Author Topic: US Election Clusterf*ckstravaganza - Primaries, etc.  (Read 184835 times)

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
Re: US Election Clusterf*ckstravaganza - Primaries, etc.
« Reply #7550 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 02:16:06 PM »
Take that tweet as an example. Juries have nothing to do with the Department of Justice, except to the extent U.S. Attorneys are participants in the jury selection process, along with defense attorneys and District Court judges. Niggly little detail, maybe, except that what Trump has now effectively done is thrown the entire federal juridical system under the bus with the DOJ--all without any factual basis. So goodbye federal judiciary as a relatively trustworthy, respected, legitimate--and, yes, sometimes very flawed--institution; and hello justice is whatever Trump says it is.

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
« Reply #7551 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 02:20:12 PM »
I suppose the one saving grace is that in addition to being gullible we've also got amazingly short attention spans, so in 2 years time the institution of the justice department will hardly have a tarnished reputation from the stupidity of Trump tweets.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
« Reply #7552 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 02:25:44 PM »
And it's not just Trump who's at fault. It takes complicit facilitators in the administration, Congress, the judiciary, the RNC, the f***ing DNC, too, state and local government and party structures, and, perhaps scariest of all, a general population that is willing to substitute Trump's manufactured reality for the one they perceive with their own senses. It's a total abdication of reason. Maybe people feel abandoned by institutions. Maybe that's fair in some cases. The answer is not to join in a narcissist's quest to reduce all structure to chaos.

Offline thomas

• General Member
« Reply #7553 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 02:27:29 PM »
I would love him if he wasn't a sack of s*** :lol: :lol:

how will people who are already crying to their therapists about mean bernie bros avoid dying IRL when trump roasts their candidate into smoldering ash

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
« Reply #7554 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 02:29:36 PM »
I suppose the one saving grace is that in addition to being gullible we've also got amazingly short attention spans, so in 2 years time the institution of the justice department will hardly have a tarnished reputation from the stupidity of Trump tweets.

I think that's true, too. At least to an extent. Another problem is that he's also actually structurally weakening the DOJ and the judiciary, in addition to the reputational damage. Not unfixable, but it will be work.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #7555 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 02:35:25 PM »
Brave man firing shots out about peoples height when he's got those obvious as f*** lifts in his shoes.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
« Reply #7556 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 02:37:03 PM »
There's also the issue that we're ultimately going to learn exactly zero lessons from the Trump presidency, so we can all look forward this sort of thing (down with it!) happening again soon--or probably just continuing to happen for the foreseeable future.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #7557 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 02:38:17 PM »
There's also the issue that we're ultimately going to learn exactly zero lessons from the Trump presidency, so we can all look forward to it all happening again soon--or probably just continuing to happen for the foreseeable future.

same in the uk, we're doomed to repeat this cycle for a long time imo - probably gonna take another crash or something for people to wake the f*** up
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #7558 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 02:45:14 PM »
There's also the issue that we're ultimately going to learn exactly zero lessons from the Trump presidency, so we can all look forward this sort of thing (down with it!) happening again soon--or probably just continuing to happen for the foreseeable future.

He's so far ahead of the media it's untrue.

Live on TV to lie freely am I? Don't mind if I do.
Distract you with ultra-bollocks whilst my team shred all your rights shall I? Don't mind if I do.
What's that? You'll let me keep the talking points drifting ever right? Go on then, if you insist.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
« Reply #7559 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 02:56:44 PM »
And it's not just Trump who's at fault. It takes complicit facilitators in the administration, Congress, the judiciary, the RNC, the f***ing DNC, too, state and local government and party structures, and, perhaps scariest of all, a general population that is willing to substitute Trump's manufactured reality for the one they perceive with their own senses. It's a total abdication of reason. Maybe people feel abandoned by institutions. Maybe that's fair in some cases. The answer is not to join in a narcissist's quest to reduce all structure to chaos.

I've got fewer concerns about the general population. Take my workplace - most of my colleagues have probably never heard of Roger Stone, let alone have any idea about this case, yet it is by definition well-educated (Nursing - you need a Bachelor's Degree now). This stuff just isn't on their radar. It's the naked complicity of the administration and government in general that is so concerning. I mean, like the Slate article suggested, he directly used the Justice Department to shield somebody who was convicted for lying on his behalf and intimidating witnesses, then he attacked a juror in the case. It's beyond the pale...again...and the craven actions of - primarily - senior members of the GOP are absolutely unforgiveable.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline YankeeToon

• General Member
« Reply #7560 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 03:21:40 PM »

See, I'm more worried that the GOP DID learn lessons from this, and next time it's gonna be the same playbook but with somebody with charisma and intelligence.

