Author Topic: Salomón Rondón  (Read 94244 times)

lQmmel, Weezertron, Benarfa20, Einsinn and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
  • Rondon ... the Gladiator
Re: Salomón Rondón
« Reply #1675 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 04:31:28 pm »
More mobile than Mitrovic though ...

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #1676 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 04:31:47 pm »
Kaka on a fishing expedition :lol:

Offline TRon

• General Member
« Reply #1677 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 04:49:40 pm »
Don't know where this idea that he was mobile came from, unless it just means he is prepared to run about a bit. He's not quick, and all those hoping match fitness would add a yard must have decided maybe not by now.

Offline Gallowgate Toon

• General Member
« Reply #1678 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:19:05 pm »
Just watch his chance late in the 2nd against Bournemouth - he's got some speed and strength in him.

He isn't very agile but isn't that to be expected? He's a pretty big unit :lol:

Offline TRon

• General Member
« Reply #1679 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 05:25:43 pm »
Anyway, we've been a lot better with him in the side, even if he's not exactly Torres MkII. He holds it up well, got a good header on him, and gives the ball a decent whack when the shooting opportunities arrive. These are all attributes when you think of who he's competing with for the lone striker role.

Offline Dinho lad

• General Member
« Reply #1680 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 07:44:42 pm »
Quality, controlled finish. It wasn't as easy as it looked.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #1681 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 11:08:11 pm »
Anyway, we've been a lot better with him in the side, even if he's not exactly Torres MkII. He holds it up well, got a good header on him, and gives the ball a decent whack when the shooting opportunities arrive. These are all attributes when you think of who he's competing with for the lone striker role.

The ball sticks up top a lot better when Rondon is playing, giving us more of a chance to advance. He does a good job in the role he's given; goals are a bonus really.

But for that to be effective, we need to get more goals from the midfield.
Looking after Charles Freck's artifacts

Offline Twinport53

• General Member
« Reply #1682 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 01:59:44 am »
Step forward Ayoz... Ritc... Kenne... midfield goals are overrated.
Hatem Ben Arfa -
I don't think he would have won us any more points than any of our current players.

After 9 losses and 1 draw in 10 matches under John Carver.

Online xLiaaamx

• General Member
« Reply #1683 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 02:01:52 am »
Step forward Ayoz... Ritc... Kenne... midfield goals are overrated.

Yoshi will sort it. If he ever gets back on the pitch.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #1684 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 08:41:44 pm »
Brilliant all round for the goal.
?s=21

Offline Big Geordie

• General Member
« Reply #1685 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 08:55:26 pm »
Thought he put himself about well today - held up the ball and allowed us to build. Would thrive with better quality around him.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1686 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 09:01:47 pm »
He and Perez are beginning to look good together. Hopefully they can continue to develop that relationship.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #1687 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 09:03:54 pm »
Thought he put himself about well today - held up the ball and allowed us to build. Would thrive with better quality around him.

I didn’t see the game, but having watched him a few times now, all that stuff is good, but he’s doing the simple basics a big mobile strong CF should do.

I’d love to see what he could do if he was playing much further forward, played more in the opposition box and we put in lots of crosses though, because I think we would see the real Rondon, a player we will only see in patches him being utilised in this way.

He’s not wasted here right now because he’s doing the things this team needs which I’ve concluded is something Mitrovic was never going to quite deliver, but he needs to be further forward and receive much better service to thrive himself beyond the basics of good CF play.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline CPL

• General Member
« Reply #1688 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 09:16:00 pm »
I rather he stayed on as Joselu did next to nothing when he came on. Was a beast and held the ball up really well today.

Online Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #1689 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 09:16:53 pm »
He is mint
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #1690 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 11:47:58 pm »
I rather he stayed on as Joselu did next to nothing when he came on. Was a beast and held the ball up really well today.

The role he's playing - with the running and pressing and physically competing - he's just not up to doing it for 90 minutes. You're right though, I think Joselu gave the ball away every time he got it but once.
Looking after Charles Freck's artifacts

Online HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #1691 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 11:56:15 pm »
Agree with Rondon needing to stay on regardless of his fatigue. Bringing Joselu on when we're defending like that is pointless; unless he's getting on the end of a cross in the box, it's like playing with 10 men (or in tonight's case, 9) due to his lack of ability to hold the ball up. So frustrating.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #1692 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 07:58:57 am »
Has a goal or assist every 146 minutes. Get a bit more quality around him in the final third and he’ll do the job.
?s=21

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #1693 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 08:24:51 am »
Aye, he's a good striker and I thought he did really well last night. Had the better of Bennett for the majority of it, held it up well, particularly off the chest, and obviously had a huge part in the goal. Four goals and two assists so far, it's been a positive start for him.

Offline reefatoon

• General Member
« Reply #1694 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 09:15:59 am »
Agree with Rondon needing to stay on regardless of his fatigue. Bringing Joselu on when we're defending like that is pointless; unless he's getting on the end of a cross in the box, it's like playing with 10 men (or in tonight's case, 9) due to his lack of ability to hold the ball up. So frustrating.

A Rondon breathing out of his arse, wearing lead boots, blindfolded and carrying Mike Ashley around on his back for 90 minutes is still a better option than Joselu. Rondon should never be subbed for that useless t***, no matter how f***ed he is. Because when no show gets on the pitch you know any kind of hold up play or threat has completely disappeared.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #1695 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 10:07:26 am »
I did think the sub was a mistake from a fan's point of view, but realistically it works out fine 9 times out of 10. I'm not sure Joselu made any actual difference to the result.

Offline Dinho lad

• General Member
« Reply #1696 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 11:31:30 am »
That free-kick, had it gone in, would have been one of the best free kicks I've seen at SJP - considering the execution technique (side foot, I think), the accuracy and ferocity of the shot was quality.

The goal would have looked lush as f***.

Offline Collage

• General Member
« Reply #1697 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 11:36:06 am »

Increased risk of injury though, which would be a disaster at this point.

Offline The College Dropout

• General Member
  • The Look Of Satisfaction
« Reply #1698 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 11:37:28 am »
I did think the sub was a mistake from a fan's point of view, but realistically it works out fine 9 times out of 10. I'm not sure Joselu made any actual difference to the result.

Everytime Joselu comes on recently, he's done nothing but give the ball away cheaply. Inviting pressure.

Oh and missed a good chance at Burnley.

Offline SteV

• General Member
« Reply #1699 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 12:14:20 pm »

Increased risk of injury though, which would be a disaster at this point.

Exactly. Bringing him off has been the right call. It's just that the subsequent performance of his replacement has made it look otherwise.