though.

Duane Brown at LT is still pretty great I think, but no spring chicken. The rookie RG, Damien Lewis, has been really good IMO - though has room for growth in pass protection.

There's been a fair bit of change everywhere else and I could see more change. Pocic at Centre was what we had left after we cut Britt. We brought in BJ Finney for $8m when we got rid of Britt, but he was so bad I don't think he ever played. Somehow managed to shift in the trade for Dunlap.

Shell at RT was a Jets reclamation project. Was actually decent when healthy tbf, and still quite young. Don't know his contract situation but I reckon he'll be brought back.

RW definitely ate a lot of sacks too. Difficult to attribute appropriate blame to him/offensive scheming though.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #9599 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:05:36 PM »
Most stuff I've been listening to or watching tells me the Ravens are gonna waltz into Orchard and waltz back out again without breaking a sweat. Interesting, hopefully McDermott et al are paying attention to that.

Don’t think I’ve read anyone saying that :lol:

I do think it’s a game that could go either way and there’s a lot to be said for the experience of Harbaugh and his staff compared to this new ground the Bills are on. Ravens have generally peaked at the right time since he’s been there.

I’d bet on Buffalo if I had to but it’s a hard one to call.