Author Topic: Salomón Rondón  (Read 151320 times)

Online DJ_NUFC

• General Member
Re: Salomón Rondón, named NUFC POTY 18/19, available to buy for £16.5m
« Reply #2500 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 06:57:24 pm »
I wonder if Rondon has a better chance conversion? But, given all that Rondon clearly helps the team function better, leads the line, links up better, has a better touch and brain.

For what it's worth. Mitrovic has an Xg of 15 goals but scored 11. Rondon has an Xg of roughly just under 11. Haven't looked into the detail. Mitro may take a lot of shots from distance which accumulates xg over time. But it suggests when Rondon scores when he's meant too.
Think Mitro took the most shots in the league. He also played the equivalent of 7 and a half more games than Rondon and one of Mitro's was a penalty

Likewise though players that don't tend to play 90 minute have better Xg per 90 minutes. Either because they play less when they're tired (subbed), or play more when they're fresh (coming on).

But aye, that first stat suggests Mitro's Xg is overinflated due to low-quality shots if he's had the most in the league. Rondon is an unselfish player and will play it to a team mate in a better position.

Although it seems obvious, the highest goalscorers do tend to take the most shots per game. Can see Mitro having a year or a purple patch where it all goes in due to shot volume, confidence, luck etc. The Papiss Cisse Effect.

Those six months, man. What I wouldn't give to see another NUFC striker have a magical period like that again. Cisse could've hit the ball from the car park and it would've found the top corner.

Offline Tribesman

• General Member
« Reply #2501 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 08:46:33 pm »
If Rafa signs a new deal and he was allowed to have a modicum of ambition in the market, ideally our 3 options up front would be someone like one of the Frankfurt strikers (Jovic or Haller), Rondon and Gayle.

Even if we had ambition it would be impossible to keep 3 strikers playing for 1 position happy. We should sign Rondon as our main striker, get better back up than Joselu and have Perez or someone else if he is sold as an alternative if injuries become a problem in that position.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #2502 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 08:55:26 pm »
If Rafa signs a new deal and he was allowed to have a modicum of ambition in the market, ideally our 3 options up front would be someone like one of the Frankfurt strikers (Jovic or Haller), Rondon and Gayle.

Even if we had ambition it would be impossible to keep 3 strikers playing for 1 position happy. We should sign Rondon as our main striker, get better back up than Joselu and have Perez or someone else if he is sold as an alternative if injuries become a problem in that position.

Agreed. Ideally that backup/alternative would be someone who is comfortable to play a few positions too, it's why I mentioned Remi Oudin from Reims. Can play up top or inside forward from the right. Tall enough lad as well with a quality free kick on him. £10m or so would do it.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2503 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 11:58:53 pm »
Weirdly for an older player I think Rondon would maintain some value for future sell on. He’s obviously n decent nick and doesn’t have a Rooney esque amount of games in his legs. Reckon even after a couple of seasons the MLS would take him for one of the clubs with a large Venezuelan diaspora in the locale.

Becks chomping at the bit if he can get his turgid Miami team off the ground.

Offline Paully

• General Member
« Reply #2504 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 01:18:39 pm »
Apparently Wolves are in for him

Offline persy

« Reply #2505 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 01:32:52 pm »
It will be a bunch of clubs in for him for that price and the season he just had. But we have the leverage that he actually wants to be here and are settled. But we have a slow 3-year old as an owner. So he will probably end upp somewhere else..

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #2506 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 01:36:53 pm »

Agreed. Ideally that backup/alternative would be someone who is comfortable to play a few positions too, it's why I mentioned Remi Oudin from Reims. Can play up top or inside forward from the right. Tall enough lad as well with a quality free kick on him. £10m or so would do it.

I love Rondon to bits now and a perfect scenario would be him and Rafa getting announced as staying asap, but there's a bit of me thinking that I want us to have a better quality striker than him, who can do the holding up, winning aerial duels et cetera but also can score 15+ goals. Rondon got close admittedly and probably would've got 15+ had lapdog Charnaz signed him earlier in preseason like he should have done to get his match fitness up but I just think we could do better. But better would cost £25m plus and Ashley won't allow that apart from another aberration like Almiron was. Agree with you otherwise.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #2507 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 01:51:00 pm »

They’re not going to play him & Jimenez together. You’d think someone who’d give him regular game time would sign him whether that’s us or someone else.
?s=21

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #2508 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 06:56:55 pm »

They’re not going to play him & Jimenez together. You’d think someone who’d give him regular game time would sign him whether that’s us or someone else.

f***ing stupid Wolves trying to build a squad of different player types.
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Tribesman

• General Member
« Reply #2509 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 07:27:42 pm »

I love Rondon to bits now and a perfect scenario would be him and Rafa getting announced as staying asap, but there's a bit of me thinking that I want us to have a better quality striker than him, who can do the holding up, winning aerial duels et cetera but also can score 15+ goals. Rondon got close admittedly and probably would've got 15+ had lapdog Charnaz signed him earlier in preseason like he should have done to get his match fitness up but I just think we could do better. But better would cost £25m plus and Ashley won't allow that apart from another aberration like Almiron was. Agree with you otherwise.

