Author Topic: MACBOOK HELP PLS  (Read 265 times)

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
MACBOOK HELP PLS
« on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 05:30:59 pm »
Anyone IT savvy pls advise. My Macbook keeps freezing and having to force it to shut down. Ran Drive DX to check for any issues, this is what came back:

What can I do to fix these. I already use it on a stand, and the HD is like a month old.
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
It ' time to market and the charm of the enfant terrible , back in fashion . No one wants it , but all seek him . Ben Arfa needs of the spotlight . The field as a film set , the prowess to restart combustion processes of his falling star . To become , finally , Hatem Ben Arfa , a child prodigy .

Online SEMTEX

• General Member
  • get f***ing set
Re: MACBOOK HELP PLS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 06:29:24 pm »
Is the drive an SSD? If the freezes are actually caused by the drive, then there's not much you can do tbh. RMA the drive and get it replaced.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 06:34:11 pm »
Is the drive an SSD? If the freezes are actually caused by the drive, then there's not much you can do tbh. RMA the drive and get it replaced.

nah its like a hybrid SSD/HD. I needed a TB space and the SSD's were way more. Might have to just replace it. What about the temp issues? Anything I can do about that, It gets unreasonably hot.
It ' time to market and the charm of the enfant terrible , back in fashion . No one wants it , but all seek him . Ben Arfa needs of the spotlight . The field as a film set , the prowess to restart combustion processes of his falling star . To become , finally , Hatem Ben Arfa , a child prodigy .

Online SEMTEX

• General Member
  • get f***ing set
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 07:01:48 pm »
All you can do on hard drive temperature is ensure the airflow isn't restricted somehow. So opening the case and making sure the fan(s) are all working as desired and not gunked up.

I'm a little confused by the numbers you provided though. "Worst" as 42, yet current is 61? I think you need temps to be in the low 40s, so aye, 61 wouldn't be great.

Not sure if that's the cause of your problems, or that the problems with the drive are causing it to get soopa hot.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 07:02:05 pm »

nah its like a hybrid SSD/HD. I needed a TB space and the SSD's were way more. Might have to just replace it. What about the temp issues? Anything I can do about that, It gets unreasonably hot.

I had temperature issues with mine a while ago. Open up your activity monitor and under CPU see if there's anything unexpected taking up a large percentage. Can sometimes effect fan activity or cause your machine to heat up what seems an unreasonable amount.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 07:20:29 pm »
All you can do on hard drive temperature is ensure the airflow isn't restricted somehow. So opening the case and making sure the fan(s) are all working as desired and not gunked up.

I'm a little confused by the numbers you provided though. "Worst" as 42, yet current is 61? I think you need temps to be in the low 40s, so aye, 61 wouldn't be great.

Not sure if that's the cause of your problems, or that the problems with the drive are causing it to get soopa hot.

Yeah I mean the whole thing is slightly confusing to me, I only DL it on the recommendation of someone, haven't had a chance to check out exactly the breakdown of the way it works. I just went by the low percentage = bad theory.

Yeah I can't tell. Is it worth trying compressed air to blow out the dust? It feels hot a f*** to touch like, really don't wanna do something annoying liek replacing the heat sink, if I don't have to.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 07:21:03 pm »

I had temperature issues with mine a while ago. Open up your activity monitor and under CPU see if there's anything unexpected taking up a large percentage. Can sometimes effect fan activity or cause your machine to heat up what seems an unreasonable amount.

:thup: yeah Chrome is for some reason a total bitch for that, but I tried AM and nothing is jumping out as raping my CPU

Online SEMTEX

• General Member
  • get f***ing set
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 07:23:31 pm »

Yeah I mean the whole thing is slightly confusing to me, I only DL it on the recommendation of someone, haven't had a chance to check out exactly the breakdown of the way it works. I just went by the low percentage = bad theory.

Yeah I can't tell. Is it worth trying compressed air to blow out the dust? It feels hot a f*** to touch like, really don't wanna do something annoying liek replacing the heat sink, if I don't have to.

Yeah just compressed air to make sure there isn't any dust in there. But even this is just a hopeful maintenance thing. I'd expect it to help with overheating CPUs but the HDD should probably never get that high.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 07:29:09 pm »

Yeah just compressed air to make sure there isn't any dust in there. But even this is just a hopeful maintenance thing. I'd expect it to help with overheating CPUs but the HDD should probably never get that high.

Think I'll try that, get a new drive anyway, and see if it makes any difference, if the ifixit guide isn't too disgusting I might even try the heat sink.

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • aka Dr. William Cloaca
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 July 2018, 04:12:12 pm »
"Macs Fan Control" (google it) is also helpful if it starts overheating too soon. I run it on mine. You can lower the temperature at which the fans start kicking in so it doesn't get so hot so soon.

I also used one of these for a while - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MU1ZRS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1