Author Topic: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle United - 14/09/19 - reaction from page 11  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
Re: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle United - 14/09/19 - reaction from page 11
« Reply #300 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 05:35:09 pm »
Frustrates me when we beat ourselves with mistakes on these types of margins.

I thought Joelinton needed to have a wack at goal in the second half instead of laying it off. Man needs to strike the ball ffs.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #301 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 05:42:02 pm »
You say it Joe-Linton right? Commentator on TalkSport had Joe Ellington, like some sort of rugby league player.

Let’s not get started on Jethro Williams.

Offline Disco

« Reply #302 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 05:42:52 pm »
You say it Joe-Linton right? Commentator on TalkSport had Joe Ellington, like some sort of rugby league player.

JoELinton

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #303 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 05:44:03 pm »
Oh. Fair enough.

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #304 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 05:44:35 pm »

I believe it's Joseph Linton.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #305 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 09:52:08 pm »
My first Toon game since Fulham away last season, here’s my match report if anyone’s interested... :lol:

Spoiler
[close]
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Online Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #306 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 10:59:12 pm »
You are.

Which is what elite managers like Rafa do in the pursuit of success and excellence.

If Schar does what you wanted and the ball gets flicked to Wijnaldum, then he’d be at fault.
?s=21

Offline Greg

« Reply #307 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 11:26:18 pm »
You are.

Which is what elite managers like Rafa do in the pursuit of success and excellence.

If Schar does what you wanted and the ball gets flicked to Wijnaldum, then he’d be at fault.

Can't really be viewed in such isolation, Dummett and Manquilo make bigger mistakes that contribute more to this than Schar. Bit of a mess all round and it was a great touch by Firmino.

Offline Sean

• General Member
« Reply #308 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 12:19:10 am »
You are.

We don't have an elite manager any more though. There is no pursuit of success or excellence allowed at NUFC.
“I think when we score it will be from a penalty or a set play or maybe a shot from the edge of the area or a ricochet. Hopefully.” Alan Pardew, August 2014

Offline loki679

• General Member
« Reply #309 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 03:40:45 am »
My first Toon game since Fulham away last season, here’s my match report if anyone’s interested... :lol:

Spoiler
[close]

tl:dr - Couple of guys watched the match on an ipad in the van.  HTT wasn't bothered.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline mighty__mag

• General Member
  • ⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛
« Reply #310 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 10:52:52 am »
See we're still happy to have the enormous gap between the midfield and forwards. Basically sit you're midfield on top of your back five, leave Almiron as some sort of box to box headless chicken with Joelinton like the rest of us wondering what the f*** he's supposed to do.

It's no wonder a fullback scored today and our second best chance fell again to a fullback, because on occasions they are the only attacking outlet.

Pure s*** to sit through.

It's not good to watch, but I'm not sure we'd do any better if we pressed higher up the pitch. If you do that, you need players who can score goals because you will be a lot more open to counters.

Didn't worry Norwich with half their squad out embarrassing the champions. If we are going to approach games with a we'll lose anyway mentality or if we lose let's not make it by 6 or 7, we may as well stick out the under 23s.
"The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

Offline TRon

• General Member
« Reply #311 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 11:53:11 am »
See we're still happy to have the enormous gap between the midfield and forwards. Basically sit you're midfield on top of your back five, leave Almiron as some sort of box to box headless chicken with Joelinton like the rest of us wondering what the f*** he's supposed to do.

It's no wonder a fullback scored today and our second best chance fell again to a fullback, because on occasions they are the only attacking outlet.

It's not good to watch, but I'm not sure we'd do any better if we pressed higher up the pitch. If you do that, you need players who can score goals because you will be a lot more open to counters.

Didn't worry Norwich with half their squad out embarrassing the champions. If we are going to approach games with a we'll lose anyway mentality or if we lose let's not make it by 6 or 7, we may as well stick out the under 23s.

I read in one of the other threads that Norwich only had 31% possession though. Seems like they changed their approach to a more defensive one as well.

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #312 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 12:31:08 pm »
Norwich scored from a corner, a counter attack, and a howler by a defender. They defended well and had a great day overall. Their players didn’t make many mistakes and it could easily have been one of the best they’ll ever play in their collective careers in terms of individual and team performances.

Man City missed numerous chances in front of goal that you’d say 90% of the time they would score from. This includes headers that glanced over and hit post and shots right at the keeper from point blank.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Offline mighty__mag

• General Member
  • ⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛
« Reply #313 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 12:35:23 pm »

I read in one of the other threads that Norwich only had 31% possession though. Seems like they changed their approach to a more defensive one as well.

That's a reasonable amount of possession against City.

When we played Man City in 2017 and camped on our goal line, the first half saw City with 85% possession.

A newly promoted side like norwich didn't approach this game any differently, so far in the games they have played they have approached them all the same, especially at home, their attitude so far has been to have a go at sides. They embarrassed us at their place, they had a right go at Liverpool lost 4-1 but with 42% possession? At home they dont seem to care who's put in front of them.

Before anyone else adds anything, I'm never claiming we should be beating this Liverpool side away, but equally im not expecting a newly promoted injury ravaged side to beat the most expensive side in football. But im impressed with their approach to games and that they didn't go into it thinking well probably lose this regardless.
"The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #314 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 06:05:38 pm »

Spoiler
[close]

tl:dr - Couple of guys watched the match on an ipad in the van.  HTT wasn't bothered.

You read that s*** :lol: probably more bothered than I let on 😢
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Astroblack

• mkdisciple
  • General Member
« Reply #315 on: Tuesday 17 September 2019, 05:17:51 am »

That's a reasonable amount of possession against City.

When we played Man City in 2017 and camped on our goal line, the first half saw City with 85% possession.

A newly promoted side like norwich didn't approach this game any differently, so far in the games they have played they have approached them all the same, especially at home, their attitude so far has been to have a go at sides. They embarrassed us at their place, they had a right go at Liverpool lost 4-1 but with 42% possession? At home they dont seem to care who's put in front of them.

Before anyone else adds anything, I'm never claiming we should be beating this Liverpool side away, but equally im not expecting a newly promoted injury ravaged side to beat the most expensive side in football. But im impressed with their approach to games and that they didn't go into it thinking well probably lose this regardless.

Not sure our team can do what Norwich do tbh. They have a lot of quick nippy players in their team. Our’s are more physical. We only really have Atsu and Almiron that can run with the ball. Not sure I'd even want them going that way. Think the structured approach is the way to go.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 17 September 2019, 03:19:43 pm by Astroblack »

Offline ujpest doza

• Thick as f*ck
  • General Member
« Reply #316 on: Wednesday 18 September 2019, 02:39:59 pm »

JoELinton
Alan Smith was calling him Joey Linton the other week, emphasising the E.

Offline themanupstairs

• General Member
  • nee blasties
« Reply #317 on: Yesterday at 11:45:08 pm »
FFS it's not that hard. It's pronounced Jo-elle-inton
Fear is the mindkiller

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #318 on: Yesterday at 11:53:33 pm »
FFS it's not that hard. It's pronounced Jo-elle-inton

Joe L. Inton.

"We do both kinds. We do Country AAAND Western".