Author Topic: Film You Recently Watched  (Read 63935 times)

Offline Tyne81

• General Member
Re: Film You Recently Watched
« Reply #1850 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 08:17:11 AM »
Watching ID, 80s English footy hoolie film, easily the best on the subject for me followed by the original The Firm. Not that the competition is up to much mind!

Football Factory for me. Probably rightly labelled as a bit charvarish but football hooligans are. Also thought the director of that did a decent remake of The Firm but probably because of my clothes fetish 😂 Can't remember the name of it but there was a Scouse one set in the 80's which was good and actually had a decent storyline and soundtrack. Pretty sure it had a homosexual underlying theme to it.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1851 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 12:54:07 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opinion/martin-scorsese-marvel.html

Some s**** about subscriptions

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/movies/martin-scorsese-i-said-marvel-movies-arent-cinema-let-me-explain/ar-AAJSRMA?MSCC=1572958016&ocid=spartandhp

"What’s not there is revelation, mystery or genuine emotional danger. Nothing is at risk. The pictures are made to satisfy a specific set of demands, and they are designed as variations on a finite number of themes."

Sounds like Westworld's Man in Black complaining about his chosen source of entertainment.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #1852 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 01:32:10 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opinion/martin-scorsese-marvel.html

Some s**** about subscriptions

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/movies/martin-scorsese-i-said-marvel-movies-arent-cinema-let-me-explain/ar-AAJSRMA?MSCC=1572958016&ocid=spartandhp

"What’s not there is revelation, mystery or genuine emotional danger. Nothing is at risk. The pictures are made to satisfy a specific set of demands, and they are designed as variations on a finite number of themes."

Sounds like Westworld's Man in Black complaining about his chosen source of entertainment.

Sounds like every prequel ever made.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #1853 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 01:42:45 PM »
Scorsese talking a wild amount of s****. Needs to reign in it. :lol:

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #1854 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 01:55:21 PM »
Scorsese talking a wild amount of s****. Needs to reign in it. :lol:

Reign in it :lol:
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #1855 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 01:56:19 PM »
Saw Joker last week, thought it was okay. Certainly good for a superhero film.

I thought the mental health elements were pretty clunky rather than revelatory, his stupid handwriting and the bit where they walked you through the scenes with the lass next door were painful. The final 30 minutes were tense and entertaining, but the first hour was quite laboured.

7/10

There can be more than one purpose to a scene. Maybe the point of those scenes was more to confirm what was reality, than what was fantasy.

Nah, it was just crap.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #1856 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 09:44:12 PM »
Guys...

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #1857 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 09:44:26 PM »
... it wasn't bad.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #1858 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 09:45:00 PM »
T:DF wasn't bad!!

Offline Nobody

• General Member
  • That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #1859 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 11:07:35 PM »
Guys...
... it wasn't bad.
Thing is though, does it even matter at this point? The Terminator franchise is dead to me, you can't keep making the same (s***) film over and over, and if you manage to finally make another decent one and expect to have me back.
Maybe, just maybe, if it was Mad Max style, unmissable masterpiece I'd consider it, but they have to do a hell of a lot better than just good.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #1860 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 11:15:14 PM »
That's how I felt too. Enjoyed it, but now amazed. Solid c+
Bearings Straight!

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #1861 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 11:23:12 PM »
dolemite excellent
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #1862 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 11:23:48 PM »
I'm a bit conflicted, really. There's no reason why they can't use the universe to create a genuinely compelling and original story that isn't totally self-aware and doesn't pilfer the originals... meanwhile there's a couple of things in the plot which are lazy and serve as an absolutely ginormous slap in the face... and the plane action sequence felt very Marvel and unrealistic, which is always a pity... and it goes without saying that it was totally corrupted by gender politics like every other blockbuster...

But as a self-contained action movie I did enjoy it. Hamilton was good (without a great deal to work with script-wise) and Arnie was class too (they really nailed the humour this time, unlike the clown they turned him into in Genisys). The villain was good too; a lot more menacing than the trailers would have you believe.

I can't argue with the dozens of legitimate criticisms that will be out there about the film, but ultimately it felt like a truer sequel than any of the others imo.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #1863 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 11:26:02 PM »
I just think the Terminator films are the biggest missed opportunity going. Great idea, really scary bad guys, topical stuff about AI, the films should be class.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #1864 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 11:27:56 PM »
I'm a bit conflicted, really. There's no reason why they can't use the universe to create a genuinely compelling and original story that isn't totally self-aware and doesn't pilfer the originals... meanwhile there's a couple of things in the plot which are lazy and serve as an absolutely ginormous slap in the face... and the plane action sequence felt very Marvel and unrealistic, which is always a pity...

But as a self-contained action movie I enjoyed it. Hamilton was good (without a great deal to work with script-wise) and Arnie was class too (they really nailed the humour this time, unlike the clown they turned him into in Genisys). The villain was good too; a lot more menacing than the trailers would have you believe.

I can't argue with the dozens of legitimate criticisms that will be out there about the film, but ultimately it felt like a truer sequel than any of the others imo.

honestly failed to see how/why it was better than anything else (not genisys obvs)

they need to strip it back and make a T1 style simple film somehow, all this f***ing nonsense about new terminators...splitting in 2 and s***, get to f***

they were infiltration units, finally bury arnie and actually have something where the infiltrate or whatever

imo T3 made more sense than this plot-wise, it always has tbh, it just wasn't a very well excuted film but the actual plot of T3 rounded off the trilogy very well for me and they should have ended it there

alas
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #1865 on: Tuesday 5 November 2019, 11:38:50 PM »
dolemite excellent
Yeah it put a smile on my face.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #1866 on: Wednesday 6 November 2019, 12:29:08 AM »
Watched 'The King' on Netflix, wow, was so looking forward to this, but the total betrayal of actual historic accuracy and even to Shakespeare's great book is bewildering. Total dud and Timothée Chalamet's woeful performance as Henry certainly doesn't give me confidence in another remake he is to be the star, Dune, which I had on my list

Disappointing to hear. I’ve been looking forward to watching it.

Watched this last night. As a film it was fine I thought, though I know f*** all of the history nor have I read the play.

I actually liked Chalamet’s performance...Bobby Pattinson was comically OTT as the French lad, though I think that was also the point.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #1867 on: Wednesday 6 November 2019, 03:51:32 PM »
Watching ID, 80s English footy hoolie film, easily the best on the subject for me followed by the original The Firm. Not that the competition is up to much mind!

Football Factory for me. Probably rightly labelled as a bit charvarish but football hooligans are. Also thought the director of that did a decent remake of The Firm but probably because of my clothes fetish 😂 Can't remember the name of it but there was a Scouse one set in the 80's which was good and actually had a decent storyline and soundtrack. Pretty sure it had a homosexual underlying theme to it.

Thought FF was s*** myself, but entertaining I suppose!

Watched Adam & Paul last night about two Irish junkies and then My Name Is Joe, about anScottish alcoholic, both depressing as f***, but good watches!
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1868 on: Wednesday 6 November 2019, 04:20:15 PM »

Thought FF was s*** myself, but entertaining I suppose!

Watched Adam & Paul last night about two Irish junkies and then My Name Is Joe, about anScottish alcoholic, both depressing as f***, but good watches!

'My name is Joe'', is that Robert Carlyle?

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #1869 on: Wednesday 6 November 2019, 05:06:08 PM »
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1870 on: Wednesday 6 November 2019, 08:08:01 PM »
Nah, https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0611932/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

Ah. Looking after Jo-Jo is what I was thinking. Same time, trainspotting actor.

Offline Lush Vlad

• General Member
  • Vlad The Impaler (Nath)
« Reply #1871 on: Friday 8 November 2019, 02:48:49 PM »

I know he's got his quirks and his foibles - his attachment to Genisys a particular disgrace - but I do adore the guy. Definitely my first ever non-footballing hero.

Yes.  My first ever hero, full stop.  :smitten:

I read his book and it was actually really good.  Even though he has twisted a lot and missed a lot, I'm sure. 

Perhaps he has mellowed in his old age.  But a lot of his views I even agree with now.  Going from what I read, his politics were never particularly extreme, anyway. 

He is basically the only celebrity that can do no wrong in my eyes.  I'm happy to ignore all his flaws :lol:

Offline Lush Vlad

• General Member
  • Vlad The Impaler (Nath)
« Reply #1872 on: Saturday 9 November 2019, 07:49:41 AM »
Zombieland 2 - not as good as the first. But still funny and enjoyable. Harrelson is boss.

Terminator - Dark Fate - I actually quite liked this. They got the balance wrong at times with the ‘humour’ but some funny bits, great action sequences and the bad guy was really impressive, I thought. T-800 was closer to his old self. A couple of the action scenes towards the end were a bit naff and I’m not sure the lead actresses were much good. But enjoyable and far better than the last two.

It’s such a shame they got Salvation so wrong. That future world always looks so interesting as a story and movie. But they butchered it, badly.

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #1873 on: Monday 11 November 2019, 10:34:18 AM »
Joker. A good film with an excellent performance from Joaquin. Really effective use of violence in the film too. Soundtrack was pretty decent though slightly surprised to see Gary Glitter feature. Apparently he receives no Royalties for the use of his song in the film but still.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1874 on: Monday 11 November 2019, 10:46:06 AM »
Joker. A good film with an excellent performance from Joaquin. Really effective use of violence in the film too. Soundtrack was pretty decent though slightly surprised to see Gary Glitter feature. Apparently he receives no Royalties for the use of his song in the film but still.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]