Author Topic: Boycott Wolves anyway, f*** it.  (Read 14918 times)

Online UncleBingo

• General Member
Re: Don't boycott Wolves after all?
« Reply #450 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 01:38:18 pm »
People love to criticize everything mind.

Seems perfectly sensible to wait until after the window closes. If the club isn't sold and players aren't bought protests will renew with some vigour and I'm sure more people will be willing to join in.

Yep. Also prevents Ashley from blaming fan negativity should a takeover not materialise. People responding to TMG with vitriol doesn't bode well for the future, mind.

Correct. It was going to be a pathetic attempt at a boycott, calling off is the best approach. Need to strike while the iron is hot with these things and in the end it all petered out.

If another disaster of a window goes by, which it will, form drops and Ashley remains, the appetite will be there again in February.

:thup:

Not calling it in the first place would have been the best option imo. It being called off doesn't look good after its been announced, but it's a good excuse for a face-saving cancellation of it. It's more their integrity that's the worry now because they've essentially p*ssed off both sides of the boycott debate now. :lol:

Once there's a genuine appetite for it I'm sure it'll be forgotten though.

The Magpie Group needs disbanding now IMO. Their hearts are in the right place but cancelling protests after announcing them means they have lost their credibility. I wouldn't blindly throw my support behind them like I have done in the past.

I think they were forced into a corner by True Faith, who were clearly driving their own agenda, just like they did with some of the AO protests. That said, I think it was probably the right decision to postpone, but it's very much damned if they do, damned if they don't.

At the end of the day, people can still boycott Wolves, and better still, bin their season tickets......I certainly won't be back at SJP until Ashley has vacated the building.

Offline The College Dropout

• General Member
  • The Look Of Satisfaction
« Reply #451 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 01:50:27 pm »
What worries me is that part of the 'apathy' is more a symptom of the way football is heading rather than Ashley's ownership. Ashley clearly exacerbates this effect but I just wonder whether football hasn't changed too much. 

This wouldn't run at Liverpool or Man United. It says more about us than anything imo.

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #452 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 01:52:40 pm »
Because those are two clubs that always have been rich enough to compete. Manchester United seem to be embracing a new perspective about where they should be.

Offline mickthemagpie

• General Member
« Reply #453 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 01:57:07 pm »
At least when he goes, alot of the hardcore fans will return, it will improve the atmosphere.

Hope this is true, I know dozens of people who'd been going their whole lives who've packed in because of him.

Where will they sit? The ground is virtually full as it is. People have been walking away for years and been replaced by others who are not going to give up their seats now. Those who think the ground is big enough as it is will get a wake up call once Ashley goes.

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #454 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 01:58:59 pm »
At least when he goes, alot of the hardcore fans will return, it will improve the atmosphere.

Hope this is true, I know dozens of people who'd been going their whole lives who've packed in because of him.

Where will they sit? The ground is virtually full as it is. People have been walking away for years and been replaced by others who are not going to give up their seats now. Those who think the ground is big enough as it is will get a wake up call once Ashley goes.

Well, if you are a member you can sit anywhere you want really.

Whether a new owner would scrap the membership system i don't know.

Offline The College Dropout

• General Member
  • The Look Of Satisfaction
« Reply #455 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 02:00:49 pm »
Because those are two clubs that always have been rich enough to compete. Manchester United seem to be embracing a new perspective about where they should be.

Man united still spend a lot of money. Moreso than they used too.

Both of those fans played a big part in removing owners in the past. Likewise the Rangers fans would run Ashley out

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #456 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 02:02:48 pm »

Man united still spend a lot of money. Moreso than they used too.

Both of those fans played a big part in removing owners in the past. Likewise the Rangers fans would run Ashley out

They are both better at protesting than us, no doubt.

Not sure if either have had a boycott of a match like.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #457 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 02:05:25 pm »
The sad thing about all of this is that even if a takeover happens and everything gets back on track, I'm still going to be left feeling utter contempt for a large portion of our fanbase. The damage done by Ashley is immense, really, it goes far beyond what it ever should.

:sadnod: Grim.

