Author Topic: Wedding s****  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
Re: Wedding s****
« Reply #25 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 11:00:42 am »
We got married at the Baltic, and the vegan options they provided were decent. Amazing venue, and fantastic staff, too. :thup:

So you used Six for the catering then? We would do it right now but we want to have a vegetarian if not possibly vegan wedding. I know they're quite highly rated but I'm pretty uninspired by their vegan/vegetarian options on their regular menu. Food is very important to us in terms of a celebration so it would have to be really good, not just okay.

I think they'll tailor it depending on budget. Were you looking at hiring the floor inside the BALTIC? My lass' bro got married there and they just let them decorate as they wanted so if you're looking to save money on that side that could a goer. They had it really basic with just a few candles and other odds and ends.

You can get the whole shebang with decorations and food etc or you can decorate yourself, but you still have to get their food. You can have it on the river terrace or on the first floor, both look class. It's just the food really, maybe we should go and have some food at Six soon.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Online Greg

• General Member
« Reply #26 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 11:09:07 am »
Very few of the popular wedding venues will allow you to use your own caterers, make too much profit on the food.

Offline Dr Venkman

• General Member
  • Alreet pet?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 11:11:02 am »
Tynemouth
  • Grand Hotel
  • Crusoe's (on Longsands Beach)
  • Park Hotel (big, but a bit grim)
  • Sailing Club (on the haven beach, my mate got married at St Mary's Lighthouse and had his party there in a marquee on the roof)
  • Watch house (up from the haven)

I've been to wedding's at all of those venues, there's probably more but that's just off the top of my head.

Watch House looks interesting! Cheers. Can you stay late there?

As far as I recall it's a midnight curfew, but that may have changed. It's the RNLI that run it, I believe, so contact the Tynemouth branch and I'm sure they'll put you on to the right person.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #28 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 11:18:18 am »
Very few of the popular wedding venues will allow you to use your own caterers, make too much profit on the food.

Aye, I know! It seems that way, so I thought maybe alternative venues or places not traditionally used for weddings might be an easier shout. Places like Lighthouses, warehouses or events spaces, I suppose. Everyone has been a great help already though :)
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #29 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 11:49:40 am »
Got married up here in Scotland, and we hired a venue only and brought in caterers, and got our own booze (got a bar in for the evening session). I'd say the benefits of that is that you can really get what you want, and if the caterers are good they may offer to set up reception drinks as well as canapés. It also meant we could get in shitloads of booze for the tables, which would have been limited on a package. I think we ended up with something daft like a bottle of wine for every 2 people. We had people that worked at marks to help with wine deals, used majestic and lidl I think. It's cool to be able to do your own thing.

Trade-offs - you'll end up in discussion with you bride to be about things like table cloths, glassware etc. Since you have to get that hired in. Usually isn't a problem to get that hired in from a catering company, and if you have the venue for a while you can spend time setting up yourself the day before. Again, if your caterers are sound, they will help you make sure that glasses don't get mixed up with bar glasses, and also turnover the tables if you are using the same room for dinner and dancing. We had a venue where the two rooms were separate so we didn't have people hanging about waiting for the changeover. Straight from dinner to dancing do farting about!

Also - speeches-wise - PA system of some sort if the venue doesn't have one. We borrowed from a mate. Also highly recommend speeches after dinner - everyone was already nice and warmed up for the speeches and therefore on your side!

Offline Dr Venkman

• General Member
  • Alreet pet?
« Reply #30 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 12:10:05 pm »

Aye, I know! It seems that way, so I thought maybe alternative venues or places not traditionally used for weddings might be an easier shout. Places like Lighthouses, warehouses or events spaces, I suppose. Everyone has been a great help already though :)

When my mate had his party on the roof of the sailing club he got the Waterfront restaurant to deliver fish n chips for everyone, it was lush.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #31 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 12:29:38 pm »
Got married up here in Scotland, and we hired a venue only and brought in caterers, and got our own booze (got a bar in for the evening session). I'd say the benefits of that is that you can really get what you want, and if the caterers are good they may offer to set up reception drinks as well as canapés. It also meant we could get in shitloads of booze for the tables, which would have been limited on a package. I think we ended up with something daft like a bottle of wine for every 2 people. We had people that worked at marks to help with wine deals, used majestic and lidl I think. It's cool to be able to do your own thing.

