Poll

Should 'Count Dankula' have been prosecuted under hate crime laws for his video?  Note: Not asking if you think it's funny, that's irrelevant.  

Yes
9 (15%)
No
51 (85%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Free Speech  (Read 28484 times)

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
Free Speech
« on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 12:38:38 pm »
What do people make of the Count Dankula stuff?  It often depends on who is framing the question, but I finally came down on the side I think whilst insensitive, was just an attempt at humour.  I mean, for fucksake, have people no idea what a Jerry Sadowitz gig is like?  Are we going to have protests at his shows, cops kicking in the door and arresting him for the blatantly racist and antisemitic stuff he says?  Yet he's a widely revered comedian, within the industry itself no less. 

Most of us said a while ago they'd 'come for comedy' at some point, and PC brigade has struck.  I mean I can't deny I laughed at the Dankula video.  It was juvenile, s****, but made smirk at a point or two.  It's not more offensive than random South Park jokes on very much the same subject.  Why are we becoming such wet fannies?  Why are we hammering on people because they gain support from 'alt-right' figures, subsequently after the rational left, and centre, have hung them out to dry because they won't stand up to increasingly over-the-top politically correct agendas for fear of the 'alt-right' tag.  Him being a fanny doesn't matter, see poll.

It's like the fannies, sorry 'millenials', that were ripping into Friends recently.  For its homophobic, fat, image shaming jokes.  Get to f***.  Just a sign of the times, some stuff we will progress on and not continue to go on about, some stuff gets held on to. 

I don't know, f***ing discuss.  Get the Peterson videos going Stan, you like that.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 25 July 2018, 06:03:48 pm by BlufPurdi »
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
Re: Free Speech or Not?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 12:47:52 pm »
Funny you should mention this, I just saw this yesterday.

The joke is a very cute animal mimicking something evil, which isn't an uncommon type of comedy, it's not "lets laugh at Jews and the holocaust".

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 12:54:23 pm »
Schooled. :lol:

I f***ing hate him an all, stupid f***ing 'hings in his ears.  Never mind that beard.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:32:23 pm »
I haven't watched the 'offending article' so can't comment. It has no appeal whatsoever, other than, I suppose, watching it would afford me the right to discuss it.

The biggest crime here is that it's being discussed at such length.

As for the vid above, where he "schooled" the interviewer. Well just great. Every time somebody says "gas the jews", it's a small victory to him. f***. I've just done it.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:38:44 pm »
Its getting out of hand now.  Ive said this before in a round about way,  everyone should be heard no matter what they stand for,  we can all listen but can disagree.  Shutting people down is a sure way of making people take extreme action or look to individuals or poltical parties to help them get  their voice heard.  These fannies are trying to control what can and cant be said,  they are turning into the self appoited language police.

Free speech,  the world is full of c***s but you cant stop people speaking their minds.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:39:03 pm »
Never like Stan to miss the point but talk at length about it anyway.

Gimp. :thup:

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:42:08 pm »
Never like Stan to miss the point but talk at length about it anyway.

Gimp. :thup:

What point have I missed?

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:43:22 pm »
You've just offered a comment after saying you haven't seen it so can't comment.

My opinion is that it's a bullshit decision and that it's a really f***ing sad day when it's c***s like Tommy Robinson who are muddying the waters and using the situation for their own rank agenda by being the ones that are pretending to stand up for freedom of speech.

It's absolutely no different to what Cartman's been doing for 20 years, does that make Trey Parker and (the Jewish) Matt Stone racists or anti-Semites? Of course it f***ing doesn't, and neither does this.
Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middle men who didn't do diddely.

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • Que será, será
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:46:54 pm »
:lol: :lol: Who was actually hurt by a pug doing a nazi salute? Were the values and goals of neo-nazis meaningfully advanced by such a video? "I wasn't too keen on them before but ever since I saw that adorable pug my eyes have been opened to the global zionist conspiracy."

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:47:38 pm »
Aye, I absolutely hate that he's willing to get up on stage with the likes of Robinson, and doesn't do his cause much good.  It's partly why I don't like him at all. 

Tommy. :thup:

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:49:57 pm »
It's completely ridiculous. Regardless of what you think of 'edgy' internet nerds there was quite clearly nothing antisemitic about the original video and there's nothing at all (from what I understand) out there to suggest he's antisemitic. I'm legitimately stunned at how you can be fined £800 for it.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:50:30 pm »
You've just offered a comment after saying you haven't seen it so can't comment.

My opinion is that it's a bullshit decision and that it's a really f***ing sad day when it's c***s like Tommy Robinson who are muddying the waters and using the situation for their own rank agenda by being the ones that are pretending to stand up for freedom of speech.

