Author Topic: Fabian Schär  (Read 70623 times)

Offline STM

• General Member
Re: Fabian Schär set for medical at NUFC
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 02:03:35 PM »
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 02:06:17 PM »
More than likely going to start the season in the team. Let’s hope he’s decent.
?s=21

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
Depth. woo. Now what about the first team?

Howaythetoon

« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 02:16:33 PM »
I don’t mind signings like thisunder certain cirumstaces, but he’s only coming because he’s cheap, had a release clause and not to strengthen the first-team which is where we need to focus on. Rafa is clearly working from the same list last season which we were successful working from with Joselu and now this fella. Happy days...

Offline Disco

• Newcastle
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 02:19:42 PM »
He will fill a Marc Hottiger sized hole in my bosom.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 02:20:15 PM »
I don’t mind signings like thisunder certain cirumstaces, but he’s only coming because he’s cheap, had a release clause and not to strengthen the first-team which is where we need to focus on. Rafa is clearly working from the same list last season which we were successful working from with Joselu and now this fella. Happy days...

Not sure what sort of CB we were expecting mind. It was always going to be someone like this to replace a 4th choice defender. It’s not a Cabaye out/Colback in situation. Unless Lascelles goes...then it’s a Cabaye out/Colback in situation.
?s=21

Howaythetoon

« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 02:23:34 PM »

Not sure what sort of CB we were expecting mind. It was always going to be someone like this to replace a 4th choice defender. It’s not a Cabaye out/Colback in situation. Unless Lascelles goes...then it’s a Cabaye out/Colback in situation.

It is or was our least weakest area, but with Mbemba moving on we know Rafa likes to have cover for every position. Anything over the cost of what we got for Mbemba and he wouldn’t be arriving. Basically just a continuation of our ridiculous transfer policy and t constraints in which Rafa has to work under when it comes to money to spend on he team.

Offline Mr Logic

• Lord of the pikeys
  • General Member
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 02:36:35 PM »
Obviously improves the team because he's just turned three CB's into 4 CB's in contention. He has more positional awareness than Mbemba and better in the air. I was impressed with him in the World Cup, one of the reasons Switzerland were not so easy to beat. May prove to be the best passer from the back.

We will see in time..
A life spent in fear is a life half lived.

firetotheworks

« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
Under normal circumstances I'd probably be fine with this transfer, but really it's just merely a coincidence that our pathetic box ticking approach to transfer fees has come up with a player that might be okay.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 02:52:51 PM »
Depth. woo. Now what about the first team?
This is it, we've basically shuffled the pack with some of our backup making money while we've done it. Pricks will pretend that's progress rather moving around not standing still.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline jackyboy

• General Member
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 03:05:02 PM »
I really can't understand why people are worried considering the way we are plunging into the transfer market. That £125 mill will be gone in no time
I went out with a girl once and she asked me to kiss her where it was wet and smelly...........So I took her to Middlesbrough

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 03:07:41 PM »
Ciaran is now 4th choice centre back, so that's great news imo.

Now to replace Merino and we're done*

*ignoring the glaringly obvious huge gaps in the squad and first team, without even mentioning a striker or number 10.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 03:09:39 PM »
We've gone from years of needing a striker and a left back to just needing a striker. Progress.

firetotheworks

« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 03:16:30 PM »
I feel like we've needed a number 10 for at least 5 years.

Offline Tsunami

• General Member
  • Ashley Out
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 03:19:28 PM »
Why do I feel that Mike has sanctioned this rubbing his hands at the profit to be made on Lascelles and indeed this lad in a couple of years time?

Online Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 03:20:47 PM »
Strikers don't like him, rock Fabian Schär, rock Fabian Schär.
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline Nobody

• That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 03:58:51 PM »
Strikers and number 10s costs money though.

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 05:31:23 PM »
Feels like we rarely have a genuine number 10. De Jong was always injured, Nolan was good and Cabaye often played centre mid. Probably forgetting someone obvious

Offline MagMal

« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 05:43:46 PM »
Peter Beardsley was the last decent number 10 we had, how bad is that, he has retired and moved onto bullying kids and we still haven't replaced him, not sure if we can blame that on the fat one, but I will.

Offline geordiedean

• General Member
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 05:46:45 PM »
Peter Beardsley was the last decent number 10 we had, how bad is that, he has retired and moved onto bullying kids and we still haven't replaced him, not sure if we can blame that on the fat one, but I will.

Craig Bellamy operated the role very well
and now Tudor's gone down for Newcastle

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 05:47:22 PM »

Remember when we had loads of them?  Mostly s**** like but Marveaux, de Jong, Wijnaldum, Ayoze, etc.

Halcyon days...

Offline Unlucky Luque

• General Member
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 05:51:35 PM »
I actually watched him quite a bit for Basel in the early 2010s when they had a great young team (Sommer, Shaqiri, Xhaka, Stocker) and was impressed with his bravery and maturity. He may have been vice captain too iirc. No idea what he's been up to since.

Anyway, I remember he reminded me of Stevie Taylor. Take of that what you will  :saylor:

Offline MagMal

« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 05:55:25 PM »

Craig Bellamy operated the role very well

O0

firetotheworks

« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 06:17:51 PM »
The obvious answer is HBA but he wasn't played there enough for it to work and he was already s*** hot on the right. The last time we regularly played anyone who played that role at all before Perez was probably Beardsley tbh.

Offline taxfree

• General Member
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 06:20:14 PM »
Decent signing this for the money. Very good in the air.