Yup. At this point I'm not sure I'd care all that much even if we were sold.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #458 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 02:06:19 pm »
The Rangers fans still haven't fully removed Ashley and that was over a much smaller percentage. Sons of Struth and Spirit of Shankley have both spoken about issues with getting fans inside so it's not specific to us, but I'd maybe agree that there's a higher percentage. Who knows, but it feels that way.

In Italy he'd have been long gone years ago.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #459 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 02:09:26 pm »
The sad thing about all of this is that even if a takeover happens and everything gets back on track, I'm still going to be left feeling utter contempt for a large portion of our fanbase. The damage done by Ashley is immense, really, it goes far beyond what it ever should.

You'd soon get back to supporting the team how you want to support it without having to worry about the plums you're surrounded by or the person running things.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #460 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 02:10:30 pm »

:yao: It's going to be epic man.

Offline astraguy

• General Member
« Reply #461 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 02:25:59 pm »
Ashley wins again

Offline Rich

• General Member
« Reply #462 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 02:26:54 pm »
Myopic.
“We have a manager now whose eye for detail is incredible. The injury record since he’s been here has been phenomenal and that’s down to his meticulous planning, when to use or rest players. At the same time, he has a depth of feeling. It means a lot. Some people have worked here who wouldn’t have a clue about tradition, about Geordie people.”

Offline Wallsendmag

• General Member
« Reply #463 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 03:09:37 pm »

Wouldn't happen at West Ham either.
Sunderland AFC - The club that knowingly played a paedophile

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #464 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 03:25:33 pm »
Again though, in Ashley there has been an owner who has fundamentally targeted and changed what support means to Newcastle Fans. Liverpool fans were certainly more coherent but this was 8 years ago. Manchester United are still owned by the Glazer Family.

Online huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #465 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 07:32:29 pm »
I dont think anyone can put this down as an "Ashley wins again" scenario.

if he f***s this sale up the backlash will be bigger.
the media will call him out, more fans will be on his back and I think TMG will have more support (may be not tens of thousands but certainly more than now).

if we  boycott wolves game and the sale collapses - TMG loses, the club loses, and Ashley wins.
john gibson in the chronicle this afternoon;
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #466 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 07:42:11 pm »

the media will call him out, more fans will be on his back and I think TMG will have more support (may be not tens of thousands but certainly more than now).

if we  boycott wolves game and the sale collapses - TMG loses, the club loses, and Ashley wins.

There is no sale.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #467 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 07:45:01 pm »

there will be no backlash
no-one will call him out
no-one will be on his back
the boycott would've had zero relevance to the sale of the club (but I do agree that this nonsensical line would've found it's way into the narrative)

Online huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #468 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 08:27:58 pm »
there'll be more people on his back than there are now when the sale inevitably fails.
it may only be in the hundreds but there will be more.
john gibson in the chronicle this afternoon;
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
  • The Dirty Pitchers
« Reply #469 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 08:41:47 pm »
there'll be more people on his back than there are now when the sale inevitably fails.
it may only be in the hundreds but there will be more.

Doubt it.

Offline Tsunami

• General Member
  • Ashley Out
« Reply #470 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 08:46:09 pm »
The boycott was going to be a complete non event, there’s no significant appetite for it. TMG are doing the right thing by calling it off. I agree that this is win win for them, if this all Ashley playing games again TMG will gain much needed match going fan support and you’d like to think the media will be all over him calling him out.

Online xLiaaamx

• General Member
« Reply #471 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 02:50:44 am »
All these stupid fan factions man. So many ego's ruining everything. Too many wanting to make names for themselves rather than do good for the club.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #472 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 04:57:50 am »
.com had an interesting take:

The Magpie Group had been urging fans to boycott this game but they have now dropped that plan in the light of recent developments regarding the club's sale.
Looking after Charles Freck's artifacts

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #473 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:38:18 am »
I think February 1st 2019 will be an interesting date in the history of Newcastle United, if we are sitting mid table and have spent a few million in the window and Rafa stays then the whole issue just fades away.

If that doesn't happen and Rafa chucks his lot in then I think the overall majority of fans will turn.

Rafa is key to this whole situation.

Offline Wallsendmag

• General Member
« Reply #474 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:59:38 am »

I honestly don't think it will be. A few people bumping their gums on social media is as bad as it'll get for him.
Sunderland AFC - The club that knowingly played a paedophile