Author Topic: Poppygate  (Read 13987 times)

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
Re: Poppygate
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 12:25:32 AM »
I sporadically have worn one. My great granddad fought at Passchendaele so it means something personal to me, especially last year as it was 100 years since the battle. Will probably wear one this year for the 100 years since the end of the Great War. Helps also being a history fanatic.

No problems whatsoever with people not wearing one or wearing it. The debate over is it tedious.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 12:55:31 AM »
I sporadically have worn one. My great granddad fought at Passchendaele so it means something personal to me, especially last year as it was 100 years since the battle. Will probably wear one this year for the 100 years since the end of the Great War. Helps also being a history fanatic.

No problems whatsoever with people not wearing one or wearing it. The debate over is it tedious.

It’s a symbol of the Great War for me and always should be. A war that broke the class barriers of the Edwardian era and a pivotal marker in the fall and folly of empire building and flag waving jingo. It’s become/becoming forgotten in terms of that poignance through well meaning remembrance of more recent conflict. It’s a historical marker more so than a compulsion of respect for me.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 01:32:01 AM »

It’s a symbol of the Great War for me and always should be. A war that broke the class barriers of the Edwardian era and a pivotal marker in the fall and folly of empire building and flag waving jingo. It’s become/becoming forgotten in terms of that poignance through well meaning remembrance of more recent conflict. It’s a historical marker more so than a compulsion of respect for me.

:thup:

Agreed. The fact it's becoming a contest on who is the 'true British patriot supporting are troops" or whatever is sad. The blokes sitting in the trenches covered in clarts, waiting to be sent over the top to almost certain death at the Somme or any of the battle of Ypres I'm sure didn't have this bollocks in mind when wondering how they and their mates would be remembered.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 01:53:18 AM »
Rather than wearing a poppy, I prefer to go the extra mile to pay my respects by hooking myself up to a morphine drip and blasting a few bugle calls*. Why just wear the poppy when you can become the poppy? Bloody part-time patriots.

*this post was not meant to disrespect anyone, mass respect to the fallen  :icon_salut:

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 09:52:58 AM »
I don’t think I have worn one since school. Not that I don’t want too, but because I have never really been in a position to buy one. I don’t carry lose change and that appears to be all that they accept and when I do have some change on me they have either already sold out, or ran out of pins. They are also the worst thing to pin on to yourself, you always end up stabbing yourself and losing it.

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
Most poppies are single use plastic. A dilemma for someone who cares about the planet and wants to observe remembrance.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 11:30:57 AM »
I don't really buy one anymore, I respect our armed forces but they should be something that we have reluctantly, and regret the need to use. Also not entirely clear on what the poppy represents exactly.

When you're clearly focused on WW1 and 2 then it's pretty easy to be on board, once you add in all the other conflicts it gets a bit more complex.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 11:42:51 AM »
I've never really bothered with it. People can remember whatever they want in their own way, and it doesn't have to be a public expression. Just because someone isn't taking part in the poppy wearing it doesn't mean they care any less.

As for people that get all wound up about it on either side and try to inject their political hangups into it(and everything else really), they're a minority of weirdos that need a more enjoyable hobby.

I don’t wear one (never have - not for any pilitical reason, just think it’s a bit pointless) and feel uncomfortable in forced situations where people take some sort of weird pride about wearing one. Couldn’t give a f*** about people who wear them though, or think theres some kind of moral justice to wearing them.

Cannot stand those freaks or the ones who think it’s pua cool to reject it.

:thup:

Offline Bimpy474

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
Never worn one, for no reason really just never have. People want to wear them fine, they don't, that's fine too. Pretty meh for me.

