Author Topic: Film You Recently Watched  (Read 83292 times)

Offline frankpingel

• General Member
Re: Film You Recently Watched
« Reply #2325 on: Monday 20 January 2020, 07:14:07 PM »
Watched 1917 last night, enjoyed it overall but not worthy of all the plaudits in my opinion.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #2326 on: Monday 20 January 2020, 07:20:57 PM »
An episode of band of brothers had more character, depth emotion and sense of theatre in terms of war than 1917 did. It was a decent enough film but not a master piece!
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #2327 on: Monday 20 January 2020, 08:38:37 PM »
It's been highly rated for technical reasons e.g. one "continuous" shot.

I can't say I was bothered about not knowing much about the characters. It is a mission story. Apparently some people didn't like "Dunkirk" as there was no character building.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2328 on: Monday 20 January 2020, 09:22:29 PM »
Parasite.  Seen 8 of the movies nominated for Best Picture now, and this was easily the best.  Went into it knowing nothing, but was gripped for the entire thing.

Offline ponsaelius

• General Member
« Reply #2329 on: Monday 20 January 2020, 10:23:50 PM »
Uncut Gems - A truly horrible viewing experience with one of the most aggravating and outright vile 'protagonists' ever conjured in the history of cinema. Yet, utterly gripping and technically outstanding from start to finish. Absolutely must watch, and probably better so in the cinema if you can catch it that way rather than via Netflix. 8.5/10

1917 - This was a bit disappointing for me. I'm not a huge fan of war films, so I'm probably not the target audience, but nevertheless disappointing. From a cinematic point of view it is absolutely exceptional, and lays bare the absolute horror of war. However, I found the narrative underpinning it all very weak. Particularly the way the Germans were portrayed as either sly, drunk or unable to shoot straight. Weirdly dated in that way and didn't really come across as an anti-war film in the manner it probably should do. 6.5/10

Jojo Rabbit - It is good to see a rare writer/director/actor piece of work. For better or worse this was clearly one person's vision and that is a big positive in my book, although the visual style is obviously massively influenced by Wes Anderson. I found it funny but also emotionally strong. Sam Rockwell as always puts in a very good performance. 7.5/10
Before that why didn't the Wigan fans just walk the the Stewart's, the Stewart's only went up to the touchline, their was a big gap between the end of the Stewart's and the stand they could have walked through.
God man replacement's don't have to 100% of best to 100% of a replacement.
The are both white, both intellects, both middle class, both the typical 'people who would have thought could never do such a thing ', all traits of a Psychopath.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2330 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 02:30:11 AM »
Knives Out was excellent. Daniel Craig played a blinder.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #2331 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 03:31:09 AM »
Deuce too classy to address the elephant in the room. [emoji38]

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2332 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 03:39:27 AM »
:lol: I had it typed out

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #2333 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 04:45:59 AM »
1917 was dope.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2334 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 05:00:25 AM »
Parasite.  Seen 8 of the movies nominated for Best Picture now, and this was easily the best.  Went into it knowing nothing, but was gripped for the entire thing.

Couldn't stop thinking about this, so went and saw it again tonight.  I think it might be one of the best films I've ever seen.  Just watch it, don't read anything about it, just go in blind.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #2335 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 05:06:21 AM »

Couldn't stop thinking about this, so went and saw it again tonight.  I think it might be one of the best films I've ever seen.  Just watch it, don't read anything about it, just go in blind.

I do want to go into it blind, but I do have one question - I hate horror movies and it feels like it might be a horror movie in the vein of like Get Out or something. Please tell me it's not.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2336 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 05:13:32 AM »
It's not a horror movie.  I realise I sound like a t*** and hate myself for saying this, but it transcends genre.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #2337 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 05:15:25 AM »
Word! I just really hate that genre in particular, especially when it's in the ilk of "smart horror" or whatever you want to call the film I referenced.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #2338 on: Wednesday 22 January 2020, 08:20:18 AM »
Delighted to see Bong get so much recognition, strongly suggest people hit his back catalogue starting with Memories of Murder which is awesome.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2339 on: Friday 24 January 2020, 01:40:07 AM »
Delighted to see Bong get so much recognition, strongly suggest people hit his back catalogue starting with Memories of Murder which is awesome.

Only seen two Korean movies in my life, but they were both genuine 10/10s.  Any other recommendations for Korean stuff apart from Bong?

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #2340 on: Friday 24 January 2020, 06:50:00 AM »

Only seen two Korean movies in my life, but they were both genuine 10/10s.  Any other recommendations for Korean stuff apart from Bong?

My 83 year old grandmother is obsessed with Korean movies on Netflix
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #2341 on: Friday 24 January 2020, 07:51:47 AM »

Has she ever seen Audition?
I saw that a while back, and I remember it scared the s*** out of me.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #2342 on: Friday 24 January 2020, 08:01:33 AM »

Mike currently doing the half your age plus 7 equation to see if it's viable.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #2343 on: Friday 24 January 2020, 08:27:55 AM »

Anything with Ma Dong-seok especially the outlaws

All the Bong films obviously

Sympathy movies, oldboy, I saw the devil, man from nowhere, chaser, wailing, thirst, shiri, burning, bittersweet life, train to Busan

Enough to get you going there I reckon

@Mike can probs add to that

So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #2344 on: Friday 24 January 2020, 03:21:43 PM »
Nailed it, imo. I've fallen off massively.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #2345 on: Friday 24 January 2020, 03:23:21 PM »
Parasite's on in London from 3 Feb, will go.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2346 on: Friday 24 January 2020, 04:03:53 PM »
I watched Snowpiercer last night.  Was expecting it all to be in Korean, so was surprised to find it was full of the likes of Captain America, the Elephant Man and Spud.  Curious how the tv series is going to work.

Offline Nobody

• General Member
  • That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #2347 on: Friday 24 January 2020, 11:05:28 PM »
I watched Snowpiercer last night.  Was expecting it all to be in Korean, so was surprised to find it was full of the likes of Captain America, the Elephant Man and Spud.  Curious how the tv series is going to work.
Love that film :thup:

Offline SheikhShearer

• General Member
« Reply #2348 on: Saturday 25 January 2020, 08:37:17 AM »
Caught the Cineworld Unlimited screening of Parasite last night and my word, it's f***ing brilliant. I knew next to nothing about it and it was all the better for it. Masterful filmmaking.

Offline samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #2349 on: Saturday 25 January 2020, 11:13:59 PM »
1917 at IMAX. Thought it was class. Technically excellent.