Author Topic: Film You Recently Watched  (Read 85911 times)

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
Re: Film You Recently Watched
« Reply #1000 on: Friday 29 March 2019, 03:28:43 PM »
Yous laugh but I've been stuck in the cinema since 2011 as there was absolutely no way of telling whether the Tree Of Life had ended.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Buttguy for prez
« Reply #1001 on: Friday 29 March 2019, 03:38:02 PM »
My TV's been on HBO ever since the cable went out during The Sopranos.
If you're bored when you're alone, you're in bad company.

Online LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #1002 on: Saturday 30 March 2019, 11:12:02 PM »
I've noticed the amount of smoking in films and TV seems to have increased. Anything set in the past, they seem to have everyone lighting up as if to prove it's the past. Maybe a lot more people smoked in the past but would anyone even notice if there was no smoking in these films and TV? Examples off the top of my head are 'Peaky Blinders', 'True Detective' season 3 and pretty much any film set in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out that cigarette companies were paying the film makers (which isn't allowed).
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Buttguy for prez
« Reply #1003 on: Saturday 30 March 2019, 11:36:59 PM »
They are. It's not secret. They're just not "paying for advertisment", sneaky loophole that I absolutely love.

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #1004 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 12:18:08 AM »
How often are actors smoking actual cigarettes?

Online LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #1005 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 09:23:37 AM »
Well I know Cillian Murphy smokes herbal cigarettes in 'Peaky Blinders' as I read an article which mentioned it. He's a non smoker.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/peaky-blinders-cillian-murphy-has-smoked-over-3000-herbal-cigarettes-playing-tommy-shelby-a7000006.html

I find it really jarring and obvious when these characters go through the cigarette lighting and smoking routine (often chainsmoking). There's no narrative need for it. If someone watches film/TV I doubt anyone would question the authenticity of a time period it's set in because everyone isn't smoking.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Buttguy for prez
« Reply #1006 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 12:27:04 PM »

Essentially never as you do tons of takes.

Offline BottledDog

• General Member
« Reply #1007 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 12:47:34 PM »

Essentially never as you do tons of takes.

The last 2 plays I've been to have both had actors smoking on stage after not seeing it for a while. Love that they give a warning before the play starts.
"Newcastle is a strange club and I don't know what else you can say about them" - Ferguson.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #1008 on: Tuesday 2 April 2019, 04:31:14 PM »
Well I know Cillian Murphy smokes herbal cigarettes in 'Peaky Blinders' as I read an article which mentioned it. He's a non smoker.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/peaky-blinders-cillian-murphy-has-smoked-over-3000-herbal-cigarettes-playing-tommy-shelby-a7000006.html

I find it really jarring and obvious when these characters go through the cigarette lighting and smoking routine (often chainsmoking). There's no narrative need for it. If someone watches film/TV I doubt anyone would question the authenticity of a time period it's set in because everyone isn't smoking.

There's no narrative need for most elements of a set or costume or anything that places you at a certain time/era, but it's all there to set the scene. People like things like that, I definitely do.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline shakey jake

• General Member
« Reply #1009 on: Tuesday 2 April 2019, 06:13:11 PM »
I saw Us three nights ago and I still don’t know if it was any good. The family didn’t seem to be that creeped out by the fact they’re being chased by people with the exact same face as them. Great use of 5 on it though.

Online LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #1010 on: Tuesday 2 April 2019, 08:41:50 PM »

There's no narrative need for most elements of a set or costume or anything that places you at a certain time/era, but it's all there to set the scene. People like things like that, I definitely do.
Everyone smoking in period pieces is bollocks though. Not everyone did smoke. Actual films made in the 1970s don't have every character smoking. Off the top of my head I don't recall any smoking in the Dirty Harry films. If they made a film now set in the 1970s they'd have everyone smoking. There's no smoking in the Indiana Jones films. They're set in the 1930s and 1940s. My point was the smoking in modern TV/films is unnecessary (apart from getting funding from cigarette firms) and they seem to glamourise it by having the main characters spend time going through the whole light up and 'enjoy' process.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1011 on: Tuesday 2 April 2019, 10:22:14 PM »

