Author Topic: Network Adapter Issues  (Read 789 times)

Re: Network Adapter Issues
« Reply #25 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 11:21:59 AM »
Always barriers, Neesy. Give me a solution! Negative Neesy
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

« Reply #26 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 02:40:38 PM »
Got Windows 10 from work. Gonna backup then wipe everything, delete partitions, then do a fresh resinstall from scratch. Previously I've just done a reinstall from recovery centre and kept files.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #27 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 02:42:47 PM »
You've been reinstalling Windows 7?

« Reply #28 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 03:05:25 PM »
No. I reinstalled windows from the recovery centre so I'd assume 10.... Was originally a windows 8 machine but had been upgraded. I chose to reinstall windows but keep files - Apparently that's s***. Didn't know I could have put windows 10 on a stick from windows site and done it myself, mind. Anyway. Got Windows 10 now and can wipe it completely.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #29 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 03:10:03 PM »
Good plan. Other than the throw-it-in-the-bin plan.

« Reply #30 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 03:15:17 PM »
f*** that plan. Been far too much f***ing carry on. Getting hardware checked as well now. But canny certain there's been dns clashes and it's f***ed it up. Works absolutely fine wired.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #31 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 03:16:35 PM »
Well in that case, wire your whole house for Ethernet would be the preferred plan. Which everyone should do anyway, obviously.

« Reply #32 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 03:25:34 PM »
:lol: Yeah.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 8 January 2019, 03:20:06 PM »
Well in that case, wire your whole house for Ethernet would be the preferred plan. Which everyone should do anyway, obviously.

:clap:

« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 8 January 2019, 09:31:04 PM »
That's the dream, like. An ethernet port in every room next to the sockets with usb.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 8 January 2019, 09:37:13 PM »
Get it done then. Live the dream.

« Reply #36 on: Friday 11 January 2019, 06:26:21 PM »
Got it back today, plugged it in and it's working fine. Guy said he reckons it was just Windows updates and patches in last day or two, which I find extremely f***ing hard to believe. The only thing he said he's done otherwise is to move the ssd back in to the normal position. He had mounted it on the other side above the pci slots and said it was a new thing using some plastic mount that he'd never done before, so just moved it to the other side and attached it to the cage.

f*** knows. Anyway, can mark this as resolved now cheers lads. Neesy your feedback is 1 star.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 12 January 2019, 11:39:30 PM »
Got it back today, plugged it in and it's working fine. Guy said he reckons it was just Windows updates and patches in last day or two, which I find extremely f***ing hard to believe. The only thing he said he's done otherwise is to move the ssd back in to the normal position. He had mounted it on the other side above the pci slots and said it was a new thing using some plastic mount that he'd never done before, so just moved it to the other side and attached it to the cage.

f*** knows. Anyway, can mark this as resolved now cheers lads. Neesy your feedback is 1 star.

Glad it's fixed for your missus.

Next time you need help, go f*** yourself.

« Reply #38 on: Sunday 13 January 2019, 11:19:22 AM »
:lol: Got it back Friday, watched the Leeds match in it in the living room as missus was away. Mint.

She gets back the next day, I take it upstairs to the office to turn it on. No internet. Same f***ing thing. Back downstairs. Same f***ing thing. FFS.

Bought a 25m coax cable yesterday and have a 10m ethernet. I'm done. Gonna spend today tacking cables around my f***ing house.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 13 January 2019, 02:16:25 PM »
:lol: Got it back Friday, watched the Leeds match in it in the living room as missus was away. Mint.

She gets back the next day, I take it upstairs to the office to turn it on. No internet. Same f***ing thing. Back downstairs. Same f***ing thing. FFS.

Bought a 25m coax cable yesterday and have a 10m ethernet. I'm done. Gonna spend today tacking cables around my f***ing house.

Did you do a system restore?

