Author Topic: Salomón Rondón  (Read 94260 times)

Online dtd

• So55
  • General Member
Salomón Rondón
« on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:18:31 pm »
13 years since we last broke our transfer record, and THIS is the guy we're going to do it with?

RAFA BENITEZ must break Newcastle’s transfer record for hitman Salomon Rondon.

Toon’s boss is ready to pay the West Brom striker’s £16.5million release clause to boost his attack for next term.

That will top the club’s long-standing record fee of £16m they paid for Michael Owen in 2005.

Rondon, 28, who joined the Baggies from Zenit St Petersburg in 2015, has hit 24 goals in 108 league appearances at The Hawthorns.

He is poised to move to the North East after the two clubs made contact last week over a deal.

Rondon is keen to stay in the Premier League following West Brom’s relegation, despite hitting ten goals last season.

Cardiff City are among those also interested in singing Rondon after reaching the Premier League once again.

The Venezuelan has always looked likely to be one of those to leave the Birmingham club after their relegation.

His release clause leaves the Baggies vulnerable to a bid that matches the sum

But it would be decent money to spend on more experienced Championship performers to fire them back to the Premier League - something cross-town rivals Birmingham City and Aston Villa have not managed since dropping into the second tier.
« Last Edit: Saturday 3 November 2018, 04:58:37 pm by Disco »
"What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love." - Sir Bobby Robson

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:20:51 pm »
:rolleyes:

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:26:55 pm »
24 goals in 108 league appearances at The Hawthorns.

Prolific!
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Offline Ketsbaia

• General Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:27:09 pm »
Erghhhh, please no. Seriously.

Online dtd

• So55
  • General Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:28:59 pm »
I figured a thread might jinx the whole thing as per usual.
"What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love." - Sir Bobby Robson

Offline Ketsbaia

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:30:03 pm »

Fingers crossed.

Online sempuki

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:30:51 pm »
Wouldn't mind him if he replaced Gayle but can't see him scoring enough to be the main man up front.

Online HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:31:56 pm »
f***ing hope so.

If he's second choice behind Pléa then I'd be okay with it but f*** off with him being our first choice.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:34:12 pm »
Really don't see the point of replacing a player like Mitro for a player like Mitro albeit more mobile
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:40:54 pm »
f***ing hope so.

If he's second choice behind Pléa then I'd be okay with it but f*** off with him being our first choice.
We're not paying 16.5m for a second choice
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline sbnufc

• General Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:42:43 pm »

Prolific!

Its West Brom though :lol: He's been their top scorer all 3 seasons he's been there, in teams managed by Pulis, Megson and Pardew

He'll probably won't be prolific 25+ per season goalscorer but he's an upgrade on what we have. With some Rafa coaching he'll be decent or less than £20m

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:47:49 pm »

Prolific!

Its West Brom though :lol: He's been their top scorer all 3 seasons he's been there, in teams managed by Pulis, Megson and Pardew

He'll probably won't be prolific 25+ per season goalscorer but he's an upgrade on what we have. With some Rafa coaching he'll be decent or less than £20m

That's a fair point but buying a 28 year old striker, who has a poor record is hardly inspiring stuff

Offline reefatoon

• General Member
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 12:58:27 pm »
It’s not Joselu, so I am pleased.

Offline r0cafella

• General Member
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:08:01 pm »
If we can get a couple of wingers and a number 10 all capable of chipping in goals he will be a good signing imo.

I know ifs, buts and maybes ...
United we stand, divided we fall.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:10:51 pm »
I'd be okay with Rondon. Wouldn't be my first choice, or the most inspiring signing - but I like how he plays; he's more than just a big lump upfront, he can drop in and play a little, bringing others into the game better than any of our current options. I'm also optimistic that Rafa can get his 10 goals last season up to 15 which could prove really important, especially if Perez keeps his form up.
The fear of finding oneself alone - that is what they suffer from - and so they don't find themselves at all. - André Gide

Online Willow

• General Member
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:14:36 pm »
Would be a side-grade in my opinion, so I don't see much sense in this move if it happens. I'd only be happy if he was secondary to another incoming bigger/better striker.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:16:38 pm »
Would be a side-grade in my opinion, so I don't see much sense in this move if it happens. I'd only be happy if he was secondary to another incoming bigger/better striker.

He's better than Gayle & Joselu, no question about it.
The fear of finding oneself alone - that is what they suffer from - and so they don't find themselves at all. - André Gide

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • some kind of genetically engineered super jerk
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:17:02 pm »

Online wormy

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:31:40 pm »
For all of those that are worried, don't be. It says Cardiff are also interested. How can we compete?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:36:08 pm »
 :joey:

Offline Odin

• General Member
  • Resident Sociopath
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:39:05 pm »
In fairness to Joselu, his 4 or 5 goals he scored over the season more than made up for the tiny transfer fee.

He was never lazy or never made an effort for us.. just simply not good enough at this level.

Could we not use him as a makeweight in any deal with a relegated club? He could well do much better in the championship.

Don’t know much about Rondon other than he’s a big strong f***er who caused us problems when we played them. If Rafa wants him than fair enough.
Minge Tingles

Offline KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
  • Rondon ... the Gladiator
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:45:02 pm »
Think he'll be amazing under Rafa.

He's an absolute monster of a centre forward, and he'll get more chances created for him in our team.

Would be happy with this signing for sure.

Offline HawK

• General Member
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:45:39 pm »
Glad the thread was started, will put this to bed once and for all.

Offline SteveMc

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:53:21 pm »
I like him. Under Rafa I think he’ll be an asset

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 8 July 2018, 01:54:52 pm »
Bloody hell, thought all the rumours with this one were because he was available on a free or something.
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.