Author Topic: Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread  (Read 272161 times)

Online hakka

• General Member
Re: Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread
« Reply #5250 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 01:12:08 PM »
Awesome :thup:

I remember having a first go of a mate's set (slightly older model) thinking (and saying): "pfft, never be like vinyl. Impossible."

I was sooooooo wrong. I was blown away. Absolutely amazed at the technology. I could scratch like it was a 12" but it also had cool tricks like 2 bar reverses etc. They really have put a lot of finesse into these things.

I remember when CD mixers came on the market and that's what probably muddied my opinion.

So tempted to get some just to play.

I grew up as a vinyl DJ starting in 2001 and still prefer it, but clubs for last sort of 14 years have all shifted to CDJ setups.

What I love about this setup is that it's so versatile. While playing digital tracks you can just snap a loop of anything from 1 beat to 32 beats in just one tap. Then do all sorts of fx and tricks on that before carrying it on, or you could mix out on that loop.

With the 4 channels I have my turntables connected to up too so have a mixing wet dream device right in front of me. Plus it's all familiar to club setups whether it be CDJ1000, 2000 or 3000.

The value is incredible. £1899 sounds a lot, but to buy the decks and mixer as separate devices your looking at circa £5k. Insanely expensive.

Online hakka

• General Member
« Reply #5251 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 01:13:13 PM »
Mix music/tracks together :D But via your music on your USB stick etc. Rather than the old-school way of dragging your vinyl collection from gig to gig :lol:

Also fully integratable with rekordbox or serato from a laptop. Very versatile.

Online hakka

• General Member
« Reply #5252 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 01:18:03 PM »
So what are all the controls for?  Different effects and stuff?

Beyond normal EQ and channel volume controls, it has sections for a variety of FX. Flange, Phaser, Delays, Reverb etc. and a secondary fx colour section for (Bit)Crush, Sweep, Filter etc. - you can apply them to individual channels or to groups or all of them. Means you can do all sorts of trickery instead of just fading and blending two tracks together.

The other stuff has options for introducing samples and loops on hits, or making loops out of anything thats playing, then playing around with that to be creative, or bail yourself out to buy more time to mix out of a track to if it's running out.

It's a great bit of kit as its same functions and applications as the £5k industry standard kit in clubs but as a single unit for £1899.

Offline POOT 2.0

• Release notes: Minor improvements and bug fixes!
« Reply #5253 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 02:51:51 PM »

I remember having a first go of a mate's set (slightly older model) thinking (and saying): "pfft, never be like vinyl. Impossible."

I was sooooooo wrong. I was blown away. Absolutely amazed at the technology. I could scratch like it was a 12" but it also had cool tricks like 2 bar reverses etc. They really have put a lot of finesse into these things.

I remember when CD mixers came on the market and that's what probably muddied my opinion.

I grew up as a vinyl DJ starting in 2001 and still prefer it, but clubs for last sort of 14 years have all shifted to CDJ setups.

What I love about this setup is that it's so versatile. While playing digital tracks you can just snap a loop of anything from 1 beat to 32 beats in just one tap. Then do all sorts of fx and tricks on that before carrying it on, or you could mix out on that loop.

With the 4 channels I have my turntables connected to up too so have a mixing wet dream device right in front of me. Plus it's all familiar to club setups whether it be CDJ1000, 2000 or 3000.

The value is incredible. £1899 sounds a lot, but to buy the decks and mixer as separate devices your looking at circa £5k. Insanely expensive.

I'm so tempted to get back for some fun, again. This must be the flagship model despite the DDJ RZ being called that? The RZ is a tad cheaper...but the XZ looks way better. *By flagship...I mean in this type of all-in-one device. Edit: Just seen the Pioneer DDJ-RZX  :drool:

I started on vinyl around 89 and had one hell of a ride up to around 2000.

Online Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #5254 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 02:57:29 PM »
Yeh, they've come a long way from just the normal EQ controls. I don't desire all the mad bells and whistles...but they're there if you want. Samplers, pads, audio effects, etc etc.

£1800 is a lot but it seems good value for what you're getting.