Online triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 11:53:38 AM »
Actually have two great granduncles that died in WWI but would never wear one. Each to their own
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
I've got a poppy tattoo for maximum respect
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 12:03:02 PM »
Actually have two great granduncles that died in WWI but would never wear one. Each to their own

Didn’t know you had German heritage :bluestar:

Online triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 12:15:05 PM »

Didn’t know you had German heritage :bluestar:
I wish
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline newsted

• General Member
  • Everything Louder Than Everything Else. RIP Lemmy.
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 05:23:55 PM »
I wear one but doesn’t bother me if other people don’t. Hate the people that try to be different though and complain for no reason.

Remembrance weekend to remember (wey!) for me this year as I am on parade for the Lord Mayors Show in London.

You Army like?
:) As you were.

Offline bigfella

• General Member
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 09:40:43 PM »
Already seen a "share this : I wear my poppy with pride and I don't care who it upsets " posts from one of my cousins on Facebook and there's still a month to go till Remembrance Day :sad:

When did this become a thing?
We wore poppies at school in the week before the 11th, but you rarely saw adults wearing them, unless they were actual veterans : (I'm old enough to remember seeing some from the Great War), but the man in the street, no.

Same as the furore about the likes of James McLean refusing to wear them and going against a tradition that must have been going on for ooh, about fifteen years  :crazy2:

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 09:56:54 PM »
Not even that, ten max. First ever PL poppy was in 2009. Fast forward a few years and Theresa May is standing up in the Commons condemning FIFA for not allowing England to wear them on the shirts, despite the fact England never wore a poppy once between their inception in 1921 and 2011.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 09:59:28 PM »
Don't remember anyone caring about it at school, college or uni.
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
I mean...

?s=21

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 10:21:39 PM »
Poppy facism is all kinds of weird like, from both sides of the argument. I don’t wear one, simply because I am sick of the subject :lol:

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 10:43:26 PM »
TBH I’d rather have something to remember victims of genocide or something like that, remind people not to get too into nationalism.

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 13 October 2018, 11:48:53 PM »
I mean...

?s=21

I don't know why that is so funny.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 14 October 2018, 12:03:41 AM »
TBH I’d rather have something to remember victims of genocide or something like that, remind people not to get too into nationalism.

Many genocides do have memorial days. Just admit it, the poppy rustles your jimmies.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 14 October 2018, 02:04:01 AM »
It’s also a tradition in Canada and I don’t recall any poppy-related controversies from my time there. Plenty of folks wore them, plenty didn’t.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #48 on: Monday 15 October 2018, 12:43:58 AM »
I don’t wear one now as it - like the Union Jack and St George’s Cross among other symbols - has been taken over by a myriad of organisations and individuals not as a symbol of rememberance or respect, but a political and populist football. I pay my respects by way of silence when the minute or minutes demand and visiting monuments that honour the Great War and those especially who lost their lives in battle during it. They will never be forgotten poppy or no poppy. I do find it absolutely disgraceful that the poppy has been used in a way that makes it almost compulsory to wear and anyone that doesn’t is deemed some kind of traitor or ingrate or is basically desecrating the graves of the War dead. They didn’t go to war and die so we could all wear a poppy a hundred years later. Nor did they go to war and die so jumped up cretins could use it as a weopon to demonise people or to make people feel self important or a better person. I’m pretty sure they would all consider ‘Poppygate’ as ridiculous as War itself. What pisses me off the most are those imbeciles who wear it as a symbol of nationalism and and use it in jingoistic way to stir up patriotism in the ridiculous belief that it shields them from whatever enemy they perceive as a threat to their nation. Muslims, foreigners, the darkies... oh the the irony is well and truly lost on them.

The Poppy is a short lived plant by the way, like the lives of many millions of people who fought in the Great War and those who died as a result of it. Anyway...

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
  That mark our place; and in the sky
  The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead.   Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
  Loved and were loved, and now we lie
      In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
  The torch; be yours to hold it high.
  If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
      In Flanders fields.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #49 on: Monday 15 October 2018, 01:16:26 AM »
The poppy, for me, is in remembrance of the people who dropped everything, that they might sacrifice their lives in defence of their homeland.