Author Topic: The unpopular football opinion thread  (Read 64218 times)

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
Re: The unpopular football opinion thread
« Reply #1375 on: Wednesday 15 May 2019, 11:41:33 pm »
Football is worse off with Mourinho not managing.

No doubt he’ll be back soon, but it feels like he’s somehow underrated. Probably because he’s an arsehole.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #1376 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 01:01:59 pm »
I used to like him but he’s just got more and more unbearable over time.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #1377 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 01:05:50 pm »
He's a good manager who will always win stuff but his record with bringing young players through and building anything that lasts beyond 3 years or so is poor.  He's obsessed with trophies and his own record in that regard.  Plus he's been deeply unpleasant when in a management role for quite a long time now.  Also his obsession with trophies and nullifying tactics lead to loads of dead rubber borefests whenever he's involved.  Maybe he'll mature/mellow with age, otherwise I think most have had their fill of him.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #1378 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 01:09:59 pm »
I think he’s getting worse with age, not better.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #1379 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 01:19:26 pm »
I agree tbh although he seems a bit less psychotic in his recent punditry.  Probs be insufferable again once he's in a job though, aye.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #1380 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 01:28:54 pm »
No idea what happened in his last half season at Chelsea but that Man United job seems like a poisoned chalice to anyone atm. The guy is still the most successful manager in world football in the last 15 years alongside Pep Guardiola. After this break he needs to do a Rafa and go to a smaller club than those at the very top imo.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline La Parka

• Not Leeds Mag
  • General Member
  • Walk with Elias
« Reply #1381 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 07:17:37 pm »
He can come here and replace Rafa then :lol:

Offline The Prophet

• General Member
« Reply #1382 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 07:18:45 pm »
Sarri hasn't done a bad job at Chelsea this season.
It's basically what gives us the upper hand even in times of crisis. "Cannit wait man, we're gonna batter them, hope it's 4 or 5 nil, fancy such and such for a hat trick, we're going got Europe, they're a yo-yo team" Then five minutes into the game "s***, why haven't we scored? They've had a shot! Why aren't we all over them? How come there are two teams in the game? f***, what if we don't win? f***s SAKE CLEAR IT SHOOT TACKLE HIM BOO! What if we lose, PANIC PANIC BRUCE MAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHY DID HE MISS THAT SHOT, IS HE A MAG?! IT'S BECAUSE BRUCE IS A MAG! f*** OFF STEWARD ARE YOU A f***ing MAG? BET ALL THESE COPPERS ARE MAGS, AND THE MEDIA! THE REF'S A f***ing MAG! AM I A MAG?! Wait, blacked out for a second there. Ah, f***, we've lost again."

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #1383 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 08:35:02 pm »

:thup: quietly getting them to 3rd in the league with a shot at winning the EL. Very good season.

Offline Gallowgate End

• General Member
« Reply #1384 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 08:39:50 pm »
He can come here and replace Rafa then :lol:

Probably the only replacement of Rafa I’d be happy with :lol:

Online triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #1385 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 09:09:42 pm »
Rates sacked in disgrace in his last two jobs Mourinho, doesn't rate Keegan/any other manager
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline Stottie

• General Member
  • Aal these sheep and you've got nae bacon!
« Reply #1386 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 12:10:41 am »

:thup: quietly getting them to 3rd in the league with a shot at winning the EL. Very good season.

Yes it is. He's transforming the way they play, which is always going to take time. 4 goals and 4 assists for Kante this year, so pushing him further forward might not be as crazy as it initially sounded.

Online triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
« Reply #1387 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 12:41:54 pm »
Know this will make the idiots fume but to add to that Chelsea underperformed their expected goals by 14 points which shows that they would have done way better if they had a better striker too
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Online Greg

« Reply #1388 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 01:08:19 pm »
Know this will make the idiots fume but to add to that Chelsea underperformed their expected goals by 14 points which shows that they would have done way better if they had a better striker too

Where are you getting this from? Their xG was 63.97 and they scored 63 goals.

Online triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
« Reply #1389 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 01:31:41 pm »

Sorry expected points I meant

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonGleave/status/1127844093336408064?s=19

Online Greg

« Reply #1390 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 01:42:16 pm »

Sorry expected points I meant

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonGleave/status/1127844093336408064?s=19

Hmm.

Wonder what the different methodologies are used as this one has Chelsea getting more than their xP.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Offline Gallowgate End

• General Member
« Reply #1391 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 01:58:15 pm »
Time to put the xG stats to bed lads :laugh:

Offline xLiaaamx

• General Member
« Reply #1392 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 09:08:16 pm »
He's more ruthless than Rafa (and that's saying something) but Rafa's a good, kind man underneath all that who wants to bring others up. Jose's bitter, angry and doesn't help anyone but himself long term. Buys himself short term success then buzzes off. That's great if a team can follow up with something that lasts after him. Not sure he'd do much good for a smaller team though.

Offline Exiled in Texas

• General Member
« Reply #1393 on: Wednesday 22 May 2019, 07:10:48 pm »
People using the term "Invest in the club" when they really mean "spend money on the club without getting a return".

I don't think people really understand what "Investing" means, compared to Spending.   

RTG is a prime example of wanting to "Invest" £50M to produce a more entertaining team but it would only raise the value of the club by £20M

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #1394 on: Wednesday 22 May 2019, 07:15:49 pm »
Seems a perfectly appropriate word to use iyam.

"Expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result"