« Reply #40 on: Sunday 13 January 2019, 07:13:46 PM »
Not since I got it home, no. Went over to pick it up on Friday and it was working fine on their wireless network when we were testing it before taking it home. Got it home Friday night, set it up on the tv and it was mint. Streamed the Leeds game wirelessly. No issues. Shut it down. Went to bed.
Saturday I start it up and same issues as before it was "fixed".
So I gave up on wireless entirely and went and bought a 25m coax cable. I connected the f connectors to both ends of the coax cable and unplugged the router from the coax cable coming IN to my house. I then connected my new coax cable to the existing one, and ran the new one round the living room, in to the hallway and up to a shelf in the hallway. This meant that the 10m ethernet cable could then be plugged in to the router and it would reach the PC. Plugged the ethernet cable in to the PC and everything was mint. Until my router kept cutting out and restarting. So every 5 minutes my router would just restart. So now every device was having internet issues. Mint.
Unplugged the router from my coax extension and back in to it's original wire installed by virgin, and now the router is fine. So there's obviously an issue with my extension cable.
So now the PC doesn't have a wired connection anymore. Try it wirelessly and it works mint. But, again, to a point. It's seemingly as soon as I put any load on it it decides to give up. I had several pages loading fine, load some youtube videos which were playing, and click around a few more. Internet dies. Speedtest.net always fails on the PC. Mostly cant even run a test. Doesn't even find a server. Speedtest works fine on my laptop.
I added the page load extension to Chrome on the PC and when I can get a page load result, its Response and DOM with long times. Searched what could cause a long response time and find a lot to do with latency. No idea what DOM is. Interesting point here is I've previously had Latency errors on the PC when I could run a speedtest (few days ago). When I've been able to run a speedtest on the PC before today, it would connect to a server, run through the download test, then fail and show me a Latency Error message. So there's some continuity there.
Now I'm well and truly f***ing lost. It seems the more I restart the wireless adapter and get the PC connected, the worse the problem gets and the shorter the amount of time before it reconnecting then failing again. Before having to restart.
It's probably to be an issue between that PC and my network. Because Ive seen it working fine when I was round picking it up from the guy's shop. Albeit for the relatively short amount of time I was there. And he'd taken it home, had for 2 days and was happy it had worked for 2 days whilst he had it. He's done Windows reinstalls, moved the position of the ssd, reinstalled drivers etc. I'm pretty confident its not the machine, but then I'm also not absolutely certain.
Options now are to somehow work out how I fix whatever the issue is with it connecting to my router and staying connected. Or get Virgin in to do a better job than I have of extending the coax cable in to the hallway so the router doesn't keep restarting. Or replace my router if it's actually the router that's the problem, but again, laptops and phones have absolutely no issues.
I'm really annoyed now.

« Reply #41 on: Sunday 13 January 2019, 07:55:38 PM »
dns not found and dns probe finished no internet are the 2 errors chrome returns.

I'll do a reisntall myself tomorrow. I will either download and create and iso disk on usb from the windows site or get one from work tomorrow and reinstall that way. Sys admin at work said to delete everything. All the partitions etc before reinstalling. No idea what that means or how to do it so will ask him tomorrow and try all that when I get home.

Ive tried using googles dns today and that didn't fix it. Previously done all the flush dns etc cmd prompts which didn't fix it either.

Also Im with Virgin and use their "Superhub" which means I don't get any option to change dns settings.

« Reply #42 on: Sunday 13 January 2019, 08:23:01 PM »
Looking at a list of connected devices on my router admin there are seemingly 2 entries for the PC in question. They have different MAC addresses and different IP addresses. Also one says 2.4 ghz and the other says 5ghz. Not sure why that could be, maybe the 5ghz was the original dongle I tried before installing the 2.4g card?
Could this cause conflict? Could try a factory reset of the router I suppose to see if it flushes this list or does anything else.
Was gonna post screenshot but not sure if sharing MAC and IP addresses publicly was a good idea or not.

« Reply #43 on: Sunday 13 January 2019, 09:18:31 PM »
Oh my....

Early days yet but it's f***ing working like a dream. This has happened before though, so... I don't dare try speedtest yet. There is now only one entry for that machine on the router though so its definitely refreshed that. I'm gonna let it run, try speedtest in a bit and see what happens.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #44 on: Monday 14 January 2019, 02:18:31 AM »
Rename your 5gz network to something else.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #45 on: Monday 14 January 2019, 02:19:05 AM »
Also why the heck did you go coax cable instead of Ethernet cable??

« Reply #46 on: Monday 14 January 2019, 01:43:25 PM »
Can't rename them. Very limited functionality in Virgin router settings. There is now only 1 entry when the PC is connected, though. I don't really know how what I saw prior to factory resetting the router caused an issue, but I'm canny certain it is the cause. Will see in the coming days, though.

Did coax cos I had a 1 m ethernet but would not reach from front room back left to office front right by any stretch. Thought instead of a colossal ethernet cable coming from router near tv all around living room, along hallway, up stairs, back on itself and in to office I could extend the router in to the hallway giving me better coverage and then the ethernet cable i had would reach PC. Anyway I f***ed it up, so...

Hopefully Ive fixed it. I'd love to know exactly why that was like it how it was, what issue it was causing and any future actions, but hey.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #47 on: Monday 14 January 2019, 02:14:23 PM »
Can't rename them. Very limited functionality in Virgin router settings.

Lame. Could still be anything. I've had issues with a few devices that can use 5ghz networks but only on certain channels. And it would see the existence of the 5ghz, thus wouldn't even connect to the 2.4 equivalent.

If the Virgin router is s**** you could always get a different router, run Ethernet cable from Virgin router to good router in a more advantageous place in house. Then either have the Virgin router do DHCP etc, or have it run in bridge mode, assuming that's possible. I'm also assuming this Virgin thing is a modem/router.

« Reply #48 on: Monday 14 January 2019, 04:07:32 PM »
Yeah the Virgin "Superhub" is garbage and reading around a lot of people buy a better router and place the Superhub in to Modem mode. Might give that a whirl but not any massive need right now. Unless I get home and find it's f***ed again.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #49 on: Monday 14 January 2019, 04:22:46 PM »
Yeah the Virgin "Superhub" is garbage and reading around a lot of people buy a better router and place the Superhub in to Modem mode. Might give that a whirl but not any massive need right now. Unless I get home and find it's f***ed again.

I did this for a few years was worth it.  Can do QoS, VPN stuff with a cheap 2nd hand draytek.