Offline Aphrodite

• General Member
« Reply #7561 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 03:39:46 PM »
Take that tweet as an example. Juries have nothing to do with the Department of Justice, except to the extent U.S. Attorneys are participants in the jury selection process, along with defense attorneys and District Court judges. Niggly little detail, maybe, except that what Trump has now effectively done is thrown the entire federal juridical system under the bus with the DOJ--all without any factual basis. So goodbye federal judiciary as a relatively trustworthy, respected, legitimate--and, yes, sometimes very flawed--institution; and hello justice is whatever Trump says it is.

He also said the judge 'put Manafort in solitarity confinement' when judges don't make decisions about prison conditions. Washington Post now have him at about 15-20 lies a day, it's corrosive
Interviewer: Which pantomine contains the character 'Widow Twanky'?
Sean Thornton: Romeo and Juliet

Offline Aphrodite

• General Member
« Reply #7562 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 03:46:08 PM »

Do enjoy how much Bloomberg is winding him up :lol:

Offline leffe186

• General Member
« Reply #7563 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 03:52:43 PM »
I confess, it's nice to see somebody say this s*** clearly:

They know you inherited a fortune & squandered it with stupid deals and incompetence.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #7564 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 03:55:40 PM »
I hope Trump making fun of his height triggers all the short incels who voted for him last time.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
« Reply #7565 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 04:06:44 PM »
Bloomberg v. Trump would have a perversely interesting billionaire-Pokemon aspect to it. Bloombergar -- strength: buys all the dank memes; weaknesses: institutional racism, dog-face shaking. Bloombergar I choose you!

Offline Aphrodite

• General Member
« Reply #7566 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 04:15:59 PM »
Trump would hate it - mainly cos Bloomberg is way richer than he is, is still fairly popular in New York and doesn't lie about his wealth.

Offline thomas

• General Member
« Reply #7567 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 04:27:13 PM »
why, given his already long and embarrassing history, would booomberg be the one thing to get under the skin of Donny? :lol: he possesses the self reflection and consciousness of a towel at rest.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #7568 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 04:38:11 PM »
why, given his already long and embarrassing history, would booomberg be the one thing to get under the skin of Donny? :lol: he possesses the self reflection and consciousness of a towel at rest.

Because he's got more money.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #7569 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 04:39:10 PM »
Bloomberg v. Trump would have a perversely interesting billionaire-Pokemon aspect to it. Bloombergar -- strength: buys all the dank memes; weaknesses: institutional racism, dog-face shaking. Bloombergar I choose you!

I'd rather not vote than vote for either of those racist f***s.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
« Reply #7570 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 05:23:19 PM »

I'd rather not vote than vote for either of those racist f***s.

Hopefully we're never actually in the position to have to make that decision. If we do, we're well and truly f***ed. There are things that can't be excused just for the sake of getting Trump out. If I thought Bloomberg honestly didn't understand the consequences of what he was doing back then and was legitimately sorry for it and pledged to work to undo the damage he's done, that's a thing I guess I'd have to consider. But I don't have to consider it because that is clearly not the look we're looking at.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #7571 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 05:29:00 PM »
:lol: Ah man, we're 100 percent gonna be making that choice, B.

They're gonna hit Bernie with a steel chair at the convention and it'll be Bloomberg vs Trump.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
« Reply #7572 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 05:31:48 PM »
@thomas -- odds on Bernie surviving a steel chair blow?

Offline YankeeToon

• General Member
« Reply #7573 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 05:31:52 PM »
:lol: Ah man, we're 100 percent gonna be making that choice, B.

They're gonna hit Bernie with a steel chair at the convention and it'll be Bloomberg vs Trump.

That is 100% the DNC's plan, yep. Who better to stop an old white racist billionaire than an old white racist billionaire?

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #7574 on: Thursday 13 February 2020, 05:34:27 PM »
@thomas -- odds on Bernie surviving a steel chair blow?

:lol: Bernie on the deck like late 90's Nitro while Bloomberg and Perez parade around him, dodging soda cups and trash flying from the seats. Wasserman Shulz Hillary watching from the roof like Sting.

f*** I loved wrestling.