Everyone smoking in period pieces is bollocks though. Not everyone did smoke. Actual films made in the 1970s don't have every character smoking. Off the top of my head I don't recall any smoking in the Dirty Harry films. If they made a film now set in the 1970s they'd have everyone smoking. There's no smoking in the Indiana Jones films. They're set in the 1930s and 1940s. My point was the smoking in modern TV/films is unnecessary (apart from getting funding from cigarette firms) and they seem to glamourise it by having the main characters spend time going through the whole light up and 'enjoy' process.

The only reason for it. I remember when I was a hard lad (3 lighters a day), they were trying to ban smoking in films and on TV, and I opposed it, on artistic grounds. f***ing mental. I also thought banning it in public was a bad idea.

Online Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #1012 on: Wednesday 3 April 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
The Girl in the Spider's Web managed to sneak out without much noise last year. It's a bit of a mess really. 4th one of the series (the first not based on a Stieg Larsson book) and completely recast a 3rd time.

It's got some names in it (Claire Foy, LaKeith Stanfield and Stephen Merchant) and just feels so disconnected from the others. It's essentially just turned into a female Jason Bourne/James Bond film. There's a bit where Lisbeth has been drugged and beaten a minute earlier yet manages to get into a car, drive at high speed, off road, while holding a phone and in 2 taps on the screen it brings up a security camera video, rewinds, zooms in on a number plate, looks up the plate then tracks it in real time using traffic cameras for her. The whole thing is littered with insanely convenient technology and geography. The ending just takes the p*ss too.

Anyone who's a fan of the Dragon Tattoo stuff should avoid this.

Online LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #1013 on: Wednesday 3 April 2019, 11:52:21 AM »
'Tag'
I didn't laugh once. I really should give up on American 'comedy' films.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #1014 on: Wednesday 3 April 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
Watched Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, it was a decent little watch. Carell and Knightley, what's not to like.

Offline tmonkey

• General Member
« Reply #1015 on: Sunday 7 April 2019, 07:51:03 PM »
Us.

Nowhere near as good as 'Get Out'. Daft movie that made little sense at times, had a few OK'ish bits and well acted I suppose, but still meh. Peele trying way too hard with the "lets take an analogy and make a psychological horror out of it" spiel. 3.5/10

Offline Norseman

• General Member
« Reply #1016 on: Monday 8 April 2019, 12:53:22 AM »
Shazam!

Thoughts:
 1. It was actually a really good movie.
 2. Zachary Levi was great.
 3. I hope it gets a sequel.

It was also easily the best DCEU movie so far IMO.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • Only $50 pm
« Reply #1017 on: Monday 8 April 2019, 03:17:41 AM »
On The Basis of Sex

disturbing lack of nudity

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #1018 on: Sunday 14 April 2019, 10:55:02 PM »
Pulp Fiction with girl 2.

The Male rape scene was a little more hard to explain than I was expecting.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #1019 on: Monday 15 April 2019, 01:45:50 PM »
Free Solo...
My palms are still sweating.

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #1020 on: Monday 15 April 2019, 02:10:22 PM »
Free Solo...
My palms are still sweating.

Right? He’s insane. Excellent documentary.

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #1021 on: Monday 15 April 2019, 02:26:47 PM »
Aye, watched that. He's clearly suicidal though. He's no interest in stopping, which means he will die eventually.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #1022 on: Monday 15 April 2019, 09:49:24 PM »
He basically told his lass that she comes second fiddle to climbing.

Offline steve_69

• General Member
« Reply #1023 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 05:17:22 PM »

He went massively up in my estimation after that point  :lol:

Offline Bimpy474

• General Member
« Reply #1024 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 05:34:33 PM »

He went massively up in my estimation after that point  :lol:

Aye about 4,000 feet.