I kind of agree with that, but ususally players that score over 15 goals a season play for top 6 clubs. Maybe Joelinton could be that alternative. According to the Chronicle a few days ago they mentioned Newcastle and Hoffenheim would be happy paying in instalments.

Offline godzilla

• General Member
« Reply #2510 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 07:37:23 pm »

f***ing stupid Wolves trying to build a squad of different player types.

All depends on what happens with Rafa, if it is positive I think he will sign no problem as he loves it up here, but then again we are subject to Ashley. Think out of any club if he was to go elsewhere, that Everton would best suit him and them.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #2511 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 07:50:56 pm »
Everton, Watford, West Ham, Crystal Palace....he’d stroll into any of those as first choice. If it was those clubs linked I’d be worried because if we p*ss about I could see him there. I just don’t see him going to Wolves.
?s=21

Offline Gallowgate End

• General Member
« Reply #2512 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 07:57:36 pm »

I kind of agree with that, but ususally players that score over 15 goals a season play for top 6 clubs. Maybe Joelinton could be that alternative. According to the Chronicle a few days ago they mentioned Newcastle and Hoffenheim would be happy paying in instalments.

Sebastian Haller would be the most direct young alternative to Rondon.

Joelinton plays a lot coming from wide in the Perez/Almiron positions just a much more physical version.

Not sure how much either would actually cost but I reckon Joelinton would be looked at as a Perez position replacement and Haller a younger alternative to signing Rondon.

Not that Rafa will be allowed to get either of them :lol:

Offline Begbie

• General Member
« Reply #2513 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 08:55:54 pm »

Sebastian Haller would be the most direct young alternative to Rondon.

Joelinton plays a lot coming from wide in the Perez/Almiron positions just a much more physical version.

Not sure how much either would actually cost but I reckon Joelinton would be looked at as a Perez position replacement and Haller a younger alternative to signing Rondon.

Not that Rafa will be allowed to get either of them :lol:

should just sign Haller and Jovic
"Let's hug it out, bitch"

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #2514 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 09:08:24 pm »

I agree. But Rondon will be adequate first choice, if our option from the bench can make up the shortfall. Cheapest option in that respect, is already on our books, Dwight Gayle. I agree with whoever that Gayle won't be happy on the bench. All the better. A fully fit, integrated Rondon from the start of the season will get 12-15 goals, 6 from Gayle (4 more than Joselu) could make a hell of a difference. Not to mention the benefit of having a sub that Rafa wouldn't be afraid to use, to keep Rondon fresh.

Offline taxfree

• General Member
« Reply #2516 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 11:00:59 am »
Yikes. Enjoy that bench, I guess.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #2517 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 11:02:02 am »
It's understood no move is imminent, however, with the players set to explore his options.

???
?s=21

Offline Greg

« Reply #2518 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 11:02:03 am »
Can see that happening, given his age and how we has done this season he will be looking for a big contract.

Offline Dinho lad

• i lov u hatem
  • General Member
« Reply #2519 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 12:29:17 pm »

he owes us f*** all.

Offline Gallowgate End

• General Member
« Reply #2520 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 01:28:57 pm »

Aye Rondon should be absolutely petrified of competing with a striker that has only got 19 goals in over 100 games since playing in Europe.

Lionel Jimenez :laugh:

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #2521 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 01:31:35 pm »
Rondon only has 5 more in a similar timeframe if you’re using that as an argument.
?s=21

Offline taxfree

• General Member
« Reply #2522 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 01:36:10 pm »

Aye Rondon should be absolutely petrified of competing with a striker that has only got 19 goals in over 100 games since playing in Europe.

Lionel Jimenez :laugh:

You've lived under a rock if you think Jimenez won't start come next season.

Offline taxfree

• General Member
« Reply #2523 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 01:39:02 pm »

he owes us f*** all.

Well, not sure about f*** all, but sure. Just think he should have a bit more ambition than to go to a club like Wolverhampton and sit on the bench.

If he get's a long contract he's happy with, then fair enough.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2524 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 01:41:37 pm »
Who says he'll be on the bench?