Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 348198 times)

Offline Disco

• General Member
Re: Hollibobs
« Reply #7100 on: Thursday 26 September 2019, 04:38:09 PM »
Was about a tenner in the airport for a pint when I passed through earlier in the year, good luck on your search!

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #7101 on: Thursday 26 September 2019, 05:44:38 PM »
A tenner for a pint sounds exquisitely cheap to my Norwegian ears.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #7102 on: Thursday 26 September 2019, 09:08:06 PM »
My suggestion is drink 40% less.

Offline Heake

• General Member
« Reply #7103 on: Friday 27 September 2019, 10:37:15 AM »
My suggestion is drink 40% less.

:dowie:

Its currently 38degrees Ian, soft drinks don't work at that temperature.

hopefully itl not turn out like a circa 1980`s s**** Spanish (target) holiday when you've ran out of money on the last day but one & you have to go round nicking beer

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #7104 on: Friday 27 September 2019, 10:00:56 PM »
Off to Marrakech tomorrow.
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #7105 on: Saturday 28 September 2019, 12:40:24 AM »
Got back a couple of weeks ago but only posting now - New Orleans is the best city I've ever been to.  Was there for a week and could happily have stayed longer.

Went to a plantation that had been turned into a museum to slavery.  It felt a lot like Auschwitz, but whereas that looked how you'd expect a death camp to look, this looked like something out of Gone With the Wind.  Glad I picked that plantation because I've heard the others just gloss over the slavery side of things.  Also visited the WW2 museum, which is huge and probably the best museum I've been to.  Met a WW2 veteran there who was stationed in my home town of Weymouth before D-Day, which was cool.  Also went on an airboat in the swamp and fed some wild gators, which is one of the most fun things I've ever done.

We did as Cuba said and went to Turkey and the Wolf. Best sandwich ever and one of the best meals I've eaten anywhere. I had a fried bologna sandwich (pictured below) and my girlfriend had their collared greens. She looked like she was on crack eating it and they really were that good. A must do if you're in New Orleans.

Spoiler
[close]

I went here.  Can't believe I went to one of the world's great food cities and the best thing I ate was a ham sandwich.  Ludicrously good.

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #7106 on: Saturday 28 September 2019, 12:41:59 AM »
What was the name of the plantation you went to? We went to the one they used for Django Unchained.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #7107 on: Saturday 28 September 2019, 12:45:34 AM »
What was the name of the plantation you went to? We went to the one they used for Django Unchained.

Whitney.  Drove past the Django one through.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #7108 on: Friday 4 October 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
Tips for things to do in Milan and good eateries please.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #7109 on: Friday 4 October 2019, 10:40:26 AM »
Obvious, but going up the Duomo is cool. We went to a cracking cheap eatery called Portabello but we were on a bit of a budget. Still one of the best times we had in a restaurant in Italy, though.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #7110 on: Friday 4 October 2019, 10:41:28 AM »
Obvious, but going up the Duomo is cool. We went to a cracking cheap eatery called Portabello but we were on a bit of a budget. Still one of the best times we had in a restaurant in Italy, though.

:thup:

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #7111 on: Friday 4 October 2019, 11:25:10 AM »
Tips for things to do in Milan and good eateries please.

The Terrazza Aperol is cracking for views over the piazza and duomo - little bit pricey but worth it imo.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #7112 on: Friday 4 October 2019, 11:37:21 AM »
We didn't go as it was closed but Javier Zanetti has a restaurant close to the park with the castle in it.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #7113 on: Friday 4 October 2019, 11:42:45 AM »
We didn't go as it was closed but Javier Zanetti has a restaurant close to the park with the castle in it.

Must be an impressively sized restaurant.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #7114 on: Friday 4 October 2019, 11:43:45 AM »

Must be an impressively sized restaurant.

:bluestar:

« Reply #7115 on: Friday 4 October 2019, 04:17:44 PM »

Opened a bar in Leeds too.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #7116 on: Friday 4 October 2019, 04:29:32 PM »

Opened a bar in Leeds too.

eh?

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #7117 on: Sunday 6 October 2019, 03:26:07 PM »
Marrakech was incredible like, I'd love to go back to Morocco and do a bit of an inter-city tour as the country fascinates me.
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #7118 on: Monday 7 October 2019, 03:35:23 PM »
Anyone been to Colombia?

Trying to convince my lass to go. Thinking of Bogota-San Andres-Cartagena-Cali Medellin or in the other order. Anywhere else worth going? Is it safe(ish) - assuming the normal don't be a dickhead rules apply but aside from that?

Booked for next year, only took 3 years, hopefully don't get told to FARC off.

Offline Doctor Zaius

• General Member
« Reply #7119 on: Tuesday 8 October 2019, 05:53:36 AM »
Visited Guangzhou and Hong Kong over the last week. Really liked both. Guangzhou suprised me, a lot more character than where I am now. Hong Kong was class, if expensive. We were a bit hamstrung due to the protests (which we avoided) but the metro was off.

Wan Chai I think it was called in HK, has to be one of the seediest spots i've seen like. Two 'British' themed bars surrounded by blatant brothels. Chocka block with street prostitutes too. Was pretty funny/rancid watching old to middle aged western blokes stumble off with them like.

Offline Tyne81

• General Member
« Reply #7120 on: Thursday 10 October 2019, 01:36:03 PM »
Well Mexico was outstanding. Great hotel staffed by the friendliest of people, fantastic food and good drinks constantly coming at you. A little edge out and about especially when the sun dropped,nothing too serious mind, but what a cool place to bob about. Tried all types of tequila and some of them are so smooth as others are lethal. Could easily have spent a month there and not got bored.

Downsides being the constant hassle when your out, literally every few steps and I've been to a few places but this was probably the worst I've encountered. Sad sights seeing babies strapped to mother's while they're out grafting all day and night. The constant pushing for tips by randoms coming up to you in bars doing pointless s*** like taking your picture or some daft magic act then pursuing you for big tips. Also a few places had clearly drugged up Leopards lying in the shop floor just to get you in to buy their tat. I can get why the people out there do this to get money, shockingly paid.

Also we found out towards the end of the holiday the hotel right next to ours had been seized by the government just several months earlier due to the cartel chopping up people there. Found this equally as eerie as it is fascinating.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #7121 on: Thursday 10 October 2019, 09:48:56 PM »
My photos from Belarus last month (posted in here as not as many people check the photo thread). The trip will be remembered for discovering my great love for Ladas... known over there as Zhigulis. Taken on Kodak Tri-X 400 film with a Contax T2 for anyone interested  :)

Spoiler
[close]

Offline ponsaelius

• General Member
« Reply #7122 on: Friday 11 October 2019, 12:21:45 AM »
My photos from Belarus last month (posted in here as not as many people check the photo thread). The trip will be remembered for discovering my great love for Ladas... known over there as Zhigulis. Taken on Kodak Tri-X 400 film with a Contax T2 for anyone interested  :)

Spoiler
[close]

Awesome :thup:
Before that why didn't the Wigan fans just walk the the Stewart's, the Stewart's only went up to the touchline, their was a big gap between the end of the Stewart's and the stand they could have walked through.
God man replacement's don't have to 100% of best to 100% of a replacement.
The are both white, both intellects, both middle class, both the typical 'people who would have thought could never do such a thing ', all traits of a Psychopath.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #7123 on: Friday 11 October 2019, 12:35:17 PM »
Cheers man  :)