Author Topic: Personal Finance Thread  (Read 28853 times)

NEEJ, Super Duper Branko Strupar, Sergio, Dr.Spaceman, Slim, Adam^ and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online neesy111

• General Member
Re: Personal Finance Thread
« Reply #375 on: Thursday 7 January 2021, 05:27:43 PM »
We are in for one almighty crash imo.

Online r0cafella

• General Member
« Reply #376 on: Friday 8 January 2021, 03:02:52 AM »
I’m not sure Neesy, money is so cheap now. People can pump leverage for practically free. The excess liquidity has nowhere to go other than the markets. When rates rise the market will crash but that’s why the rates won’t be increased any time soon.
United we stand, divided we fall.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #377 on: Friday 8 January 2021, 11:44:50 AM »
I’m not sure Neesy, money is so cheap now. People can pump leverage for practically free. The excess liquidity has nowhere to go other than the markets. When rates rise the market will crash but that’s why the rates won’t be increased any time soon.

But what happens when people want to take the money out especially as the realities of the economic depression finally feed into the economies across the world.  I understand why money is going into everything at the moment, but this happened in the great depression as well you had a huge rally then it all fell apart.

Online r0cafella

• General Member
« Reply #378 on: Friday 8 January 2021, 12:18:12 PM »
I think we see the same thing, flash crashes with Govts and central banks offering even more liquidity and putting a floor under asset prices like we saw the fed do.

I mean how long has QE been going on for now? :lol:

We may get to a point. Where we are a run on the pound though, especially if investors lose confidence and call BS on the BOE buying UK GOVT bonds.
United we stand, divided we fall.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #379 on: Friday 8 January 2021, 01:03:46 PM »
I think we see the same thing, flash crashes with Govts and central banks offering even more liquidity and putting a floor under asset prices like we saw the fed do.

We may get to a point. Where we are a run on the pound though, especially if investors lose confidence and call BS on the BOE buying UK GOVT bonds.

:thup:

Online Matt

• General Member
« Reply #380 on: Friday 8 January 2021, 01:18:19 PM »

This is pretty much where I'm at. I've been mostly cash for 4-5 years now so all I've done is massacre the value. There are funds I looked at in 2016 (such as Fundsmith) which I decided against and is now up 80%.

The game is too big to fail now. Any response to crisis will be through monetary policy, saving equity holders and torching savers just as it has been before. Savers tend not to realise the real value of their money being eroded so it's the easier route out.

I do think there are some serious bubble stocks out there (some with big market caps) so I'd be wary of buying pure passive trackers, but looking at investment trusts I can see some easy ways to get exposure to a well-managed portfolio at a low cost.

I would also encourage people to avoid anything with major UK exposure. As our long-term job prospects are linked to the UK economy (for most of us), you don't want to be in position where everything goes down the tubes at once. I am pretty pleased that the Brexit outcome has not hammered the pound too badly but that risk is still only round the corner.

Offline Decky

• General Member
« Reply #381 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 07:04:47 PM »
Lloyds Bank did a hard credit check on me today and I've no idea why they did that. Has this ever happened to anyone on here? Is this something I should be contacting them about?
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Offline Dinho lad

• i lov u hatem
  • General Member
« Reply #382 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 07:09:10 PM »
Did you apply for a loan (or something) with one of their affiliates?

Offline Decky

• General Member
« Reply #383 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 07:11:31 PM »
No I haven't applied for any finance recently. Could be a sign that someone is trying to do it with my details maybe?

Online Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #384 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 07:11:51 PM »
So I've some how managed to save some cash away this year even though I've had little work. What's the best place to start investing some of this? I'd looked in the past at shares however buying individually seems to be full of costs and fees. Then there are other trackers and ISA etc but not sure if they are worth it.

Online Matt

• General Member
« Reply #385 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 07:33:49 PM »
So I've some how managed to save some cash away this year even though I've had little work. What's the best place to start investing some of this? I'd looked in the past at shares however buying individually seems to be full of costs and fees. Then there are other trackers and ISA etc but not sure if they are worth it.

Take a look at investment trusts. They are effectively listed companies that simply hold other investments and are openly traded on the LSE, so if you needed the money you could always liquidate if needed. This isn't always the case with unit funds. I've spent a bit of time looking at this over the last couple of weeks so if you can give a bit more in terms of what you're looking for, I can maybe give a few ideas. If you want only very broad exposure, you could look to trackers as the cheapest route, but for a little more you can get access to some good investment managers.

