Poll

Should 'Count Dankula' have been prosecuted under hate crime laws for his video?  Note: Not asking if you think it's funny, that's irrelevant.  

Yes
9 (15%)
No
51 (85%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Free Speech  (Read 29156 times)

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
Re: Free Speech or Not?
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:12:29 pm »
I assumed most had seen it, but here:

Not sure there is a direct link to the original anymore, he probably got banned from YT.

i just found that sad really, i'm not sure what else i'd be able to say about it but i agree with a thing i just read briefly that it's quite clearly a joke and could in no way be seen to be inciting hatred

the lad just comes across as a bit of a t***, again
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:14:02 pm »
Off topic, but I'd be happy to be labeled PC. The people that use the as a pejorative the most are the same ones who have no concept of why it's not a great adea to be total f***ing assholes to marginalized people if the first place.
Another thing that pisses me off, as long as I'm already getting all crotchety, is the way some people rattle on about "freedom of speech" in entirely private contexts, as opposed to when there's government involvement, which is the only time it's a thing.

:thup:

Always gets me that the “anti-PC” types who throw around terms like ‘liberal snowflake’ are also those who scream bloody murder when they’re on the receiving end of even the slightest bit of criticism.
[emoji38] When Trump went on about the theatre being off-limits after Pence was heckled, completely oblivious to the fact he'd just just described a safe space.
Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middle men who didn't do diddely.

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:15:43 pm »
He’s an utter dipshit who deserves to be hounded for that. Insensitive and just unfunny. Criminally prosecuted? Nah.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:16:50 pm »
This whole alt-right and alt-left internet war confuses the hell out of me like. I think I'm alt-Switzerland.

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:17:09 pm »
Why does he deserve to be hounded?

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:18:53 pm »
Off topic, but I'd be happy to be labeled PC. The people that use the as a pejorative the most are the same ones who have no concept of why it's not a great adea to be total f***ing assholes to marginalized people if the first place.
Another thing that pisses me off, as long as I'm already getting all crotchety, is the way some people rattle on about "freedom of speech" in entirely private contexts, as opposed to when there's government involvement, which is the only time it's a thing.

:thup:

Always gets me that the “anti-PC” types who throw around terms like ‘liberal snowflake’ are also those who scream bloody murder when they’re on the receiving end of even the slightest bit of criticism.
[emoji38] When Trump went on about the theatre being off-limits after Pence was heckled, completely oblivious to the fact he'd just just described a safe space.

It’s kicking off this morning after the WH Correspondent’s Dinner last night, conservatives up in arms and demanding apologies. But they would never, ever, apologize for the racism, misogyny, and downright hatefulness that spews forth from the White House on a daily basis.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:19:54 pm »
I assumed most had seen it, but here:
Not sure there is a direct link to the original anymore, he probably got banned from YT.

i just found that sad really, i'm not sure what else i'd be able to say about it but i agree with a thing i just read briefly that it's quite clearly a joke and could in no way be seen to be inciting hatred

the lad just comes across as a bit of a t***, again

He is a total dickhead, aye. :thup:
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:20:35 pm »

Because he’s a dipshit who did something unfunny and yeah, offensive to many people. Let him be skewered in the court of public opinion, just like anyone else trying to make unfunny jokes.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:23:38 pm »

Because he’s a dipshit who did something unfunny and yeah, offensive to many people. Let him be skewered in the court of public opinion, just like anyone else trying to make unfunny jokes.

and when is your court date?  :shifty:

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:24:33 pm »

and when is your court date?  :shifty:

I take my life in my own hands every time I log on.

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:26:57 pm »
Tbh, I've found it more and more funny the more I've seen it p*ss off the divies that we unfortunately have on the left.

I mean it's canny poetic that one of the people most offended and opinionated about it was Graham Linehan. [emoji38]
Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middle men who didn't do diddely.

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:28:15 pm »
Yeah, Linehan disappointed me with his stance.

