VAR to be used in the Premier League, are you:

Happy
66 (54.5%)
Ambivalent
38 (31.4%)
Angry
17 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Video Assistant Referees (VAR)  (Read 23851 times)

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
Re: Video Assistant Referees (VAR) - to be used in the Premier League next season
« Reply #550 on: Wednesday 8 May 2019, 02:02:28 pm »
How do other sports do it? Seem to remember sponsor logos on the big screens in cricket, not sure about rugby.

Offline LV

• General Member
Re: Video Assistant Referees (VAR) - to be used in the Premier League next season
« Reply #551 on: Wednesday 8 May 2019, 03:16:15 pm »
f*** it, let’s just not bother with the football and have a 90 min advert and be done with it.

They can just simulate the match using a computer to get the result, save us all the bother.

What an utter mess.

Offline Shelvey's Hair

• General Member
« Reply #552 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 02:56:37 pm »
Some rule changes to League as well.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/premier-league-rule-changes-next-16298032

Handballs

The IFAB has clarified the situation in regards to handball decisions ahead of next season.

Goals will be disallowed if the ball accidentally strikes a player's hand in the build-up.

A free-kick will also be awarded outside of the penalty box if a player has accidentally created an advantage by handling the ball.

Drop balls

The IFAB has also had its say on drop balls and is aiming to get rid of 'manufactured' restarts.

"The current dropped ball procedure often leads to a ‘manufactured’ restart which is ‘exploited’ unfairly or an aggressive confrontation," the IFAB explained.

"Returning the ball to the team that last played it restores what was ‘lost’ when play was stopped, except in the penalty area where it is simpler to return the ball to the goalkeeper.

"To prevent that team gaining an unfair advantage, all players of both teams, except the player receiving the ball, must be at least 4m (4.5 yds) away."

Substitutions

Another rule which has been introduced for next season sees some major alterations to substitutions.

Now players will have to leave the pitch at the nearest point rather than walk slowly across the field late in games and waste time.

Freekicks

Attacking teams will no longer be allowed to have a player in the defensive wall for a free-kick.

When there is a wall of at least three players, those on the attacking team are not allowed to stand within one metre of the wall.

"There is no legitimate tactical justification for attackers to be in the ‘wall’ and their presence is against the ‘spirit of the game’ and often damages the image of the game," an IFAB statement explained.

Penalty kicks

This has certainly been overdue with goalkeepers taking advantage on penalty situations for a while now.

But from next season they will have to have one foot on the line.

Not only must keepers be touching the line, they will not be allowed to touch the goalposts before the ball is kicked.
Cards for coaches

Premier League referees will now be able to show them a yellow card or a red card in the same way they do with players on the pitch.
« Last Edit: Monday 20 May 2019, 07:52:53 am by Shelvey's Hair »

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #553 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 05:11:02 pm »
"There is no legitimate tactical justification for attackers to be in the ‘wall’

Isn’t it so you can peel away and create a little gap? Why are the attacking team being penalised?
?s=21

Online HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #554 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 05:55:15 pm »
"There is no legitimate tactical justification for attackers to be in the ‘wall’

Isn’t it so you can peel away and create a little gap? Why are the attacking team being penalised?

Apparently for fouls through pushing the defenders in the wall. I can't remember any instances of such fouls myself but that's what I've heard that the change is for.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #555 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 05:59:07 pm »
Shearer’s free-kick at Man U in the 5-3 would probably be disallowed for a foul by Jenas now.
?s=21

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #556 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 06:01:57 pm »

Apparently for fouls through pushing the defenders in the wall. I can't remember any instances of such fouls myself but that's what I've heard that the change is for.
Tedfy Sheringham was a master in the art of pulling the last man in the wall away to create a gap.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #557 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 10:14:57 pm »
Changing the rules to make life easier for the VAR people. No more ambiguity with handballs, if it hits a hand, and it can be seen on camera it's a handball.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #558 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 10:30:26 pm »
Changing the rules to make life easier for the VAR people. No more ambiguity with handballs, if it hits a hand, and it can be seen on camera it's a handball.

So are we saying that intention doesn't matter at all? I guess there is a good argument for that (since it's extremely hard to judge), but it sets a bit of a precedent that whether you intend to commit any foul or not, all that matters is whether or not a foul was committed. Implications being - diving/gamesmanship, violent conduct, the difference between a yellow and red card challenge, bringing someone down on the break (accidentally or not)...

Offline Gallowgate End

• General Member
« Reply #559 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 10:52:08 pm »
Be way too many games decided by penalties if we start giving unintentional hand balls too.

Crystal Penalty Fc already win enough matches via penalties than to have a rule change that will give them even more.

Last thing Newcastle want is it to become a penalty league table we’d get relegated every year :lol:

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #560 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 12:44:41 am »
Probably not footballers operating the system, so they won't have a clue about intent. It's a technical solution seeking technical confirmation.

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #561 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 01:22:36 am »
:lol: it can't be any handball is a foul man, you would have attackers deliberately kicking the ball at defenders arms to win a penalty if that's the case.

Online DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #562 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 05:40:10 am »
VAR brought to you by Specsavers

:lol: very good

Offline Shelvey's Hair

• General Member
« Reply #563 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 07:49:17 am »
:lol: it can't be any handball is a foul man, you would have attackers deliberately kicking the ball at defenders arms to win a penalty if that's the case.

I think it just applies to attackers and whoever tries to seek an advanage from it.

"Goals will be disallowed if the ball accidentally strikes a player's hand in the build-up."

"A free-kick will also be awarded outside of the penalty box if a player has accidentally created an advantage by handling the ball."

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #564 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 10:26:59 am »
I thought goalkeepers already had to have one foot on the line when the penalty is struck?

Not that they ever enforce it.

Offline Gallowgate End

• General Member
« Reply #565 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 10:43:42 am »
Can’t wait for Andre Marriner to book Rafa Benitez next season for giving him a thumbs up from the touchline :lol:

Mike Dean is going to absolutely have his way with that cards for manager rule.

Bet that rule was thought up by him.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #567 on: Monday 10 June 2019, 10:53:08 pm »
 :lol: mathematics ffs, it's just about trying to get more right decisions than without it.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #568 on: Monday 10 June 2019, 11:19:50 pm »
Did you even read it?

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #569 on: Monday 10 June 2019, 11:24:44 pm »
Unfortunately yes, utter mawkish bollocks.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #570 on: Monday 10 June 2019, 11:26:05 pm »
I take it you're content to extend VAR to every single thing that happens on the pitch? As the article points out, being pro-VAR and not wanting that to happen is preposterous and inherently contradictory because in football, every decision is potentially as big as every other one.

Offline Pata

• General Member
  • N-O FF Champ 2018
« Reply #572 on: Monday 10 June 2019, 11:28:04 pm »
Every syllable is bang on.

https://www.football365.com/news/on-the-scourge-of-var-football-should-be-poetry-not-mathematics

Absolute horseshit article. I will never understand people that think refereeing errors somehow add to the game and experience.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #573 on: Monday 10 June 2019, 11:35:42 pm »
I will never understand how anyone thinks standing around waiting for someone hundreds of miles away to watch a video of where somebody's toenail was adds to the game or experience. As he says, it's very much a personal thing. I already liked football enough before this total nonsense was introduced.

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #574 on: Monday 10 June 2019, 11:36:02 pm »
I take it you're content to extend VAR to every single thing that happens on the pitch? As the article points out, being pro-VAR and not wanting that to happen is preposterous and inherently contradictory because in football, every decision is potentially as big as every other one.

Erm no, that's why it's only been brought in for the bigger moments.