Trade-offs - you'll end up in discussion with you bride to be about things like table cloths, glassware etc. Since you have to get that hired in. Usually isn't a problem to get that hired in from a catering company, and if you have the venue for a while you can spend time setting up yourself the day before. Again, if your caterers are sound, they will help you make sure that glasses don't get mixed up with bar glasses, and also turnover the tables if you are using the same room for dinner and dancing. We had a venue where the two rooms were separate so we didn't have people hanging about waiting for the changeover. Straight from dinner to dancing do farting about!

Also - speeches-wise - PA system of some sort if the venue doesn't have one. We borrowed from a mate. Also highly recommend speeches after dinner - everyone was already nice and warmed up for the speeches and therefore on your side!

:thup: Excellent tips man, thanks! I would like to do it in Glasgow or Edinburgh actually but my 90 year old Gran would likely not be able to come from Gateshead so I think we should do it in Newcastle or the surrounding areas.

f***ing speeches man :lol: I hadn't thought about that at all! That makes me bab already. It's my day, maybe I won't even do one.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #32 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 08:43:00 pm »
Congratulations Jim.

Do we have a wedding thread? I'm getting married in October. Starting to brick it with how quick it's going to come in. :lol: wouldn't mind reading other people's experiences.

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 09:00:54 pm »
Of the weddings I've been to over the last few years I think I liked The Parlour at Blagdon the most. Not too far away and probably the nicest venue with the best food as well. No idea on the cost though.
Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middle men who didn't do diddely.

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 01:09:50 am »
You don't pay for your guests drinks?

Not on the night time party which what I was referring too but didn’t make clear :lol:

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 08:27:27 am »

We did basically this. Had a live band in a marquee just outside of the barn conversion we’d hired. This was in August so we were outside a lot.

SS2 Paul Dummett - power level - over 9000

Offline Kevo

• General Member
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 08:34:36 am »
Went to a wedding at the George Washington golf club last year and the vegan food was fantastic.

I'll check it out :thup:
I got married there May 2017. Cost around £5,500 IIRC for the venue inc food and a welcome+toast drink for each guest. Drinks were a bottle of Sol or champagne or soft drinks on request.

I had 50 (ish) day time guests and was allowed up to 125 guests for the evening. Plenty space. Orangery room I had for the breakfast and reception.

Evening food was quality - BBQ pulled pork wraps with wedges and other picky bits. Exactly what people wanted after 7 hours of drinking. Last orders was around 1am.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 11:54:17 am »
Congratulations Jim.

Do we have a wedding thread? I'm getting married in October. Starting to brick it with how quick it's going to come in. :lol: wouldn't mind reading other people's experiences.

Thanks man! Congratulations yourself. Stick it in here, I didn't think we had one specifically so I made it. I need all kind of tips, not just ones for the venue.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 12:20:54 pm »
I always said I'd never want to spend a huge stack of money for one day, in the end we spent a bloody fortune that we're still paying off now but the only regrets we have are the things we scrimped a bit on. Best day of my life like, by an absolute mile.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 02:00:29 pm »
I always said I'd never want to spend a huge stack of money for one day, in the end we spent a bloody fortune that we're still paying off now but the only regrets we have are the things we scrimped a bit on. Best day of my life like, by an absolute mile.

Same here!

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 02:03:14 pm »

:thup: Excellent tips man, thanks! I would like to do it in Glasgow or Edinburgh actually but my 90 year old Gran would likely not be able to come from Gateshead so I think we should do it in Newcastle or the surrounding areas.

f***ing speeches man :lol: I hadn't thought about that at all! That makes me bab already. It's my day, maybe I won't even do one.

Yeah we had some grandparents that couldn't make it for location, was a bit s***, but in the end, they probably wouldn't have enjoyed it even with it being closer to Newcastle due to mobility issues and that. If you go Glasgow there are a few places I can suggest that we looked at. Not really sure about Edinburgh, but there are some excellent places across the water in Fife too - been to a bunch of weddings over there and all been fantastic.