(Poll added for extra fun)
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:28:55 pm »
Before it devolves into the usual banter between me and Hans about what constitutes offensiveness, I don’t think his life should be ruined because of this nonsense. But he’s got quite the pair of balls if he acts incredulous in the face of deserved and invited criticism.

People not understanding that whatever you put into the public forum is fair game is another headbanger.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:32:29 pm »
Aye, agree with that.  It's just the legal aspect of it. 

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:35:46 pm »
Graham Linehan's completely gone off the deep end like.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:37:41 pm »
It would be forgotten about by now, if it had been left to public opinion, and public opinion was to be trusted. But how can public opinion be trusted if they haven't seen it? It is indeed a paradox.

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:37:55 pm »

It wasn't until it was mentioned on here recently that I was even aware this had gone to court, but I remember seeing the video when it first went viral and thought it was canny funny personally like.

The joke is that his lass loves the dog so he's turning it into a Nazi. Cute pug juxtaposed with Nazism. I think at the time it was just created for his mates too then it went viral (because it was funny).

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:42:09 pm »
It's hard to separate the legal aspect and the 'court of public opinion' though because a large reason why this has led to this point is because we're encouraging people to get massively upset over anything.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:47:50 pm »
by the way that so-called schooling was f***ing s*** as well, it was the equivalent of saying to the bloke "a homo says what" just so he'll say what

woeful

Sleep now in the fire

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:48:46 pm »
by the way that so-called schooling was f***ing s*** as well, it was the equivalent of saying to the bloke "a homo says what" just so he'll say what

woeful

Thank you.

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:51:06 pm »
And a point on this guy and the "he's a dickhead" stuff.

A lot of 'free speech' comes down to how little you care about what people think of you. You can say what you like really, legally, but if you're then hounded by a load of people who believe you're a piece of s*** for saying whatever it is you've said you'd probably be weary of saying it again. I think that's why most who are out shouting from the rooftops about an attack on free speech are the edgy types who like winding people up and have little care for anyone who might think they're t***s.

Nobody ever says what is actually on their mind, we self sensor all the time otherwise we'd be jailed, but most will um and arr over how they phrase political things as they cannot be arsed with trying to convince others who would disagree that they aren't lunatics. Because ultimately when you disagree with someone politically you naturally believe they're insane. It leads to either fence sitting or trying to over rationalise why you agree with somebody or something. Take Tommy Robinson, many would be put off saying they agree with him on this because of who he is, so would try to rationalise it with "I know he's a racist c***, and I disagree with him on almost everything, but I sort of agree with what he's said there." When in reality there's f*** all wrong with agreeing with Tommy Robinson on something.

We're seeing more and more left wing people abandoning this line of thinking though.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:56:07 pm »

woeful

Is it?

He's talking about context, and if the reporter's not going to accept the context of the 'joke', then why should he accept the context of his question and instead just focus on him saying "gas the jews".  I don't know, I just know it's not the equivalent of homos say what. My opinion of course. :dontknow: :lol:

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:56:54 pm »
Abandoning the right to free thought?

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:58:06 pm »

woeful

Is it? :lol:

He's talking about context, and if the reporters not going to accept the context of the 'joke', then why should he accept the context of his question and instead just focus on him saying "gas the jews".  I don't know, I just know it's not the equivalent of homos say what. My opinion of course. :dontknow: :lol:

I compare it to when Jordan Peterson pulled up Cathy Newman, on her right to offend.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 03:59:45 pm »

woeful

Is it? :lol:

He's talking about context, and if the reporters not going to accept the context of the 'joke', then why should he accept the context of his question and instead just focus on him saying "gas the jews".  I don't know, I just know it's not the equivalent of homos say what. My opinion of course. :dontknow: :lol:

because the reporter is only repeating what he said; if he never said it in the first place then the reporter isn't saying it at all...context is irrelevant in that sense imo as he's just repeating/challenging something that has been the subject of a trial

also is his assertion that the reporter broke the law by repeating his words actually true?  i would highly doubt it, if you want to take context into account

Sleep now in the fire