It's absolutely no different to what Cartman's been doing for 20 years, does that make Trey Parker and (the Jewish) Matt Stone racists or anti-Semites? Of course it f***ing doesn't, and neither does this.

What comment was about the video I haven't seen?

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • Que será, será
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:51:48 pm »
Stan are you piping responses into an ELIZA bot? :lol:

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:53:50 pm »
:lol:

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:54:17 pm »

THE WHOLE POINT IS ABOUT THE VIDEO YOU HAVEN'T SEEN.

It might be wise to watch the video at the centre of the debate, before going off on some irrelevant rant about him having small victories each time someone says gas the jews. 

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:54:41 pm »
Who are these PC brigade folk though? I'm a lefty millennial and I have no idea who these people are, yet I kept being told I'm part of this PC madness. Free speech to means you can say whatever you want, if what you say is deemed offensive by law then you have to deal with the consequences of that.

Framing the dog doing a salute as an attack on free speech is not correct, the issue is that the salute is deemed as offensive by a court of law. I don't think it is but lets change the laws that charged him rather than everyone shouting about FREE SPEECH IS DEAD which helps no one.

There are those who wish to stop down any debate which I disagree with, then there are those who are only using their platform to spread hatred of other people, religions and ethnicities. Both are as bad as each other, are we to let people stand at the monument shouting hatred about various groups or is it better to limit their access to such platforms to avoid it all together? I'd say let them talk and debate their views, but most of these cases there is no debate its people with an opinion with no right of reply (infowars etc).

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:54:42 pm »
I haven't watched the 'offending article' so can't comment. It has no appeal whatsoever, other than, I suppose, watching it would afford me the right to discuss it.

As for the vid above, where he "schooled" the interviewer. Well just great. Every time somebody says "gas the jews", it's a small victory to him. f***. I've just done it.

You don't think it should be discussed at length when a bloke has literally been convicted in a UK court for 'hate speech' after a clear joke?

Like an actual skit with a punchline?

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:56:00 pm »

You don't think it should be discussed at length when a bloke has literally been convicted in a UK court for 'hate speech' after a clear joke?

It wouldn't be discussed at all if he hadn't been tried.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:56:39 pm »
:facepalm:

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:58:09 pm »
He's obviously being used by the likes of Robinson, and he is using Robinson's platform to get attention, but it didn't have to be him. There are plenty of high-profile left wing columnists and activists that claim to be liberal that could have aligned themselves with him, and actually stood up for liberal values. Robinson would have gone nowhere near him if he was surrounded by guardian columnists.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 01:59:44 pm »

THE WHOLE POINT IS ABOUT THE VIDEO YOU HAVEN'T SEEN.

It might be wise to watch the video at the centre of the debate, before going off on some irrelevant rant about him having small victories each time someone says gas the jews.

Why would I need to watch the video to form an opinion on free speech?

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 02:01:11 pm »
It's the first question I ask in the opening post, perhaps? :lol:

That you can now go to jail for making stupid nazi related jokes on video?  Stuff that's actually been getting done for decades, South Park for the last 20 years for instance.

Where does that line stop?  Where should it even start? 

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 02:01:38 pm »

It wouldn't be discussed at all if he hadn't been tried.
Stan is there a reason why you convolute things like this?

He's been tried so we're discussing whether or not it's right or wrong. Either watch the video/read up on it and give your opinion or don't :lol:

Not being a dick like but howay man.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 02:02:47 pm »

And you've totally missed my point. Maybe I should have said the ONLY crime. Does that help you any?

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 April 2018, 02:02:50 pm »
Who are these PC brigade folk though? I'm a lefty millennial and I have no idea who these people are, yet I kept being told I'm part of this PC madness. Free speech to means you can say whatever you want, if what you say is deemed offensive by law then you have to deal with the consequences of that.

Framing the dog doing a salute as an attack on free speech is not correct, the issue is that the salute is deemed as offensive by a court of law. I don't think it is but lets change the laws that charged him rather than everyone shouting about FREE SPEECH IS DEAD which helps no one.

There are those who wish to stop down any debate which I disagree with, then there are those who are only using their platform to spread hatred of other people, religions and ethnicities. Both are as bad as each other, are we to let people stand at the monument shouting hatred about various groups or is it better to limit their access to such platforms to avoid it all together? I'd say let them talk and debate their views, but most of these cases there is no debate its people with an opinion with no right of reply (infowars etc).

Who's calling you part of the PC brigade? I'm left wing on most policies but have never been called PC like.