Author Topic: Independent Music Venues  (Read 936 times)

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
Independent Music Venues
« on: Thursday 8 March 2018, 03:32:30 PM »
Yo. Looking for some recommendations for an intimate, DIY (unpolished, a little bit rugged) gig venue in/around Newcastle. It's for a band called Lost Under Heaven who are in the midst of booking a tour and have been recommended Jumpin Jacks (dog & parrot) by their promoter but have asked if I know of any more interesting spaces. I have thought about Tyne Bar & Think Tank but tbh I'm out of the loop when it comes to the gig scene in Newcastle, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is the sort of vibe they're after...

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
Re: Independent Music Venues
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 8 March 2018, 03:43:02 PM »
I'm sure there's meant to be a really canny spot on or near shields road but I haven't been since moving away.

Think they might be called Little Buildings, can't speak for if they get any decent crowds or owt though.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 8 March 2018, 04:01:57 PM »
Yeah man I've been suggested Cobalt Studios and Little Buildings which seem to be bang on the vibe they're after.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 8 March 2018, 08:45:31 PM »
Cluny?
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 8 March 2018, 09:03:56 PM »
Cluny?

It's okay, I think they're looking for something they can work with a bit more to create a unique experience, more of a blank canvas if you will; as whilst the Cluny is decent, it's pretty standard and rigid not really allowing the artists much room for manoeuvre ideas wise given it's just the usual raised stage setup. Although it's better than the dog & parrot imo (atleast from my experience of it a few years ago), so I'll still send it over as an option.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 8 March 2018, 09:07:22 PM »
Dog and Parrot used to be great for the type of gig you're talking about. Dunno what it's like these days.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 8 March 2018, 09:16:00 PM »
Dog and Parrot used to be great for the type of gig you're talking about. Dunno what it's like these days.

It's the upstairs bit aye? You're probably more qualified to say how good or bad it is than me as I've only been the once in about 2013 for a small local gig and remember being a bit underwhelmed by the place although that easily could have been more a reflection of the specific event itself and not the venue...

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 8 March 2018, 09:20:31 PM »

It's the upstairs bit aye? You're probably more qualified to say how good or bad it is than me as I've only been the once in about 2013 for a small local gig and remember being a bit underwhelmed by the place although that easily could have been more a reflection of the specific event itself and not the venue...

I'm definitely not. Last time I was up there was 1997.  ;D

The manager then was spot on, The venue was ours and he just ran the bar.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 8 March 2018, 10:21:40 PM »
:thup: Nice man, that's the way like.

I feel it generally has a decent name for itself, I've always just considered it one for the local scene and not a proper venue for a touring band, starting to get the impression that that's not very accurate however and is just my own judgement based on very little.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 8 March 2018, 10:34:39 PM »
:thup: Nice man, that's the way like.

I feel it generally has a decent name for itself, I've always just considered it one for the local scene and not a proper venue for a touring band, starting to get the impression that that's not very accurate however and is just my own judgement based on very little.

You may have a point about local scene v touring like. If you know you have fans that you can count on to turn up, then 1997 would be a great time to play there.