Buying individual shares is naturally more risky and if you are looking at this as genuine long-term investment and not just as fun with a financial return, it's probably not the place to start.

Also always put your money to work in an ISA first- it's income and capital gains tax free and the £20k allowance expired at the end of each tax year.

Online Matt

• General Member
« Reply #386 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 07:34:42 PM »
No I haven't applied for any finance recently. Could be a sign that someone is trying to do it with my details maybe?

If you aren't a customer of theirs, I would get in touch with them asap.

Offline Decky

• General Member
« Reply #387 on: Monday 11 January 2021, 08:12:37 PM »
Called Lloyds and they couldn't help me with it. :lol: It's coming up on Credit Karma. Are they reliable?

Online Slim

• General Member
« Reply #388 on: Tuesday 12 January 2021, 07:57:36 AM »

Are looking to save for a home or retirement? if so I Would go for a lifetime ISA as hard to beat the %25 gov bonus.  After that look at using that ISA money to invest in things like Vanguard retirement 2050 (Loads more)  Fees are nowhere near as big when compared to individual shares.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #389 on: Tuesday 12 January 2021, 08:15:11 AM »
Called Lloyds and they couldn't help me with it. :lol: It's coming up on Credit Karma. Are they reliable?

I've had wrong things appear on my credit report. Go straight to the credit agency, they'll remove it.

Online Slim

• General Member
« Reply #390 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 09:29:08 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55629984

Games Workshop, which makes the tabletop miniature game, saw sales hit a record £186.8m in the period, up 26%.

Shares down 7% lol!

I'm buying some more

Offline Ben

• General Member
« Reply #391 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 10:06:52 AM »
Tui and Saga are currently tanking

Online Slim

• General Member
« Reply #392 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:33:10 PM »

I bought £500 worth of Saga pre pandemic and it was looking good.  Just decided to check Saga in 3 years times and see where it is at.

Offline Ben

• General Member
« Reply #393 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 01:54:44 PM »

I bought £500 worth of Saga pre pandemic and it was looking good.  Just decided to check Saga in 3 years times and see where it is at.

currently p238.66 this time last year p719.88 all time high p3376 I'm fairly confident if the vaccine works it will be a good investment come the spring

Online astraguy

• General Member
« Reply #394 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:19:58 PM »
Always presumed tui was next to go bankrupt after Thomas Cook,surely jet 2 would of been a better option

Offline Ben

• General Member
« Reply #395 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
Always presumed tui was next to go bankrupt after Thomas Cook,surely jet 2 would of been a better option

I've just bought another lump of TUI through a share issue offer so I'm banking on this year picking up.

Online Slim

• General Member
« Reply #396 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 05:23:26 PM »

I've just bought another lump of TUI through a share issue offer so I'm banking on this year picking up.

I would not be going near it.  But hopefully for you this is correct https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/397263/tui-fundamentally-sound-and-will-return-to-profitability

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #397 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 01:51:55 PM »
Last year, at the start of lockdown, I tried to buy 1 bitcoin for around £6k. Joined up with Coinbase, went through all the ID stuff, went to transfer £6k and my bank wouldn't allow it. Rather than ring them and complain (and sort it), I thought I'd deal with it later and get back on it. Thinking it was only likely to rise and fall under a grand from the price, I wasn't proactive enough. Time got away.

Imagine how I feel now seeing a bitcoin at nearly £25k!!!! :lol: :'( :lol: :'( :lol: :'(

Still hate Co-op for being little bitches.

Could be worse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55658942

Online Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #398 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 02:05:34 PM »
Last year, at the start of lockdown, I tried to buy 1 bitcoin for around £6k. Joined up with Coinbase, went through all the ID stuff, went to transfer £6k and my bank wouldn't allow it. Rather than ring them and complain (and sort it), I thought I'd deal with it later and get back on it. Thinking it was only likely to rise and fall under a grand from the price, I wasn't proactive enough. Time got away.

Imagine how I feel now seeing a bitcoin at nearly £25k!!!! :lol: :'( :lol: :'( :lol: :'(

Still hate Co-op for being little bitches.

Could be worse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55658942

Could be even worse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55645408

Online Matt

• General Member
« Reply #399 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 02:46:09 PM »
I've bought into some equity funds today, so a good signal to run for the hills.