Also 3,1,2,4 is because 1 and 2 (which are likely your main channels) stay together in the middle. Easier to find in the dark etc.
Welcome back :)

Offline POOT 2.0

• Release notes: Minor improvements and bug fixes!
« Reply #5255 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 02:58:04 PM »
Yeh, they've come a long way from just the normal EQ controls. I don't desire all the mad bells and whistles...but they're there if you want. Samplers, pads, audio effects, etc etc.

£1800 is a lot but it seems good value for what you're getting.

Also 3,1,2,4 is because 1 and 2 (which are likely your main channels) stay together in the middle. Easier to find in the dark etc.
Welcome back :)

Thank you  :rose:

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #5256 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
Silly question, but as a lapsed DJ I don’t actually own any music anymore because of Spotify. To put together a DJ set now, are you buying all the tracks?

Online hakka

• General Member
« Reply #5257 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 03:50:44 PM »

I'm so tempted to get back for some fun, again. This must be the flagship model despite the DDJ RZ being called that? The RZ is a tad cheaper...but the XZ looks way better. *By flagship...I mean in this type of all-in-one device. Edit: Just seen the Pioneer DDJ-RZX  :drool:

I started on vinyl around 89 and had one hell of a ride up to around 2000.

89 to 2000 was a golden era. Music was amazing, rave scene, club scene, dance music in the charts, people went out in droves.... imagine you enjoyed that time a lot.

Yeah RZX looks sick, but has too many features I just wouldn't use for the extra grand.

Online hakka

• General Member
« Reply #5258 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 03:53:09 PM »
Silly question, but as a lapsed DJ I don’t actually own any music anymore because of Spotify. To put together a DJ set now, are you buying all the tracks?

Yes and no. I get sent a lot of promos from labels which are free as long as provide feedback/reviews. I do buy from digital stores too (beatport.com probably most well known).

Offline RS

• General Member
« Reply #5259 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 04:53:42 PM »
Whilst on the turntable topic I got myself this:

He’s here forever

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #5260 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 06:01:43 PM »
Had one of these back in the day.

Used to DJ at my mates house parties, by DJ I mean just play this "drop" on loop.

Offline NE27

• General Member
  • I'm a pretty boy living on the Westside
« Reply #5261 on: Monday 19 October 2020, 10:23:52 AM »
Philadelphia Flyers jersey.

Ordered from DH for £20. Expectations are low for when the delivery donkey arrives next month, but not too fussed if it was small things like stitching joins etc.

It's just for chilling in and around house so a 1:1 isn't a total necessity. Got it without name and numbers as I assumed that would leave less room for error :lol:

Online hakka

• General Member
« Reply #5262 on: Monday 19 October 2020, 02:31:39 PM »

What's the brand? Just curious to read about.

Offline RS

• General Member
« Reply #5263 on: Friday 23 October 2020, 09:26:57 PM »

What's the brand? Just curious to read about.
Pro-ject. Need some decent bookshelf speakers now.
He’s here forever

Offline bobbydazzla

• General Member
« Reply #5264 on: Friday 23 October 2020, 10:04:34 PM »
Arrived early, originally expected November. So excited. The unboxing process was so delicate and satisfying.

:smitten:

Looks like a mint bit of kit.

I learnt to DJ on Technics in the 90’s and now just use mixing software on my MacBook, being able to beatmatch with vinyl makes digital mixing a doddle and looping etc allows for loads more creativity with tune selection and set programming

Very tempted to get a decent set up like you’ve got, would love to have something like that.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #5265 on: Today at 04:21:43 PM »
Arrived early, originally expected November. So excited. The unboxing process was so delicate and satisfying.

:smitten:

Looks like a mint bit of kit.

I learnt to DJ on Technics in the 90’s and now just use mixing software on my MacBook, being able to beatmatch with vinyl makes digital mixing a doddle and looping etc allows for loads more creativity with tune selection and set programming

Very tempted to get a decent set up like you’ve got, would love to have something like that.

Are the decks massive or is the cat tiny?
(She/he's the spitting dabs of my cat, by the way)