Author Topic: Film You Recently Watched  (Read 84307 times)

SteDE and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mike

• General Member
Re: Film You Recently Watched
« Reply #850 on: Friday 22 February 2019, 06:18:29 PM »
Mike's just made me realise why I've always found a perplexing sort of resemblance between my dad and Arnold Schwarzenegger, even though they couldn't look more different. I watched T2 so much as a kid that I basically assumed the role of John Connor and the dying dad emotion has somehow always pervaded. It makes so much sense but I never joined the dots until now. Thanks, Mike.

:lol: Always a pleasure, York. I don't think your experience is uncommon. They go well out of their way to make Arnold a surrogate dad for the kid. Watching them both essentially for the first time back to back is jarring. T2 is pretty much a comedy in comparison.

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
« Reply #851 on: Friday 22 February 2019, 06:22:09 PM »
she waxes poetic about it specifically so thick gunts get the picture

Watching John with the machine, it was suddenly so clear. The Terminator would never stop. It would never leave him. It would never hurt him, never shout at him, or get drunk and hit him, or say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there. And it would die to protect him. Of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine was the only one that measured up.

Offline thomas

• General Member
« Reply #852 on: Friday 22 February 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
still stewing about this btw

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #853 on: Friday 22 February 2019, 06:24:57 PM »

Watching John with the machine, it was suddenly so clear. The Terminator would never stop. It would never leave him. It would never hurt him, never shout at him, or get drunk and hit him, or say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there. And it would die to protect him. Of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine was the only one that measured up.

:lol: Like I said. They went out of their way.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #854 on: Friday 22 February 2019, 06:26:46 PM »
still stewing about this btw

:lol: I never said it was bad, fwiw.

Nostalgia papers over the cracks, is all. I know for a fact Fist of the North Star is an absolute s**** film but I still love it because of the nostalgia. There's a dramatic scene and monologue at the end that is completely absurd with modern eyes but I'll still watch that and feel down. It's all memories, man.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #855 on: Friday 22 February 2019, 06:27:06 PM »
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #856 on: Friday 22 February 2019, 06:31:01 PM »

Well obvs I'm not blind to the paternal nature of Arnie's character; it's not meant to be subtle. I just didn't realise how much I associated with the leader of the resistance.

Offline thomas

• General Member
« Reply #857 on: Friday 22 February 2019, 06:40:53 PM »

Well obvs I'm not blind to the paternal nature of Arnie's character; it's not meant to be subtle. I just didn't realise how much I associated with the leader of the resistance.
I was just lashing out at Mike tbh :lol:

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #858 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 04:10:21 PM »
6 Years. I wanted to slap the girl character silly.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #859 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 04:17:35 PM »
Venom - This was great.  I f***ing loved it, pretty hilarious.  Not sure if watching these sorts of films with my kid helps though. 
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #860 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 06:53:33 PM »
Venom - This was great. I f***ing loved it, pretty hilarious.  Not sure if watching these sorts of films with my kid helps though. 

:ben:
:kinnear:
:dowie:
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Telling it how it isn't
« Reply #861 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 06:59:38 PM »
Venom - This was great.  I f***ing loved it, pretty hilarious.  Not sure if watching these sorts of films with my kid helps though. 

Just as there are people out there who religiously watched that sitcom Becker, there are those who found this to be good cinema.
Not one of the cool kids, and really insecure about it.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #862 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 07:27:07 PM »
Hang on, I'm not saying it's great cinema. Think it's a good Marvel film though.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Telling it how it isn't
« Reply #863 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:10:08 PM »
Sounds like you think it's good cinema to me then.
Not one of the cool kids, and really insecure about it.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #864 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:12:26 PM »
Venom - This was great. I f***ing loved it, pretty hilarious.  Not sure if watching these sorts of films with my kid helps though. 

:ben:
:kinnear:
:dowie:

f*** off with that reaction, but Aquaman is alright?  :lol:

You people are at it.  It's not great, but it's certainly as good as Aquaman or something.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #865 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:13:25 PM »
Sounds like you think it's good cinema to me then.

Nah, stop it you. :lol:

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #866 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:19:46 PM »
You sod off an all. :lol:

And him.  f***ing T2 average nonsense.  :rant:

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #867 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:34:11 PM »

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #868 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:36:24 PM »

:lol: God damn it, the trap said Mike and I still hum de dummed my dumb ass in.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #869 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:40:00 PM »

It'd been a long day, but we're cool now :bong: :thup:

I did p*ss myself at Venom though. :blush:

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #870 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:41:01 PM »

It'd been a long day, but we're cool now :bong: :thup:

I did p*ss myself at Venom though. :blush:

:lol: tbf I haven't even seen it, it might be good. I just saw an opportunity to be on the other side of this s***. I'm a c***.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #871 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:44:39 PM »
I’ve never seen Terminator. T2 was good, pretty groundbreaking in terms of CGI at the time. One of those I don’t feel the need to watch again. That series isn’t my cup of tea.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #872 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:46:37 PM »
I’ve never seen Terminator. T2 was good, pretty groundbreaking in terms of CGI at the time. One of those I don’t feel the need to watch again. That series isn’t my cup of tea.

I'm in the minority I know but Preditor was Arnies best film
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #873 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:52:24 PM »

Terminator is f***ing miles better. It's right beneath Predator, imo. It's f***ing incredible. It's 80's as f***, but it's fantastic.

It's streaming on Prime, D.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #874 on: Saturday 23 February 2019, 08:56:08 PM »
The amount of times I've got a paper cut and said to any bystander "I ain't got time to bleed"
Mike Ashley stole my 30's