VAR to be used in the Premier League, are you:

Happy
67 (52.3%)
Ambivalent
41 (32%)
Angry
20 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Author Topic: Video Assistant Referees (VAR)  (Read 27305 times)

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
Re: Video Assistant Referees (VAR)
« Reply #850 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 07:17:38 pm »
Conspiracy theory time - do you reckon there's some games where it's just been f***ed and they've not wanted to admit it?  There's been a few games where there's been multiple incidents which seemed clear VAR candidates and they've not gone to it once and games where they seem keen to wheel it out for a laugh every few minutes.  I mean if they start the game and the feed to the VAR suite is down, or one of the machines isn't working properly, what do they do?  Do they tell the ref "Sorry, tell the players no VAR today?"  In which case you're going to get managers and fans asking for games to be replayed, because it's not a level playing field with a relegation/title rival playing in a game where VAR is working and their injustice can be fixed.  But they're not going to stop the game until they fix it, or send the fans home and reschedule it, are they, for one it would be a farce and for another it would lead to angry demands to shelve the system altogether.

So it wouldn't surprise me if it had happened and the ref was quietly told not to refer anything to it for that game and just claim the incidents weren't contentious enough.

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #851 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 08:56:17 pm »
Conspiracy theory time - do you reckon there's some games where it's just been f***ed and they've not wanted to admit it?  There's been a few games where there's been multiple incidents which seemed clear VAR candidates and they've not gone to it once and games where they seem keen to wheel it out for a laugh every few minutes.  I mean if they start the game and the feed to the VAR suite is down, or one of the machines isn't working properly, what do they do?  Do they tell the ref "Sorry, tell the players no VAR today?"  In which case you're going to get managers and fans asking for games to be replayed, because it's not a level playing field with a relegation/title rival playing in a game where VAR is working and their injustice can be fixed.  But they're not going to stop the game until they fix it, or send the fans home and reschedule it, are they, for one it would be a farce and for another it would lead to angry demands to shelve the system altogether.

So it wouldn't surprise me if it had happened and the ref was quietly told not to refer anything to it for that game and just claim the incidents weren't contentious enough.

Sounds a good theory & it there was something massively contentious you imagine the ‘base’ screen would see that ie the tv coverage so they could cover it

All in all the way they have put it in the premier league is an absolutely shambles
« Last Edit: Sunday 15 September 2019, 08:57:38 pm by BlueStar »
Follow me on twitter @tgarve

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #852 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 09:38:17 pm »
They might aswell scrap it for penalties as they aren't using it anyway, Lascelles yesterday ffs :lol:

Offline Ankles Bennett

• General Member
« Reply #853 on: Yesterday at 01:30:48 am »
They need to adopt the cricket and tennis system of review.  One review per team per game if the manager disagrees with the refs decision.

Online Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #854 on: Yesterday at 07:00:14 am »
I think that would make it worse.
?s=21

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #855 on: Yesterday at 08:42:01 am »
I don’t really agree with the principle of reviews, it the point is to get the right result they should really look at everything.

Seems like it’s this desire to ‘protect’ the referee on the field that causes issues. Either have VAR or decide the referee is good enough, difficult to have both.