Offline Dr Venkman

• General Member
  • Alreet pet?
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 07:27:10 pm »
Tynemouth
  • Grand Hotel
  • Crusoe's (on Longsands Beach)
  • Park Hotel (big, but a bit grim)
  • Sailing Club (on the haven beach, my mate got married at St Mary's Lighthouse and had his party there in a marquee on the roof)
  • Watch house (up from the haven)

I've been to wedding's at all of those venues, there's probably more but that's just off the top of my head.

Watch House looks interesting! Cheers. Can you stay late there?

I was wrong about this yesterday, it's the TVLB that run the watch house.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 07:39:00 pm »

By any chance are you comfortable sharing what you spent? :lol: We set a budget of £15k initially and it's rocketed up to around £23k. That's for a wedding of 100 guests. While we haven't held back on anything there's nothing extravagant. It's a killer.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 08:56:07 pm »
The Beamish area has some cracking wedding venues.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 09:05:06 pm »

By any chance are you comfortable sharing what you spent? :lol: We set a budget of £15k initially and it's rocketed up to around £23k. That's for a wedding of 100 guests. While we haven't held back on anything there's nothing extravagant. It's a killer.

Ah it was less than that like, think it cost us about £10k in the end, plus a few more for the honeymoon.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 09:06:55 pm »
I honestly don't know how we could have done it any cheaper without getting a package/hotel wedding. It's hiring the venue and separate catering that is the biggest cost in ours. Basically £8k for hire of the venue and food alone.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 6 January 2019, 04:52:24 pm »
:lol: f***ing hell. We're aiming for 6-8k, making it a BYOB type affair with no entertainment, just a big PA system, a load of self-curated playlists and relaxed food. It may well go over that but you can literally have the whole thing done for you at BALTIC including award winning food and 2 drinks for guests for about 8k...I've no idea how you are going to spend 23k :lol: is it in a palace?

Online NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 6 January 2019, 05:09:36 pm »
£23k? That's absolutely ludicrous. :lol:

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 6 January 2019, 05:11:06 pm »
:lol: f***ing hell. We're aiming for 6-8k, making it a BYOB type affair with no entertainment, just a big PA system, a load of self-curated playlists and relaxed food. It may well go over that but you can literally have the whole thing done for you at BALTIC including award winning food and 2 drinks for guests for about 8k...I've no idea how you are going to spend 23k :lol: is it in a palace?

:lol: A rough breakdown is as follows:

Venue hire: £4400 (this is for the hire, an extra charge for having the ceremony in the same place, and £3 per chair per guest)
Food: £4600 (3 course sit down meal, hog roast for the evening, little bit extra charge for vegetarian options)
Photographer: £1400 (Whole day photographer + album. Probably could have got this a little cheaper but she found someone she loved and that was that. She is pretty f***ing good to be fair.)
Videographer: £1200 (Personally wouldn't have cared a whole lot for a video but on advice from friends they said it's very important)
Wedding Dress: £2000 (I nearly dropped)
Hair and make up: £600
Groom/Groomsmen suits: £770 (This is for me, four groomsmen, my dad and her dad)
Bridesmaid dresses: £780 (This is the budget for four bridesmaids, two flower girl dresses and accessories)
Interfaith celebrant: £400
Wedding cars: £600
Entertainment: £2000 (Ceremony music, drinks reception music, evening music, caricature artist and a magician for me and the kids)
Picture bus: £500 (I didn't think we needed this with the caricature artist but she really wanted it :lol:)
Cake: £150
Save the dates/Invites: £200-300
Wedding rings: £1000 (I stupidly designed her engagement ring myself so it needs a bespoke wedding ring to fit with it)
Wedding favours: £200-300
Flowers: £500
Decoration: £500

A lot of that is the budget for it and we're hoping to cut down on the likes of flowers/favours/decoration etc. but there's nothing wild there at all in my opinion. :lol: We both agreed quite early on we didn't want a hotel wedding and wanted it to be something unique so it's in a renovated barn that we'll pretty much design ourselves. That's where a big bulk of the cost is coming from.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 6 January 2019, 05:13:54 pm »
Minimoon to Lanzarote three days after the wedding as well so that's something else we're paying off at the minute. :anguish: I'm so broke man. :lol: