Author Topic: Sean Longstaff  (Read 93278 times)

JToon7 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
Re: Sean Longstaff
« Reply #1725 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 12:49:42 PM »
There are so many possible factors at work here. There's more pressure on him to perform, following the Man U interest, opposition players are wise to him now, and he probably feels a greater sense of responsibility. Second season syndrome, basically. The sending off may also have inhibited him (his tackling looks a bit tentative now), and he's had a significant injury.

On a personal level, he's also seen his younger brother and rival for a place emerge into the picture, and on occasion, outshine him. I think he's also moved out of the family home, which of course is a major life-change.

Everyone dreams of being a sporting star, thinking it must be a great life. But there's plenty of evidence of the pressure and isolation that come in the wake of success, and he has to find the strength to deal with it.

Does the club employ a sports psychologist? I think he could benefit from some help from that direction.

I suspect that Bruce is loath to harm his confidence by demoting him to the Under 23's, particularly with his younger brother continuing in the first team.

The players are free to have a chat with the girl in the ticket office.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1726 on: Tuesday 28 January 2020, 12:53:50 PM »
I think most are missing the obvious point that he has gone from a world class manager coaching him to a dinosaur and he is struggling with that.

I don't think anyone are missing that point, which is why he has had a fairly easy ride so far without much criticism. He's young in terms of premier league games played, but at 22 he's not young in footballing terms. To some degree I feel like the things he did really well last season shouldn't be affected by the system/tactics. He looks slower, incapable of creating space for himself with the ball and doesn't pass the ball with the same accuracy and confidence. Don't think I've seen one attempted cross field pass from him this season - he had a couple of great ones last season. I doubt Bruce has specifically asked him not to attempt one. I hope it's just a dip in form/confidence but that hope gets slimmer every match he plays.

22 is young regardless of anything. If he'd started playing (regularly) at 17 he would have had these problems at 18. He's still young enough to make up the difference, he just has less time. And every minute wasted under the coaching of Bruce is a travesty.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #1727 on: Wednesday 29 January 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
I think most are missing the obvious point that he has gone from a world class manager coaching him to a dinosaur and he is struggling with that.

I don't think anyone are missing that point, which is why he has had a fairly easy ride so far without much criticism. He's young in terms of premier league games played, but at 22 he's not young in footballing terms. To some degree I feel like the things he did really well last season shouldn't be affected by the system/tactics. He looks slower, incapable of creating space for himself with the ball and doesn't pass the ball with the same accuracy and confidence. Don't think I've seen one attempted cross field pass from him this season - he had a couple of great ones last season. I doubt Bruce has specifically asked him not to attempt one. I hope it's just a dip in form/confidence but that hope gets slimmer every match he plays.

22 is young regardless of anything. If he'd started playing (regularly) at 17 he would have had these problems at 18. He's still young enough to make up the difference, he just has less time. And every minute wasted under the coaching of Bruce is a travesty.

He’s had the benefit of a couple of good loan moves that some of our kids don’t get the benefit of too don’t forget.
?s=21

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #1728 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 08:26:01 PM »
Hope that kicks him up the arse.
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Offline Collage

• General Member
« Reply #1729 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 08:39:14 PM »
Good to hear that he got a goal. I’m a fan of his.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #1730 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 08:41:34 PM »
Great assist too

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #1731 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 08:54:45 PM »
Goal aside, he’s been s*** in that first half.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 09:04:47 PM by Stifleaay »

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
  • The Dirty Pitchers
« Reply #1732 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 08:55:22 PM »
Goal aside, he’s been shot in that first half.

Eh?

Offline sh74

• General Member
« Reply #1733 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 08:59:42 PM »
Harsh.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #1734 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 11:31:55 PM »
Much better. When we have those three at the back, can he not push on further up the pitch like that even in a two?
?s=21

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #1735 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 11:33:10 PM »
Much better. When we have those three at the back, can he not push on further up the pitch like that even in a two?

If Bruce plays any version of that in the PL we'll be butchered.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Big Geordie

• General Member
« Reply #1736 on: Tuesday 4 February 2020, 11:42:07 PM »
Did well tonight, I thought :thup:
The truth points to itself

Offline Odear

• Photoshop Pro
  • General Member
  • Resident Sociopath
« Reply #1737 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 12:17:16 AM »
Was good tonight. He’s not quite quick enough to play that far forward role at PL level but it could benefit to push him further up than he has been playing.

Quality of the opposition has to be a factor.

His brother was poor tonight though. Lost the ball too much.
Minge Tingles

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #1738 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 02:05:28 AM »
He’s got a right canon shot on him. Needs to get more chances to do that.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Online David Edgar

• General Member
  • But it is what it is.
« Reply #1739 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 05:45:46 AM »

If Bruce plays any version of that in the PL we'll be butchered.

Absolutely.

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #1740 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 03:05:33 PM »
Love that he and Matty can strike a ball with real pace and accuracy.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #1741 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 04:54:53 PM »
Love that he and Matty can strike a ball with real pace and accuracy.

Matty has the look of Scholes about him to me. Not likely to ever be as good but if he plays his cards right he could easily be a double figure scoring CM in the PL.

Sean less so, though it's hard to judge atm given the season he's had. Last year you'd say the same.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #1742 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 05:01:21 PM »
I think both long-term will never be really good enough, although right now for this current team they are/will be. Cracking strike mind last night and I think of the two, Sean needs a proper coach helping him the most to remain at this level or without, end up a League One or Championship player. Whereas his brother seems to be a player in the mould of Ritchie who because he’s busy and has lots of energy and work-rate etc he’ll probably have a more decent career being that kind of player for shitty teams like ours well coached or not. I’m delighted they seem to be doing so well or rather well enough, however, as young Geordie lads living the dream so to speak.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline La Parka

• Not Leeds Mag
  • General Member
  • Up the rail!
« Reply #1743 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 05:13:16 PM »
Our shape looked a lot better last night til Joelinton went off. The front 3 had more support and Bentaleb looks to pass forward which is nice. Long staff looked strong in the first half, second half it went to s*** with no striker.

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #1744 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 06:27:35 PM »
Imagine Matty and Sean under Rafa's tutelage this season.

Offline La Parka

• Not Leeds Mag
  • General Member
  • Up the rail!
« Reply #1745 on: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 07:15:39 PM »
Maybe he's got potential to play the role. Nolan did alright despite his physical limitations.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #1746 on: Saturday 22 February 2020, 04:52:10 PM »
Absolute rubbish

Offline steve_69

• General Member
« Reply #1747 on: Saturday 22 February 2020, 04:55:17 PM »
Looked loads better in a more advanced role, albeit against Oxford. He’s had a w*** game today though. Offers absolutely nothing in any aspect of the game.

Offline Amir_9

• General Member
« Reply #1748 on: Saturday 22 February 2020, 04:56:43 PM »
Would argue that was his worst game for us today. Bench time needed because hes just not upto it. Gives the ball very cheaply, gives away fouls and too casual in midfield with zero influence on attack.

Offline St1pe

• General Member
« Reply #1749 on: Saturday 22 February 2020, 05:07:08 PM »
He needs a coach. You can see the difference a mile off. Young players can't be told to just go out and do what they want.