Author Topic: Network Adapter Issues  (Read 720 times)

Network Adapter Issues
« on: Friday 4 January 2019, 07:02:50 PM »
I got my gf a custom PC for Xnas which came without a wireless card for whatever reason...

Anyway, bought and installed a tp link usb wireless adapter today. Plugged it in, ran disk, sorted. Network shows so i click connect and enter p/w. Runs through authenticating and connecting then goes 'cannot connect to this network'. Every f***ing time.

Any ideas? Guessing its probably network adapter settings on windows 10 or something.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
Re: Network Adapter Issues
« Reply #1 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 07:05:59 PM »
nee point in a gaming pc if you're using wireless like

You tried connecting it to multiple different wireless networks? Hotspot on your phone or something? Might not like something about your network.

« Reply #2 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 07:28:25 PM »
Its not for gaming it for work. Design mainly.

Not connected to other networks yet, didnt think about hotspot. Will try.

After it doesnt connect now it removes my network from the list of availabke and i have to unplug then plug back in the usb

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #3 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 07:30:33 PM »
You see I read the word "custom" as "gaming", that's where you went wrong.

« Reply #4 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 08:15:55 PM »
:lol: pedantic f***er.

Tethers perfectly fine. Wont even see my home network now in available networks. Was there before i tethered.

Edit: oh, it reappeared. Still wont connect. Has to be an adapter or router setting.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #5 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 08:20:30 PM »
Try killing the security from your home network and see if it'll connect.

And then get annoyed when it connects fine cos you still have to put the security back on. You could change stuff like radio channels. Could also be some incompatibility if you've got a 2.4 and 5 wireless network using the same SSID.

Lots of fun things to troubleshoot.

« Reply #6 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 08:41:49 PM »
Doesnt tether from my lasses phone ffs. Same error. Im Galaxy she's Huawei.

Ffs this is going to be a nightmare

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #7 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 08:42:58 PM »
Correct.

Get a different adapter. Or a big cable.

« Reply #8 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 08:52:44 PM »
Was just about to say i bet the easiest thing to do is just a different adapter?

« Reply #9 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 09:08:33 PM »
f*** it I'll just buy a pci card. Looks p*ss to install.

« Reply #10 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 09:28:14 PM »
FFS. It'll tether via usb to my phone but not my gfs. This has to be some security thing

Though the hotspot connection on my phone gives up when I go downstairs. Works when I'm there. So not a glowing reference for the dongle.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #11 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 09:53:42 PM »
Do the PCI thing. Ideally with an external antenna that gans up on your desk.

« Reply #12 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 10:06:42 PM »
Ah really? Not just antenna on the card out the back of the machine? No bother with wifi in that area with phones or laptops so it's a right f***ing arse on.

« Reply #13 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 10:07:07 PM »
Cheers man.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #14 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 10:13:31 PM »
I mean, the antenna thing is me being ott, but an antenna on the back of a metal cube never seemed like a great thing to me. You can easily extend any antenna. Just get a PCI card and see how it does, if the coverage is s***, get an extension cord for the antenna.

« Reply #15 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 10:26:32 PM »
:lol: You've obviously never met my gf. I'll get the extension from the off.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 04:33:55 PM »
Buy homeplugs

« Reply #17 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 09:45:04 PM »
Bought and installed a pcie card. After installing it immediately looked better showing loads of networks, but still had connection problems. Reset the network adaptor and rebooted machine and router and it connected. After a bit more arse on it's connected with no issues now except for speed.
Why is it so slow compared to laptops and phones in the same area? Laptops have particularly good pcie cards generally? One I got is decent enough I think. It's only 2.4, but then so is my laptop I think which is rapid. Would buying a dual band card to connect to 5ghz perform better? Considering that, but not certain I'm correct.

Card doesn't have extension yet. Just aerials out back of the machine. But my laptop doesn't have f***ing aerials. Or is it "course it doesn't have aerials it's a f***ing laptop designed to move so it's got a really good card because it's a laptop, dumbfuck"?
« Last Edit: Saturday 5 January 2019, 10:05:09 PM by Super Duper Branko Strupar »

« Reply #18 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 09:57:05 PM »
Or could speed issues be because of lingering ip problems? Pretty sure that's what was causing it to fail to connect initially. When I first tired to connect it was having trouble authenitcating the ip. Was connected to router but also wouldnt load router admin via ip. Think the whole reset sorted that though.

« Reply #19 on: Sunday 6 January 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
Okay, managed to narrow this down quite a lot but still not got the solution.

When I was first having issues I went in to cmd prompt and did a socket reset. Restarted the machine and all seemed to be good.
I then reinstalled the driver and again everything fine.
Then I reinstalled Windows. Its been s*** ever since.
It connected wirelessly when I reset everything. But it would start okay, slow, then cut out.
I then ran the troubleshooter, it did its thing. Fixed the default gateway, and a few seconds later after initially looking like nothing had been fixed, it connected and would work. Then cut out in the same way after. Times for this varied.
I tried resets in cmd - sockets & int ip. release ipconfig. renew ip config. flushed dns. Not fixd it.
I then brought it downstairs and hardwired it. Worked perfectly and was getting 102mbps. For ref laptops get max 50, av. 40.
I then tried to connect wirelessly. About a metre away from router. Same issues. So doesn't seem like a distance/interference issue.
Ran troubleshooter, fixed, connected. Then ran a speedtest. It was getting 70+mbps (so the card must be better than my laptops) before speedtest stopped working - Socket Error.
Did the same troubleshooter fix, connected. Ran Speedtest again. 70+mbps. Fail. Socket error.
This socket error on speedtest occured all 3 times I tried and it seemed it was at the end of the download test/beginning of upload.
I've also recieved socket errors sometimes when Chrome fails to load.
However I've mainly get errors in chrome. Usual fix in troubleshooter is bad gateway.
Searched all this online and amongst a few suggestions of causes was corrupted registry entry.
Tried to fix this using startup fix in Windows but it said 'Windows couldn't fix the problem'. Now whether that's because it can't fix that unspecified registry error, or because there were no errors, I don't know. Strange message to get mind on a very general option.
Still having same connection issues.
Gave up.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 6 January 2019, 10:06:31 PM »
delete system 32 and reinstall windows.  Reckon Windows is the issue if your having issues with different wireless adapters.

« Reply #21 on: Sunday 6 January 2019, 10:12:49 PM »
Already reinstalled Windows.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 10:45:31 AM »
That will break the internet for your other devices if you forward any ports that are common.

« Reply #24 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
oh....