Author Topic: Film You Recently Watched  (Read 177114 times)

Online samptime29

• General Member
  • Come at the King, you better not miss...
Re: Film You Recently Watched
« Reply #4625 on: Monday 4 January 2021, 10:26:29 AM »
Bombshell. Bit slow in parts, and certainly a decent watch. 6/10.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4626 on: Monday 4 January 2021, 10:36:38 AM »
Thought I'd try and churn through some films I should have seen, but have never watched.

Am I missing something with the original Star Wars films?  I appreciate it can be hard to judge a film outside of the context and the time that it was made, but I was so underwhelmed.  And this genuinely isn't meant to be a provocative statement.  Are they objectively really good and I'm just a really bad judge of films?

They're kids' movies.  If they weren't a part of your childhood they won't have the same impact and meaning to you as they do to everyone else.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #4627 on: Monday 4 January 2021, 10:49:56 AM »
Thought I'd try and churn through some films I should have seen, but have never watched.

Am I missing something with the original Star Wars films?  I appreciate it can be hard to judge a film outside of the context and the time that it was made, but I was so underwhelmed.  And this genuinely isn't meant to be a provocative statement.  Are they objectively really good and I'm just a really bad judge of films?

They're kids' movies.  If they weren't a part of your childhood they won't have the same impact and meaning to you as they do to everyone else.
It's also complicated by the fact that they haven't been allowed to age naturally. All we've got is the "special editions" I think they've lost a lot of charm with the changes made. It's crazy I can't watch the originals from my childhood. Imagine any other 70's or 80's classic with CGI pray falls or CGI musical number inserted into them. It's vandalism.
Bearings Straight!

Online samptime29

• General Member
  • Come at the King, you better not miss...
« Reply #4628 on: Wednesday 6 January 2021, 08:32:56 AM »
Widows. Very good, enjoyed it, thought the performances were all good, and the film was directed strongly.

It's one of those films that if you think about it, the next day, it's doesn't really hold up, but "in the moment" it works.

Offline Facundo Ferreyra

• General Member
« Reply #4629 on: Thursday 7 January 2021, 07:49:23 PM »
Armour of God.

Good fun but there are some issues with pacing. Some parts of the film are kinda boring. Excellent action though including an absolutely ridiculous ending. Not Jackie's best, it's certainly no Police Story.

Offline Ben

• General Member
« Reply #4630 on: Saturday 9 January 2021, 04:58:16 PM »
Dead Mans Shoes on Film 4 11pm tonight

Online gbandit

• General Member
  • Brighton
« Reply #4631 on: Saturday 9 January 2021, 05:03:08 PM »
Love Shane Meadows stuff but never seen Dead Mans Shoes, shame I have a toddler

Offline POOT 2.0

• General Member
  • Release notes: Minor improvements and bug fixes!
« Reply #4632 on: Saturday 9 January 2021, 06:32:18 PM »

Make a point to watch it, you won't be let down. One my favourites, so I might be biased :lol:

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #4633 on: Saturday 9 January 2021, 07:04:54 PM »
Great film, one of the best :thup:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #4634 on: Saturday 9 January 2021, 10:32:00 PM »
Tag. Funny in parts but it could have been better. I love the concept and the fact it was based on a true story.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #4635 on: Sunday 10 January 2021, 12:51:10 AM »

Make a point to watch it, you won't be let down. One my favourites, so I might be biased :lol:

Halfway through on film 4+ 1 really enjoying - sound is s**** tho had to put subtitles
Follow me on twitter @tgarve

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #4636 on: Sunday 10 January 2021, 01:48:06 AM »

Halfway through on film 4+ 1 really enjoying - sound is s**** tho had to put subtitles

Good film that was- do you guys have any other suggestions ?
Follow me on twitter @tgarve

Offline Ben

• General Member
« Reply #4637 on: Sunday 10 January 2021, 10:02:20 AM »
I thought The Gentleman was great.

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #4638 on: Sunday 10 January 2021, 10:33:34 AM »
Watched the untouchables last night. Absolutely daft nonsense but such good fun. Connery’s Irishman is amazing.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #4639 on: Sunday 10 January 2021, 02:57:48 PM »
Watched the untouchables last night. Absolutely daft nonsense but such good fun. Connery’s Irishman is amazing.

It’s aged massively and it’s so corny in parts, still a great film though. I can’t believe he won an Oscar for that mind :lol:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Nobody

• General Member
  • That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #4640 on: Sunday 10 January 2021, 10:06:48 PM »
Watched Crawl the other night. Even f***ing worse than expected :lol: Even for a disaster movie, the characters were incredibly one dimensional (if that) and wholly uninteresting. Even the gator effects were s****, it must be one of the easiest animals to animate ffs :lol:

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #4641 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 12:04:14 AM »

It’s aged massively and it’s so corny in parts, still a great film though. I can’t believe he won an Oscar for that mind :lol:

Even at the time everybody was laughing because it was so obviously a Lifetime Achievement one.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Ben

• General Member
« Reply #4642 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 10:07:21 PM »
I'm waiting for Whiskey Galore starting on BBC4 but this daft snooker is still on

Offline LionOfGosforth

• General Member
  • Geordie in NYC
« Reply #4643 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 10:15:02 PM »
Free Solo again for about the 14th time. Absolutely magnificent.

Offline Facundo Ferreyra

• General Member
« Reply #4644 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 11:39:14 PM »
Watched Possum tonight. Proper creepy and unnerving.

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #4645 on: Friday 15 January 2021, 10:39:14 AM »
Free Solo again for about the 14th time. Absolutely magnificent.

Documentary on rock climbing? Yes that was good.

Watched the one about the Paris terror attacks on Netflix, was very good filmed by the Naudet brothers who were the ones who filmed 9/11 as it happened, because they were doing documentary on a fire station in NY.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #4646 on: Friday 15 January 2021, 10:39:48 AM »
If you like a good documentary. Man on Wire is amazing.

Offline LionOfGosforth

• General Member
  • Geordie in NYC
« Reply #4647 on: Friday 15 January 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
If you like a good documentary. Man on Wire is amazing.

100%, superb stuff and the footage of the walk is crazy. More than that, it's the sense of a group of people saying "f*** the rules and legal s*** and inherent danger, we're going to find a way to do this".

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4648 on: Friday 15 January 2021, 09:57:19 PM »
Finally got round to watching Parasite with a bowl of ram-don. It’s reyt good.

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #4649 on: Friday 15 January 2021, 09:58:48 PM »
What did the ram-don think of it?