Author Topic: Car Repairs help  (Read 360 times)

Offline danny

• General Member
Car Repairs help
« on: Tuesday 23 October 2018, 11:32:49 am »
Hi guys are there any mechanics on here some advice needed before i splurge out on a garage.

The wife drove the car with very little water in the rad and broke down, she filled the rad up and the car started and ran generally fine. but now has no heating (only blows cold air) and takes longer to cool down after driving, she realised she hadent put no coolant in just water so she will be doing that this afternoon

Its an 06 astra sxi and was wondering if this would be an easy fix like a blown fuse ect... many thanks guys  :aww:
It comming home.....

Online Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
Re: Car Repairs help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 2018, 05:20:52 pm »
Hi guys are there any mechanics on here some advice needed before i splurge out on a garage.

The wife drove the car with very little water in the rad and broke down, she filled the rad up and the car started and ran generally fine. but now has no heating (only blows cold air) and takes longer to cool down after driving, she realised she hadent put no coolant in just water so she will be doing that this afternoon

Its an 06 astra sxi and was wondering if this would be an easy fix like a blown fuse ect... many thanks guys  :aww:

Is the water draining out of the well quicker than normal? It could be a water leak. Generally speaking even though there's no coolant you should still be able to get hot air with just water. After the car is running for a bit, is the themostat reading like normal or is it fully down to the cold side?

Could be a few things. Possibly an airlock. Possibly a split pipe. Relatively inexpensive to fix.

Offline danny

• General Member
Re: Car Repairs help
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 2018, 07:20:24 pm »
I thought it was an airlock so set about sorting it, and found a small hole when 4 ltrs of coolant mix hit the floor in 20 odd seconds from one of the pipes.

I couldnt sort that myself so the wife took it to a garage long story short £110

it has been there since before the breakdown and  she drove it for 4/6 days with no water in it apparently and it didnt overheat or breakdown again  :yikes:

Thanks for the reply tho dude very greatful
It comming home.....