Author Topic: Miguel Almirón  (Read 175274 times)

Offline TRon

• General Member
Re: Miguel Almirón
« Reply #3175 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 05:04:24 PM »
rafa had arranged 2 really hard working players (yes, i'm including ayoze) buzzing around a beast of a centre forward.
people forget that last few months of his was a joy.
never thought we'd get stuffed no matter who we played. knew we'd always have a chance.

Those three were phenomenal at pressing the defenders, no mean feat considering we sat back with Rafa as well.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #3176 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 05:08:52 PM »
I don’t think people appreciate how big Perez and Rondon were for us. Even signing Wilson doesn’t come close to replacing what they offered. It was like having 2 strikers and 2 extra midfielders at times.

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #3177 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 05:54:44 PM »
I think he should be the focus really, rather than ASM. Organise the team to get him playing to his best.

I actually like him better than ASM, think he's a better team player. You can see why Rafa liked him, his work rate is phenomenal.

He runs around a lot more but ASM is the more taltented player

Offline Aiston

• General Member
« Reply #3178 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 08:45:41 PM »
I think he should be the focus really, rather than ASM. Organise the team to get him playing to his best.

I actually like him better than ASM, think he's a better team player. You can see why Rafa liked him, his work rate is phenomenal.

Might be more skilful but he's only got 1 goal and 1 assist in the PL this season with 171 more minutes played than Almiron (1 assist).

Offline Rod

• General Member
« Reply #3179 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 11:19:32 PM »

Might be more skilful but he's only got 1 goal and 1 assist in the PL this season with 171 more minutes played than Almiron (1 assist).
But in his defence, he does play for Newcastle under a manager called Steve Bruce.

Offline Consortium of one

• General Member
« Reply #3180 on: Yesterday at 01:40:37 PM »
ASM does miss some simple passes and square ups.  I get the feeling that he makes up his mind he is going to get from point A to B and he goes and does it but in doing so he's missed Wilson a few times open, off to his right, for a CCC.

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #3181 on: Yesterday at 01:44:05 PM »

I don't need statistics in this Bruce team to see that ASM is more talented than Almiron

I know you don't like ASM anyway

Online Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #3182 on: Yesterday at 02:20:20 PM »
I love ASM, think he’s technically better, but prefer Almiron. I think if used correctly, he’s the one who’d have a higher ceiling potential wise.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:23:49 PM by Optimistic Nut »
?s=21

Offline toontownman

• General Member
« Reply #3183 on: Yesterday at 04:14:15 PM »
I love ASM, think he’s technically better, but prefer Almiron. I think if used correctly, he’s the only who’d have a higher ceiling potential wise.
This. Absolutely criminal how he has been misused and treated imo.
Chris Hughton, simply the best manager we had from 2009-2010.

Offline Menace

• General Member
  • If only.
« Reply #3184 on: Yesterday at 04:23:40 PM »
ASM is overrated by our fans.
Quote from: Sunderland Fan
We are always second best to them, always.

Online Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #3185 on: Yesterday at 04:24:34 PM »
I don’t think he’s over-rated like and would like to see him in a better team with a better manager here.
?s=21

Offline Smal

• General Member
  • Leeds/York
« Reply #3186 on: Yesterday at 04:39:44 PM »
3 games playing out of position in the most turgid system imaginable and now people have decided ASM is overrated :lol:

Offline Menace

• General Member
  • If only.
« Reply #3187 on: Yesterday at 04:42:48 PM »
Yeah that would be it. I'm basing it on the last 3 games.

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #3188 on: Yesterday at 04:59:32 PM »
3 games playing out of position in the most turgid system imaginable and now people have decided ASM is overrated :lol:

Yeah its madness.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Offline Holmesy

« Reply #3189 on: Yesterday at 05:12:29 PM »

Unbelievable how short people's memories are. On his day, ASM is one of the best in the PL. Pundits, other team's fans, the media etc. were frothing over his performances last season - he was lighting the league up. It's no coincidence that since our neolithic manager tinkered with his positioning and probably sapped a lot of his motivation, we've looked a lot less dangerous as a team and ASM has looked a fraction of the player he was last season. Some of that is no doubt down to other teams figuring out how to play him but most of it is down to our s*** deployment of him

In the right scenario ASM is a game winner - Bruce isn't that scenario, ever!

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #3190 on: Yesterday at 05:41:03 PM »

Absolutely mad.

I really like Almiron but I don't think we've ever seen him have a game like ASM had a the end of last season or early this season. Maybe his debut I guess

Offline huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #3191 on: Yesterday at 05:42:26 PM »
ASM is expected to be our sole creative light, especially when miggy isnt in the team (and vice versa).
its a thankless f***ing task, no matter what position he's played in.

he needs pace and intelligent movement around him just like any other decent player.

ASM and Miggy are the absolute least of our worries.
john gibson in the chronicle this afternoon;
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #3192 on: Yesterday at 05:46:34 PM »
Yep it's the Ben Arfa situation all over again

Overrated because he can't take on the whole team on his own

Offline Menace

• General Member
  • If only.
« Reply #3193 on: Yesterday at 05:56:24 PM »
Or it could be cause he shows up once in a blue moon?

With proper coaching, I would definitely fancy Almiron out of the two. ASM is great on his day, but most of the time he tries to be flashy and it doesn't quite work.

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #3194 on: Yesterday at 05:59:00 PM »
Well that's not true is it.

The last 3 games where he's mostly been playing out of position isn't a fair reflection when he was excellent between January and October

Offline Menace

• General Member
  • If only.
« Reply #3195 on: Yesterday at 06:05:25 PM »
Excellent?

No player in this team has been excellent for a long time under this Bruce era, not having that.

Offline Smal

• General Member
  • Leeds/York
« Reply #3196 on: Yesterday at 06:15:58 PM »
There’ll be a couple of exceptions (ie Brighton this season, when he was injured) but he’s been at least 7/10 in every game in 2020 up until the last 3 imo. Often more, which is incredible in a Steve Bruce team. I don’t see the ‘once in a blue moon’ point at all tbh.

Online Yorkie

• General Member
« Reply #3197 on: Yesterday at 06:16:42 PM »
ASM's got that explosive quality that sets him apart. I don't think 'tries to be flashy and doesn't quite work' is a fair criticism when his role in the side is so isolated. Not isolated in the sense that he has no one around him: but isolated in the same way everyone in the team is isolated. They're just a bunch of directionless cogs in a machine that's falling to bits - no collective purpose, just random. When you've got the ball, lads, just try and do something. In that sense he's not 'trying to be flashy'; he's not being expressive at the wrong times, he just hasn't got a clue what he's supposed to be doing within the context of the rest of the team. You can apply that logic to just about every player atm.

He'd have been an outrageous option to choose from alongside Rondon-Perez-Almiron. Imagine being a defender and having to put up with those three constantly drifting into the channels and creating space in behind; then on comes ASM to run at you and threaten from wide for the last 20 minutes. :lol:  Not saying he wouldn't be an 'automatic starter', we'd just have options and the ability to effectively rotate.